• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 for "big" game

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
yes i have done & seen Xs about 5 "ALL" the available on line research on this topic. i'm just asking for any new info or experiences with regard to it that someone may have seen,heard or done. by big game i pretty much mean southern whitetail and hogs. would include sheep,goats,small caribou,antelope just for experiences which stuff i'll never hunt anyway. and,i mean using pretty high quality factory "hunting" ammo TSX or some such.

If you have shoulder issues or a medical issue that would require you to shoot a very light-recoiling round... I'd recommend a .22-250 Rem or a .22 Creedmoor with some 70-80gr handloads. That would be good from 0-250 yards or so, on deer and hogs.

Another low-recoiling option would be the 6.5CM or .260 Remington with 140gr bullets. And they both have plenty of power to take deer and hogs out to 500 yards.

Also, a high-quality suppressor with a muzzle brake inside of it, will help mitigate recoil tremendously, and save your hearing. Just something worth thinking about.

Reactions: Tillerup!
my family of six doesn't eat store bought meat 🥩 . it's been about 7-11 critters a fall here in the states.

high plains mule deer, antelope, whitetail.

77gr tmk is your huckleberry for killing if you are limited to 2.25" magazine

the only reason i have strayed is because wyoming and south dakota require 6mm minimum for elk.. yes 6br with a 108 hammers deer, elk and antelope.. and yes it's nearly identical wound channels

ignore all the noise you hear about not enough oomph or knockdown power

if only because i've killed shit across alaska, africa and new zealand with a 300 win mag.

i stole this pic from off the internet. lol
7ED3DF3C-1DE2-4816-B25C-CA5420A80DDB.jpeg

yes i have done & seen Xs about 5 "ALL" the available on line research on this topic. i'm just asking for any new info or experiences with regard to it that someone may have seen,heard or done. by big game i pretty much mean southern whitetail and hogs. would include sheep,goats,small caribou,antelope just for experiences which stuff i'll never hunt anyway. and,i mean using pretty high quality factory "hunting" ammo TSX or some such.
The Winchester 64 grain power point and the Barnes TSX bullets all work well on KY deer, which are pretty big bodied. The people I know that use them have had no complaints.

Treat the shot placement like you would a bow, broadside, right into the boiler room. They die pretty well

Some 223 bullets at high impact speeds grenade on impact. I’ve seen 77smk do it, turns the vitals to jelly but there is no pass through

I prefer a pass through so my choice is for a ar15 is 62gn tsx

Last edited:
not worried about recoil at all. trying to get down to 1 round or 2 at most. it would be 308 and ? have 308 and $ may take me out of it jobama keeps this shit up. already have a bunch of 5.56 in ARs. so 223/5.56 would be a "1" round thing and would be a bolt gun if i planned to hunt with it and paper out to my skill level say 400 max, would hold any game shot to a ranged 200.

not worried about recoil at all. trying to get down to 1 round or 2 at most. it would be 308 and ? have 308 and $ may take me out of it jobama keeps this shit up. already have a bunch of 5.56 in ARs. so 223/5.56 would be a "1" round thing and would be a bolt gun if i planned to hunt with it and paper out to my skill level say 400 max, would hold any game shot to a ranged 200.
The .308 Win is a phenomenal round. I'd stick with it for hunting. And stick with the 5.56 for self-defense, varmints (hogs, coyotes, etc...), and plinking. Another good one to have around is a good .22LR bolt-action with tons of ammo for it. A suppressed .22LR bolt-action with subsonic ammo can be a VERY handy thing to have in your safe.

Invest in a couple good suppressors before Obiden tried to take those away, too.

7FD9F0BC-66DC-4266-A3FE-5E564FB75DED.jpeg
17031338-E51B-458D-BB2E-50960B8527DC.jpeg
9CABF1B4-C22B-424C-9880-AA6D118DB7BB.jpeg

Almost every year, I shoot a bull elk with a 5.56 SBR. It varies from 10.5” to 14.5”.

