• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 chasis gun, anybody regret it?

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
I have a Rem 700 SPS Tactical .223. Its wearing a BC Medalist stock. This is my.little do it all rifle. It gets carried on Coyote hunts it gets to go ground squirrel shooting, and its my little long range trainer. I love the gun but one thing I noticed yesterday is I much prefer the fit and feel of my RPR compared to the traditional stock on the Rem.

I've been considering dropping it in a KRG chasis. My biggest concern is the magazines. Anyone build a .223 chasis rifle and regret it? Any lessons learned or wisdom to share?

I am hoping everything settles down. This next spring I am thinking about rebarreling with a 24" proof barrel. I'm also on the fence of going AI or not. I shoot 90% reloads in this rifle. Does the 223AI play nicely with the AICS pattern mags?

I run 223AI in a Ruger RPR for the local 600yd PRS/NRL matches. I use MDT and Ruger mags and it feeds great no issues. I am running 75gr ELD bullets at 3000fps, with no pressure and no problems in the rain. It’s a laser.

Reactions: flyfisher117
I have done a couple .223s and loved them. Ran aics mags on both, first one sat in a legacy AICS chassis and the second one in a Remington RACS. No regrets and been a lot of fun. Even did one in 300blk. If it’s gonna be a “do it all” the only lesson I learned is watch the weight, they get heavy quick.

2D15ABF1-E467-40CE-9148-6B942FD167CD.jpeg

I have done a couple .223s and loved them. Ran aics mags on both, first one sat in a legacy AICS chassis and the second one in a Remington RACS. No regrets and been a lot of fun. Even did one in 300blk. If it’s gonna be a “do it all” the only lesson I learned is watch the weight, they get heavy quick.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. My 700p 223 wasn’t a bit heavy but in its AICS 1.5 non folding chassis it’s way too heavy to drag through the woods hunting.

Reactions: DJ 480
-0- regrets on my Savage 12FV put into an Oryx chassis. I swapped out the barrel for a 7 twist .223 Wylde and load up 75gr ELD-Ms till the primers are about ready to crater. It's my wife's favorite gun at the long range. She has built up a lot of confidence and hits MOA targets at 500 yards with relative ease.

I just built a TL3 223 wylde that sits in a bravo or a 700 pro. It’s been a ton of fun. Cheaper to shoot, and has been impressive out to 800 so far. May want to avoid the AI if you ever want to use it in the Tactical class.

they made a 223 rpr I think... might be able to find one if you really like them.

No regrets whatsoever, 8 twist 223AI shooting 75 eldm’s at 3kfps and it’s a hammer, one of my favourite rifles to shoot.

Mine is a Tikka action on ESS chassis. Feeds the AI cases fine even from stock MDT poly mags, but a little work on the feed ramp and mag lips and the rounds just bounce themselves straight into the chamber.

Just picked up a Kelbly's Atlas Tactical with a 24" 223AI Proof steel barrel on it(Sendero Lite contour). Put a Bix n Andy Tac Sport two stage in it, and the KRG X-Ray will be here tomorrow.

I've heard zero complaints from anyone who's owned an AI... its gonna be a fun rifle. I've always preferred traditional stocks, so this will also be my first chassis'ed rifle

Just dropped a Tikka T3X in an MPA chassis and shot it at the range for the first time today. I need to get busy with some custom loads for this guy, only had some crap 55gr pmc on hand. Super fun to shoot.

I run 223AI in a Ruger RPR for the local 600yd PRS/NRL matches. I use MDT and Ruger mags and it feeds great no issues. I am running 75gr ELD bullets at 3000fps, with no pressure and no problems in the rain. It’s a laser.
What length barrel? I'm wanting to run 77 SMKs or similar.

