• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 case priming

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
Hey guys
I have been reloading once fired brass but most of the brass does not have a beveled primer pocket. So when you try to re-prime them it usually damages the primer. To fix the problem I have been using a deburring tool to bevel the pocket but I was hopeing that somebody had a better trade secret. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: 223 case priming

Sounds like you are reloading military brass with a primer crimp.
The best thing going is the Dillon swager. About 100 bucks shipped but if you do a lot of crimped cases you will be asking
yourself why you didn't do this sooner after 5 min of using.

Another alternative is the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449495 .

The only bad thing is I just checked all the online suppliers that I have listed in my "favorites" tab...and nobody had it in stock. I listed Midsouth Shooters simply because at least they show it on order with an expected in-stock date not too far away.

I've used this tool to swage approx 1500 cases so far and I'm happy with it. Although I would imagine the Dillon is a nicer product, albeit more expensive.

ETA:

Although using a chamfer tool to remove the crimp works, I suggest and recommend using a swaging tool of one type or another. I simply don't like to remove any brass from around the primer pocket area. I feel that it weakens the primer pocket and reduces the life of the brass.

Thanks for the advice guys I will definitely see if I can get a hold of one of those swaging tools.

I would use an RCBS military crimp remover". It puts a slight bevel to the poening of the primer pocket, it is fool proof and every one will be identical.
myerfire

I have tried both and own both the RCBS unit is cheaper and if space on your loading bench is a concern it is a great way to go ( if your using single stage press) the Dillon is a bit more cash but I think it is faster and have had no trouble with it ( had a little with the RCBS ) but it does take up space on the bench

both will work just depends how fast you want to work and if you have the space.

I have used both RCBS and Dillon. Dillon is by far a better set-up if you are going to do volume.
Cutting the pockets is fine as well for a few cases. Chamfering the pocket doesn't hurt the pocket at all provided you don't go to deep. Take a close look at a factory round and you will see that there is a rounded edge. Try to keep the bevel you cut to the same depth.

I use the Dillon. I don't mount it to the bench. When I need it, I C-clamp it to the bench. Takes up no rooom that way. If you get one, make sure you mount it on the edge of your bench so that the handle can travel unrestricted below the bench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Dillon. I don't mount it to the bench. When I need it, I C-clamp it to the bench. Takes up no rooom that way. If you get one, make sure you mount it on the edge of your bench so that the handle can travel unrestricted below the bench. </div></div>

I do it the same way. I also have my Forster case trimmers set up attached to blocks that can also be quickly clamped when needed and out of the way when not.

I likely differ from Rookie though, in that I intensely dislike the Cowboys
laugh.gif

I have been using an old very slow drill press and a modified centerdrill for years, maybe it is time to upgrade