• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Functioning in an ARC Nucleus................

sgtsmmiii

Lieutenant
Minuteman
  • Sep 2, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I want to take advantage of ARC's Independence from Tyranny 4th of July offer and build a .223. I was just wondering how the .223 feeds and functions in the Mausingfield or Nucleus actions. Any one that has done it - any things that would be nice to know before I pull the trigger? Thanks for any help or guidance.

Reactions: Nouseforaname01
    I run a nuke gen 1.0 223 build. Had some issues with 55 grain V-max, but no issues with 73gr ELD-M or 68 gr HPBTs out of a polymer MDT mag.

I run a nuke gen 1.0 as my backup match gun (6creed/.223). At this point it's seen about 12k Hornady 75gr BTHPs in MDT mags and zero issues.

I have a Nucleus 2.0 set up as a 223 trainer. Have no problems at all with the setup and a handful of MDT mags.

I have no experience with the Mausingfield. In one of Ted's videos, he said because of the size of the Mausingfield bolt head, use with the 223 bolt was iffy but he offered it because people wanted it.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    I am using a Nucleus 2.0 chambered in 223 Remington, with a Manners TCS stock. The only thing I had to do was file down the feed lips of the MDT mags to get the bolt to glide over the mag.

Attachments

• 466C8612-767F-4591-B7AE-7CC766F27374.jpeg
      466C8612-767F-4591-B7AE-7CC766F27374.jpeg
      592 KB · Views: 68
    • 6B66F306-2D6B-43C6-88AE-D2885908EA96.jpeg
      6B66F306-2D6B-43C6-88AE-D2885908EA96.jpeg
      554.5 KB · Views: 70
    I have no experience with the Mausingfield. In one of Ted's videos, he said because of the size of the Mausingfield bolt head, use with the 223 bolt was iffy but he offered it because people wanted it.
    That was in regard to controlled round feeding (CRF). CRF actions enable the shooter to extract a cartridge from the chamber immediately after the cartridge is released from the magazine and without the need to rotate the bolt closed. It can be useful for clearing a jam resulting from the shooter accidentally double feeding the rifle. CRF is most reliable when the the difference between the case head diameter and the bolt diameter is minimized. For example, 0.70" diameter bolt will more reliably extract a cartridge having a .588" head diameter (338 Lapua) than one having a .378" head diameter (.223 Rem).

CRF is not an essential function for a bolt action. Push feed actions like the Remington 700 and the Tikka T3 don't have it. But CRF is nice to have especially because if done right, it doesn't compromise any other function. Moreover, the extractors used in the Nucleus and the Archimedes and the Mauser extractor used in the Mausingfield engage more of the case head rim than do any push-feed extractors that I am aware of. This is necessary for increasing CRF reliability but also good for imparting higher extraction loads to the case head rim than would otherwise be possible using the smaller extractors used on push-feed actions. In the past, I've cited the example of a Sako TRG-42 failing to extract a case because the small extractor it uses concentrated the extraction force over a small area of the case head rim. The high force simple broke off part of the rim and left the case in the chamber. A cleaning rod was used to extract the case.

And again, we can highlight the extraction capability of the Archimedes. Because of the mechanical advantage provided by its pivoting handle, your ability to extract a case is limited only by the strength of the case head. When comparing this to, not just the TRG-42 described above, but to all other conventional bolt action as well, you will find that a mallet is required to impart the extraction forces that approach those that can be imparted by the Archimedes using only your hand.

Ted

I ran a nucleus 1.0 in 223ai with everything from 40 grain to 80 grain bullets with zero issues. I used both MDT and accurate mags, preferring the accurate mags. The nucleus 2.0 will open and close smoother than the 1.0 because of the changes in the lug ramp geometry and cocking ramps.

Now running the same 223ai barrel on an Archimedes, which is stupid smooth and one of my favorite actions in terms of feel... Not to mention the extraction advantages that Ted spoke of if you ever need it.

Might order 2 more of them this weekend during the sale for 2 future builds I have in mind.

Last edited:
    Thanks, everyone. I appreciate everyone taking their time to post their experiences and insights. Helps a bunch.