I paid about a grand for a beautiful all metal chassis, that I won’t say who the maker was. Every time I pull the trigger it made a audible “twang” noise. Sounded like a damn banjo. The metal heated up in the Florida sun in minutes and in the cold it always felt colder. I sold it and I don’t recommend the all metal ones for the reasons I mentioned. I got a AICS and it’s decent and I also like my krg whiskey 3 and bravo’s. The bravo is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Damn good chassis and if you don’t like it you can get most of your money back any time.

Reactions: VargmatII

Weight is a concern. I was thinking a KRG Bravo and a Carbon Proof barrel would keep weight down a bit. Even the KRG Whiskey isn't overly heavy but I wondered if the Bravo would be better for what I'm doing.
-0- regrets on my Savage 12FV put into an Oryx chassis. I swapped out the barrel for a 7 twist .223 Wylde and load up 75gr ELD-Ms till the primers are about ready to crater. It's my wife's favorite gun at the long range. She has built up a lot of confidence and hits MOA targets at 500 yards with relative ease.

What length is the barrel? I had my fiancee shooting mine at 500 yards. She said it was boring and went to shoot her pistol lol.

they made a 223 rpr I think... might be able to find one if you really like them.

They did. I dont love the RPR enough to want another though.

Bravos are nice on a 223, I have two of them.

The XRay is also pretty light if you haven’t looked at it yet.

Weight is a concern. I was thinking a KRG Bravo and a Carbon Proof barrel would keep weight down a bit. Even the KRG Whiskey isn't overly heavy but I wondered if the Bravo would be better for what I'm doing.

I'll have my X-ray tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll post up what it weighs and you can see what it looks like. For the money, definitely look into the X-ray as well...

5 round Accurate Mags and 10 round MDT poly mags have been rather perfect in .223 and .223AI for me.

They both need a bit of love for the 75+ grain bullets, but WELL worth the effort.

Push the follower down with a few spent cases and get out the Dremel.

1/2 a beer job at the most.

Honestly, I've never caught the chassis fever.

I don't watch the chassis process closely, but I'm still trying to figure out just how one can fill a gap in my life or my shooting style that isn't already covered by either my AR's or my conventional stock rifles.

I'm open to being wrong, and would genuinely appreciate any info that helps me understand how I can benefit especially from using a chassis.

FWIW, I have 5 conventionally stocked rifles. There are a pairof Savage 11VT's in Choate tactical stocks (223 and 308), with additional Choate LOP extensions. I have a 2001 Savage 10FP with an L-W 260 barrel and McMillan A3 Tactical stock, factory pillar bedded. The Mossberg MVP Predator 223 has its original laminated stock, and the Savage 10FCM Scout 7.62x39 also has the factory plastic stock. They all fit me and shoot fine.

Greg

5 round Accurate Mags and 10 round MDT poly mags have been rather perfect in .223 and .223AI for me.

They both need a bit of love for the 75+ grain bullets, but WELL worth the effort.

Push the follower down with a few spent cases and get out the Dremel.

1/2 a beer job at the most.
What work are you doing? Are you opening up the mag to allow longer Cartridges?

I don't watch the chassis process closely, but I'm still trying to figure out just how one can fill a gap in my life or my shooting style that isn't already covered by either my AR's or my conventional stock rifles.

I'm open to being wrong, and would genuinely appreciate any info that helps me understand how I can benefit especially from using a chassis.

FWIW, I have 5 conventionally stocked rifles. There are a pairof Savage 11VT's in Choate tactical stocks (223 and 308), with additional Choate LOP extensions. I have a 2001 Savage 10FP with an L-W 260 barrel and McMillan A3 Tactical stock, factory pillar bedded. The Mossberg MVP Predator 223 has its original laminated stock, and the Savage 10FCM Scout 7.62x39 also has the factory plastic stock. They all fit me and shoot fine.

Greg

I like the adjustability of my RPR. My BC Medalist has zero adjustability. Ive noticed I can comfortably spend more time behind my RPR and less time behind the Rem.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *

Greg

Compared to a classic stock, the main benefit is zero bedding and compatibility with AICS mags.