I’ve used several different rounds with great success. My preference is 77TMK, but 50 and 60 grain v-max have been outstanding as well.

I’ve shot, or personally watched over 100 elk and deer, taken with 5.56 at ranges between 40 yards and 562 yards.

Only two required a second shot (not sure it was actually necessary). It flat works and there is ZERO arguing that it doesn’t…

BUT…

You absolutely must strike the vitals, and not everyone has the skill to do it or the discipline to not shoot if the opportunity isn’t right.

Because of this, it’s not for everyone, but I’d argue against taking lesser shots because of a bigger caliber.

For a couple years I shot crop damage with a 223. Sierra gameking worked decent. As stated above vitals are very important. I did mainly head shots. Obviously not my first choice for hunting. My 308 is my go to

I also dropped a 225 lbs black bear with it. Head shot. From a blind over bait

That was a savage 12fvss with a 26” barrel

Last edited:
Last time I hog hunted texes I put down 27 hogs ranging from 80lbs to 240lbs with a run of the mil off the shelf AR. Tapped em in the side of the head and there nose hit the dirt. Idk if I would shoot one square in the forehead but bout and inch below the ear gave em a dort nap.

There is an awesome thread on rokslide about a guy that uses a 223 for all his hunting. I believe he even shot a moose.

I will see if I can find it.

Reactions: shootingnut
Here it is.

Reactions: shootingnut
In the villages of Alaska, use of the 5.56 and surplus FMJ ammo is VERY common for every critter imaginable. Seal, walrus, moose, caribou, bear, wolf...

The best 223 bullet for penetration I have ever seen was the nosler 64 gr trophy bonded bear claw out of the FBI duty load. It is barrier blind and just keeps going.

It looks like a little hard cast 45-70 the way it penetrates everything and never turns right or left.

I would shoot elk with it no problem.

Shot a pig with one in the Philippines while walking point in the magazines......

w1hzaKIl.jpg

It was a little guy, but when he hopped on a log and started going shit house, I asked "Can I shoot it" and the corporal said "Shoot".

I hit it in the left shoulder and it made a small pencil sized hole in that big flat shoulder blade.

Than it traveled through to strike the other shoulder blade and smashed it into hundreds of pieces.

The pig was immobile but still alive and we thought we were going to jail for firing a round in the mags.

Our Gunny came and put it down with a contact shot to the forehead.

.223 fucks some shit up.

thanks for recent experiences. makes my tendency to leave 308 and use 223 for what little hunting i do. i do know what a good shot is and how to turn down a bad one. shot enough and seen enough to know that placement is king. on paper 223 will be finetx agin all.

Last edited:
A 300 HAMR or a 6mm ARC for longer range fills this role nicely. Light recoil, and either kills any deer or elk walking if you do your part.

300 HAMR with hand loaded 125 TNTs, or the ARC with Hornady 105 BTHP.

Done and done.

We have killed quite a few hogs with 223. Never shot deer or other big game but hogs are pretty tough. We usually shot 55 vmax in the head or neck and it was lights out.

Chest shots with the vmax didn’t work unless it was small pigs. With the Barnes bullets I’m confident chest shots would be fine.

I personally have other options I would use instead but would be fine hunting with a 223 if I had too

Reactions: deersniper
tx. i know there are better hunting rounds. IMHO 30/06 AI is a top deal. i have hunted with 7mm RM,338 WM,270,7x57AI,308,30/06. just an idea as part of my slim down process. lately inflation has not been good for fixed retire income and i do drive a lot,to shoot,family,the usual stuff. so,YES i am now officially claiming poor status on here.

First check what is allowed where you hunt. In Virginia unless you are hunting small game the caliber must be over 22. That eliminates .223, 22-250, etc.

If allowed a 70gr speed semi-spitzer with a hot load of 3031 dies very good on Tn whitetail.

Reactions: 308pirate
I've heard good thing about the Sierra 65gr game kings in the .223, #1395. If you can find them!

