• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 convert to 300 blackout

gizer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2023
Thornton, co
Let me start off by saying hi to all. I have been reloading 9mm for several years and cast my own bullets. I started when I could not find 9mm ammo and was shooting in USPSA matches and needed ammo, since then i developed my own load. With no experience with anything but 9mm i have a few questions about rifle reloading.

I just acquired many 223 cases and was wondering the feasibility of converting to 300 blackout.
i have watched several videos and it looks straight forward to do the converting, but my main question is would anyone who reloads 300 want to reload cases someone else altered from 223?

so you buy 223 converted brass to reload. do you buy from individuals or business that converts?

i asking because i have probably 22,000, 223 that i "won" in an auction ( 9mm i wanted and lots of 223 i wanted to sell to hel pay for my shooting ) and they are not selling, so I'm looking for alternatives to move them (without just scrapping ).

Reactions: waspocrew
Just depends on the price, right now blackout is about as cheap as I’ve see it since pre pandemic, so the market at the moment for converted blackout brass isn’t much, but if we have another shortage it becomes fairly desirable, so it’s just about timing. Concerning the process it’s easy and you can do decent amounts fairly quickly.

With a jig and a harbor freight mini chop saw you can cut hundreds in an hour. Take time to set up cut precise length so there is no additional trimming to length after cut. Also need to chamfer and debur. From there just run through a blackout sizing die. With some practice you can get it down to a science pretty quick

Reactions: MarinePMI
ok finally found pricing

once fired (with primers still in) with a mix of converted (up to 40%) $134/1000
converted primers removed $300/1000
new $350/1000

A Dillon RT1500 makes quick work of it on a progressive, unless you are only shooting a small amount I wouldn't bother pay extra for brass that has been converted. Just find some good milsurp once fired brass at the best price you can and get to converting!

A Dillon RT1500 makes quick work of it on a progressive, unless you are only shooting a small amount I wouldn't bother pay extra for brass that has been converted. Just find some good milsurp once fired brass at the best price you can and get to converting!
This ^^^^

Add an Autodrive, and the world is your oyster. Just load the hopper with lubed cases, and have 300BO caes come out the other end (1000-1500 cases an hour).

so you buy 223 converted brass to reload. do you buy from individuals or business that converts?

i asking because i have probably 22,000, 223 that i "won" in an auction ( 9mm i wanted and lots of 223 i wanted to sell to hel pay for my shooting ) and they are not selling, so I'm looking for alternatives to move them (without just scrapping ).
Are you just looking to convert the brass and then sell it? I’d that’s the plan, I’d skip the work altogether and just sell the .223 brass as it is.

OK it's been a while but one of my brass partners and I have set up and converted .223 to 300BO. I'm looking for someone(s) who is willing to receive some and give me their opinion. I will cover shipping and you can keep the brass.

OK it's been a while but one of my brass partners and I have set up and converted .223 to 300BO. I'm looking for someone(s) who is willing to receive some and give me their opinion. I will cover shipping and you can keep the brass.
PM sent