Why spend $150+ on bottom metal for a $600 stock? There are several chassis options that require no work, just drop in and go, for less money and no separate bottom metal.

I don't think I've seen a chassis that doesn't have an adjustable comb.

Every chassis has some sort of adjustment for length of pull. Expensive ones are generally tool-less, but even the cheapest come with spacers in the box.

I have both. Whatever I drop into my bravo that day generally goes to the range. The others don't leave the garage very often. (I will switch actions at the range even, seeing as how there is no bedding, just 2 screws and I can go from my b14R to my 6.5 or 243ai in 15 seconds. I just have scoped barreled actions laying around to switch in as needed.)

I have a Tikka in .223 with the Bravo chassis. Even added the Timney trigger (better than even YoDave spring) . Its not a Manners but suits my needs just fine for general prinking at the range.

I love my 223AI in MPA BA chassis with 80 VLD and ELDm. I use accurate mag with no major issues. Feeding is not as smooth as straight 223 though.

Compared to a classic stock, the main benefit is zero bedding and compatibility with AICS mags.

Why spend $150+ on bottom metal for a $600 stock? There are several chassis options that require no work, just drop in and go, for less money and no separate bottom metal.

I don't think I've seen a chassis that doesn't have an adjustable comb.

Every chassis has some sort of adjustment for length of pull. Expensive ones are generally tool-less, but even the cheapest come with spacers in the box.

I have both. Whatever I drop into my bravo that day generally goes to the range. The others don't leave the garage very often. (I will switch actions at the range even, seeing as how there is no bedding, just 2 screws and I can go from my b14R to my 6.5 or 243ai in 15 seconds. I just have scoped barreled actions laying around to switch in as needed.)

That's why I went with the Choate Savage Tactical Stock. It features a full length bedding block, and both the 223 and 308 pass the 'rock test' adequately. The price is also agreeable.

For adjustability; mine have upgrades. Choate Tactical LOP Spacers in mine have extended my LOP to 16.5". I've also added a Kydex Adjustable Cheek Riser on them as well.

For me, the ergonomics are quite important, and I like he esthetics of the classic stock profiles.

I agree that compatibility with AICS magazines is a great capability. My own shooting seldom requires more capacity than the standard Savage DM; but should I need a ten round capacity, I can get conversions on the factory magazine from Darkeagle. Dan's a great friend to SH from way back.

Greg

Last edited:
20200501_142018.jpg

Thanks all. Time to start putting money away for the rebarrel. And chassis. And Cerakote for the action. Figure while I'm at it just as well upgrade the scope. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: RFutch
Heres the 223AI Atlas Tactical with the X-Ray chassis. Really liking it so far, although some modification was needed to the X-Ray to fit the Kelbly's action in right. I'm still getting used to the chassis setup and playing around with LOP and the cheek piece.

IMG_5641 2.jpg
IMG_5642.jpg

Reactions: Brazo
.223 axiom in a bravo chassis with older whiskey 3 back pieced together. Runs good with mdt mags

Attachments

• B27FAC11-CDF3-44C7-B98F-2F98A0EF5D67.jpeg
    B27FAC11-CDF3-44C7-B98F-2F98A0EF5D67.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 67
I have a 24" t3x varmnit in .223 in a krg xray. Its my favorite firearm that I own...

Just do it man, you know you want to. If you are handloading there is no reason not to go AI as you gain a little performance boost and mega coolness factor over plain old .223rem.

Mine is .223AI shooting 75gn ELDm's at a little over 2.50" COAL. It feeds like hot butter through MDT poly mags.

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

Ya thats what I was thinking too so do you just increase max 223 rem loads by like 10 percent?

I remember shooting a fairly mild load to fireform, but still hot enough to get a good sharp shoulder. It's been so long that I can't remember what I settled on, but I think it was actually closer to 85% of .223rem max load for the first firing, but I wasn't aiming for a mega load on the first firing, just a good shoulder and an accurate node.