Mike

I started using a .223 with 70g TSX handloads out of a Desert tech MDRX for White tails. Ran it suppressed and waited for broadsides. It’s been so much fun and that thing leaves a blood trail that’s incredibly easy to walk. Haven’t had one go further than 70 yards or so. I’ll still pull out a 7 WSM for some hunts but I’m trending towards that shorty setup especially when I’m meat hunting.

Reactions: Evolution 9
Myself and friends have probably killed over 50 deer with 223's. It's not for everyone but if you can shoot accurately it kills very well. Barnes bullets are the bullet of choice. I've only seen a couple that needed the 2nd shot. And that TSX will go thru a shoulder blade, but I like base of the neck shot the best. DRT. I also shot a bunch of hogs in a few days in SC a few years ago. They don't kill easy with 223's, but they do die. There will always be the debate on whether the 22's are enough gun and it all boils down to the shooter and the shots you will be given and are willing to take.

First check what is allowed where you hunt. In Virginia unless you are hunting small game the caliber must be over 22. That eliminates .223, 22-250, etc.

If allowed a 70gr speed semi-spitzer with a hot load of 3031 dies very good on Tn whitetail.

Same as Kansas

Reactions: 260284
it was designed for 200ish lb bipeds 🤷‍♂️

Depends on “big” A buffalo I wouldn’t, deer and hogs sure

I liked the fort Scott spun brass 5.56 for this

Treat the shot placement like you would a bow, broadside, right into the boiler room. They die pretty well

Some 223 bullets at high impact speeds grenade on impact. I’ve seen 77smk do it, turns the vitals to jelly but there is no pass through

I prefer a pass through so my choice is for a ar15 is 62gn tsx
View attachment 7874390View attachment 7874389View attachment 7874386

Almost every year, I shoot a bull elk with a 5.56 SBR. It varies from 10.5” to 14.5”.

I’ve used several different rounds with great success. My preference is 77TMK, but 50 and 60 grain v-max have been outstanding as well.

I’ve shot, or personally watched over 100 elk and deer, taken with 5.56 at ranges between 40 yards and 562 yards.

Only two required a second shot (not sure it was actually necessary). It flat works and there is ZERO arguing that it doesn’t…

BUT…

You absolutely must strike the vitals, and not everyone has the skill to do it or the discipline to not shoot if the opportunity isn’t right.

Because of this, it’s not for everyone, but I’d argue against taking lesser shots because of a bigger caliber.
These guys nailed it. 223 will kill just about another in North America you point it at but shot placement is 100% key. I’ve killed pigs with one shot, and I’ve killed pigs with 5. Shot placement matters. Pig running across a field you can’t get a good shot on can soak some lead up. But, any animal if you put one through the pump station or the lungs it’s gonna die.

I have zero problem using my 223 AR for anything in Texas, but you need to be good with your rifle and be able to make vital hits every time.

These guys nailed it. 223 will kill just about another in North America you point it at but shot placement is 100% key. I’ve killed pigs with one shot, and I’ve killed pigs with 5. Shot placement matters. Pig running across a field you can’t get a good shot on can soak some lead up. But, any animal if you put one through the pump station or the lungs it’s gonna die.

I have zero problem using my 223 AR for anything in Texas, but you need to be good with your rifle and be able to make vital hits every time.
I second this. This really is a “it depends” answer. First shot on the first hog you can pretty much shoot them with anything pending how close you are….being deer are much easier to kill (at least in my experience) maybe not so much a risk with the ammo mentioned, especially Barnes TSX…..but with sounders of piggies once the running starts one has to be able to fire a caliber that will compensate for the bad hits and at least anchor or slow them down enough for a follow up.
I hunted for years with a 6.8 spc but once lightweight/shorter barrel .308s became a thing I stepped away from the 6.8….too many slinked off, even with multiple hits…..or were “dead” and zombied back to life….occurs much less often with a .308.

