• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Federal brass question

cj1026

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2008
Repulik of Commieforniastan
So hopefully you guys can help me out here.

1st off the rifle: Ar-15, 5.56 chamber, free floated 16" 1-7 barrel.

2nd I have been working on a load for smk 69gr hpbt. I ended up with a load that was shooting 1/2" at 100 yards (5 shot groups). I am getting an average of 2749 fps.
Federal brass
cci 400
RL 15 25.3 grains
seated to just under mag length

Preping the brass I used a chamfer tool to get rid of the chrimp in the primer pocket. So i ended up with a little angle between the back of the brass and the primer pocket.
After I inspected the fired brass I noticed that the primers were starting to flatten out. Do you think this could be caused by the way I remover the primer pockets or is it strictly from over pressure?
I just got in 1500 new winchester pieces of brass. Would this make any differance?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Re: .223 Federal brass question

You should use a primer crimp removal tool (a cutter) or better yet an RCBS crimp remover die set.
If your loads are under max for mil-spec brass (generally a little thicker because it's used in full auto guns), I would not worry.
Reading primers is far from exact as some flatten more than others. If the primer pockets are loose when you reprime or some start popping out when you fire, then your load is too hot.

Weigh the WRA brass and compare to Federal. WRA is usually harder and thinner than other brands. Try it with your load and see what happens.

I am getting slightly higher velocity in my DPMS Sweet 16 with the same bullet and Ball C 2, so it's hard to believe your load is too hot.

The Alliant (on line) Guide says 25.5 RL 15 as suggested with this bullet giving 2965 in a no doubt 22 or 24" bbl.
Good shooting.

I would drop the powder charge or go to Rem 7 1/2 or CCI BR-4 primers.

FWIW, I don't know about the brass Federal is making at Lake City, but their commercially made .223 brass has a reputation for being soft and therefore the primer pockets open up after just one or two loadings.

Is this stuff marked with a military type headstamp?

If you used a chamfer tool you basically cut a 'V' in the primer pocket. Doing so remover the metal and support from the 'top' of the primer. If the metal is gone the primers are going to flow. Buy a proper tool to remove the bur.

A picture of what you are describing would help also.

Good luck

Jerry

Use the right tool for the job and I doubt you'll have the "problem" (if it even is one)