• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 federal brass

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    So I'm extremely new to reloading. Just bought everything I'll need to start out loading .223 I was looking into buying brass, but before the pandemic I bought 2,000 rounds of federal 62 grain fmjs. Fired about 1000 rounds of it. I was inspecting the brass that I fired, and noticed that not one case was 1.750 or longer. Measured about 100 and they are all in the 1.73s. about 50 we're exactly 1.738. is this common with federal brass? Would you fellas reload them? And will consistency be effected at all? Thanks

Reactions: Snuby642
    Good now you dont have to trim them for a few loadings. If you are shooting them in a gas gun like me most of the time you are not going to notice a difference . Try it yourself trim a bunch to same length and compare groups with a bunch that you didn't trim. Just dont let them get to long thats when you get problems.

You are probably going to have to get the crimp out of the primer pocket.and also you have to measure the length after you size them.

Run them as is with a debur if necisary.
    Run them till they pass trim lenght then trim.

I run 2-300 lots of head stamp sorted range brass and they always vary.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    They are going to be shot in a gas gun. Thanks for the info! Wasent even thinking about the primer pocket until you mentioned it. I was too hung up on the case length. Haha

I'm curious to see if they will even last that long to have to be trimmed. From what I read federal brass isn't optimal, but I'm cheap, and if it's free, then it's for me.

On range brass fancy brands don't cause a stir from me.

One of the cheap brands gfl brass (Ficochi) that piles up every place because 5% has off center flash holes has made some of my best rounds and it is plentiful.

Keep any you can get these days and sort them by brand. Take whatever brand you have the most of and develope a load like it had an important place to go.

Learn to make nice brass with the expendable stuff.

A primer pocket guage is a must, and for cutting group sizes cheaply a mandrell die and -.002 mandrell will suck in the groups on any brand brass even range plinkers.

I haven't had any problems with the 223 brass yet but all the others the primer pockets would not last but 2 to 4 reloadings .

Two things I know can waste primer pockets faster than normal.

Too much bump on the brass.
    Hot loads.

I think I wasted a batch of my last test rounds, hard bolt lift and my genius son kept testing groups.
    (One shot 0.212) and was 0.6gr under max.

Never exceeded book, you don't have to to have a problem.

Think I will just toss those.

Several years ago a buddy gave me a 2/3-full 5gal bucket of once fired 223 FC brass that was the same deal: 1.73s" and no primer crimp. This was back in my iron-sighted AR days so it was for blasting ammo. Cleaned it and loaded. Done. Made that mountain of brass seem not so bad.

1.730-1.753 or so is normal, and no issue, whatsoever. Different manufacturers have their own theory why shorter is better than longer, and so its purpose made. Shorter brass, like Federal, can be shot and sized pretty much until it fails, and it will not need trimming. This is advantage to reloader.

Longer brass, may stretch and go over specification, thus needing trimming.

Also, in terms of manufacturing tolerances, this is wider than people understand. No manufacturer can make anything without variation. Variation in extremes can be wild. So it makes sense to set your length shorter, to make sure the "extreme" long pieces are still under specification, while the manufacturers that produce longer brass, may have some OVER specification. This is common in manufacturing across the globe. (this method) As you want to setup your machines to make something where the extremes are within specifications. So if you make something toward 1 end of specification, many will fall out, and will not pass, costing manufacturers TIME and MONEY to sort out.

Its far cheaper for manufacturer to make something where extremes are within Spec. Federal is being smart.

AR15's don't give a damn about brass length within spec. People often mistake what works in bolt guns apply to AR15's. This is not the case. AR15's are worlds more forgiving, looser tolerances, and not as precise/accurate.

"This is not the case. AR15's are worlds more forgiving, looser tolerances, and not as precise/accurate."

Suppriseing the results you can get from an ar with purpose built ammo.

There is no reason to slop togeather components and call it gtg. 223 / ar platform is a good place to hone your reloading skills.

Cause and effect can be tested on the cheap.

"This is not the case. AR15's are worlds more forgiving, looser tolerances, and not as precise/accurate."

There is no reason to slop togeather components and call it gtg. 223 / ar platform is a good place to hone your reloading skills.

Both of you make very good points. But that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Hone the reloading skills. I just built a bolt gun in 6mm creedmoor. I'm not touching those to reload until I'm completely comfortable with the .223 my goal is accuracy. I had a stag varminter that would shoot close to 1/2 groups with rem 55gr soft points fairly consistently. And would shoot Barnes 69 gr otm like shit. I just pieced together an AR with a CLE criterion barrel so I want to see it's accuracy potential, without having to take out a second mortgage.

1.730-1.753 or so is normal, and no issue, whatsoever. Different manufacturers have their own theory why shorter is better than longer, and so its purpose made. Shorter brass, like Federal, can be shot and sized pretty much until it fails, and it will not need trimming. This is advantage to reloader.

Longer brass, may stretch and go over specification, thus needing trimming.

Also, in terms of manufacturing tolerances, this is wider than people understand. No manufacturer can make anything without variation. Variation in extremes can be wild. So it makes sense to set your length shorter, to make sure the "extreme" long pieces are still under specification, while the manufacturers that produce longer brass, may have some OVER specification. This is common in manufacturing across the globe. (this method) As you want to setup your machines to make something where the extremes are within specifications. So if you make something toward 1 end of specification, many will fall out, and will not pass, costing manufacturers TIME and MONEY to sort out.

Its far cheaper for manufacturer to make something where extremes are within Spec. Federal is being smart.

AR15's don't give a damn about brass length within spec. People often mistake what works in bolt guns apply to AR15's. This is not the case. AR15's are worlds more forgiving, looser tolerances, and not as precise/accurate.
    Never thought about the shorter case lengths in those terms. I've been reading on here, with people saying what you say "as long as it's within spec" but I guess I just want to hear it for myself.

I agree with that. Check out my website if you dont believe me. www.natoreloading.com

that is all I try to do, is find combinations that are consistently good in AR15's so it can turn from a 2 MOA weapon, to a sub 1 MOA weapon, with regularity.

If you have mass quantities of one headstamp you could sort them by lenght.
    Set your own tolerance for that and develope load with the largest batch.

Then if you want test the lengths with that load and see if holds groups.

I wonder if that is what gives me some of my unexplained fliers?

The mandrell cut that by a lot.