I'd be careful jumping straight to 110% charge weight though, depending on what data you use that could be too high to start at (I have found ADI/Hogdon to be guilty as sin of this on more than one cartridge I used their data for, but it can get very hot here). The worst that will happen with a slightly lower load is it won't form as sharply, but on the high end you could smoke a few pieces brass before you get it figured out. Just run a ladder up from 80% or so and if a couple pieces don't fully form then just use them for sighters the second time out. They'll fully form the second time around.

Reactions: Bigmeech556
Had a couple of chassis but could never really like them, back to stocks on everything now

I've run the KRG Bravo with 2x .223 rifles, R700 & Tikka

zero issues with the two I had

it is a mature chassis platform and I doubt you would have problems with the mags/feeding, I run MDT poly mags mostly, but with metal AICS had no issues.

That said, chassis & stock are a preference.

Blondes v Brunettes

You need to get behind and shoot different ones before you can really tell.

I've learned that as long as the LOP isn't too long and the grip works for my hand (anything but AI standard or stock AR), I can run both stock or chassis with no issues.

Basically blonde or brunette both works for me as long as she's not a narcissist.

Figure out what are your NO-GO issues and work your way down from there.

Issues like WEIGHT are going to be important if you're doing anything more than short matches and flat range stuff.

Have you tried the Ridgeback stock?

I run a bighorn tl3 in a krg bravo with zero regrets. I’ve had the bbl action rest in a few different chassis (mpa, whiskey 3 and bravo) as well as manners prs1t. In the end it ended back up in the bravo. Only have roughly 650 rounds through jt from last year but I’ve never had a single feeding or ejection issue. Once barrel goes I’ll probably swap to ai but we will see when time comes

I want a nice 223 bolt action trainer. Either a Tikka Tac or Tikka Varmint or semi-custom built on a Tikka action. I have a CTR in .308 but the bolt face won't work with a 223 build.

Nowadays I put everything in a KRG chassis. Cost effective and they work. I recently watched a video on the Ultimate Reloader channel where Toobe built a tack driver .223 bolt action and now I'm really itching for one. He recently started accepting names on a waiting list for rifle builds. I'm tempted. Either that or I'll order the components for an action and barrel, which will probably start with a Defiance Tenacity action and a Lilja barrel.

Here's the video of that build:

Last edited:
Reactions: gigamortis
I emailed him to ask if he would chamber my brux barrel in 223ai... he never wrote back lol
When was this? I think he just started this as is just putting people on the waiting list. It's all on his website.

Hey so I just ordered a new brux barrel 1:7.5 twist 26 inch barrel for my curtis action on an mpa ba comp chassis. I like using the 75 vld, 80vld, 75 eld, 80 eld, 80.5 fullbore and 85.5 LRHT, and the rdf 77 and 85. My question is what chamber should I do and how much freebore
You should check out my post 223 AI reamer for heavies.

Did you get your 85 gr load finished yet?

Sure did, but I’ve been shooting the 88s more lately because they’re easier to find and I have limited inventory of the 85s. Especially with a 22BRA to feed as well.

Both bullets have been excellent at distance with the .125 freebore. If I had it my way I’d shoot the 85.5s in every .22 I had, but the ELDs are a decent alternative if nothing else.

Sure did, but I’ve been shooting the 88s more lately because they’re easier to find and I have limited inventory of the 85s. Especially with a 22BRA to feed as well.

Both bullets have been excellent at distance with the .125 freebore. If I had it my way I’d shoot the 85.5s in every .22 I had, but the ELDs are a decent alternative if nothing else.
So what did your 85 velocity end up being and what powder?

So what did your 85 velocity end up being and what powder?

88s @ 2760fps using 4895.
85s @ 2800fps using 4895.

Both loads are reasonably comfortable. No pressure signs and brass life seems to be doing fine. They could both probably stand to go higher though I have no such interest in trying.

Varget also worked, just a little slower.