Myself and friends have probably killed over 50 deer with 223's. It's not for everyone but if you can shoot accurately it kills very well. Barnes bullets are the bullet of choice. I've only seen a couple that needed the 2nd shot. And that TSX will go thru a shoulder blade, but I like base of the neck shot the best. DRT. I also shot a bunch of hogs in a few days in SC a few years ago. They don't kill easy with 223's, but they do die. There will always be the debate on whether the 22's are enough gun and it all boils down to the shooter and the shots you will be given and are willing to take.
Base of the neck/front point of the shoulder is where I shoot everything and have since I started hunting as a kid. I’ve shot many deer that didn’t take a step with my little 30 carbine when I was growing up.

Over 100 pigs with 5.56 70gr Barnes TSX. More need a finishing shot than with 308, 6.5, and 300blk, but it has worked very well for me. Shots from 25 - 300 with an 11.5 AR pistol.
🤘🏻Have you tried the 62 grain TSX on the pigs? I just got a hold of some and have been debating giving them a whirl on the 9.5” sbr when I can creep in close.

Over 100 pigs with 5.56 70gr Barnes TSX. More need a finishing shot than with 308, 6.5, and 300blk, but it has worked very well for me. Shots from 25 - 300 with an 11.5 AR pistol.
What sort of mv are you getting with a 11.5” with 70gn?

My boy took a nice doe at 270 yards with my Mk12 shooting Mk262 Mod1.
She dropped dead in her tracks. I've taken several hogs with different AR15's over the years.

Deer aren't that hard to kill.

Reactions: deersniper
Knowledge, your limitations of yourself and the conditions and opportunities affecting your shot is some of the concerns before taking a shot with a 223 on big game animal. 50 plus years of hunting with rifles, handguns and bows will certainly show you limitations in each category, however saying that, I harvested my last 5 big game (all wild hogs) with a 22 rimfire rifle, a single shot to the head. They all dropped on the spot, with one of them needing a follow-up shot.

I waited for the ideal conditions, knowing my abilities and knowledge and of the limitations of my choice of gun and ammo.

Does that mean everyone should switch to 22 rimfire ammo to hunt hogs? NO!

By the way, based on my experience and abilities a .223 cal rifle in my hands will put down pretty much anything that walks this earth. This is not bragging, it is years in the woods and plains studying my animals and learning the terrain. Also practicing your skills so you know your limitations. Always stay inside your limitations and your rewards will grow in each stalk.

I highly recommend that you proceed with caution while you develop YOUR skills to determine which weapon you arm yourself with to abdicate your quarry.

A .223 in the lungs will do the job , but it's still not a deer rifle . I've taken a few deer with mine , it barely gets it done the right way . It's less lethal than my bow by far . Not impressed

Reactions: FuhQ
Of course you can with proper shot placement. Though for dangerous big game many jurisdictions / guides have minimum cartridge size required. I have hunted Australian gots to buffalo NZ Deer Chamios Thar with Big Horn sheep in Asia Middle East and Africa. With a 270win.

A .223 in the lungs will do the job , but it's still not a deer rifle . I've taken a few deer with mine , it barely gets it done the right way . It's less lethal than my bow by far . Not impressed

100% disagree. I would guess you were using some type of cheap and or fmj type ammo.

I have had very lethal results with my 223 on deer.

Reactions: HaydenLane
Agreed. It’ll do the job, but I’ll reach for something that’s bigger/better any day off the week, if I have the option. I’d MUCH prefer a 6.5 Grendel over a .223 for medium game like deer.

I actually prefer the 223. With the right bullet the penetration is sufficient for elk.

I saw a deer my friend shot with a 6.5 Creed with a Sierra Gameking at 100m right in the boiler room. It went through a rib and into the body cavity. There was no exit wound whatsoever, and not even a mark on the whole inside of the deer's chest cavity. The deer was about 100 to 120 lbs.

It's about using a good bullet and putting it where you want.

223 is easier to shoot, cheaper to practice with, useful for both two and four legged critters, accurate, and available in the most ergonomic and reliable rifle ever made.

Reactions: Evolution 9