.223 gas gun in Precision competitions

paulo_santos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2006
NJ
www.spdcrossfit.com
I have sent these questions to the PRS guy in my area (East Coast), but I have never received a reply, so I was hoping to get some help from you guys here.

I want to start getting into PRS style competitions and I noticed PRS has the Gas Gun division. I have an 18” SPR type build with a 1-10 scope that I’ve been practicing with. I have an Atlas bipod with the ADM QD mount, I also j have an Armageddon pint sized sticky bag and a rear bag.

I train using the Hornady 55 Gr FMJ which consistently/surprisingly shoots 1 MOA (5 round shot groups) out of the 18” Criterion barrel. But my load that I would use for long range is the Hornady 75 Gr BTHP, which shoots 3/4 MOA.

So I’m wondering if the .223 is any good for these competitions and would I be able to use my AR-15 in the most PRS competitions?

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper

anotherwannabe

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2018
if you’re the only guy shooting gas gun (likely), you’ll win!

if anyone shooting a 6mm gas gun shows up (not likely), you’ll get crushed.

i can’t recommend a 75gr 223 for match use in general, let alone in a gas gun. if you want to shoot and have fun, go for it. but don’t expect to be competitive.

camocorvette

Send it
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Apr 1, 2010
    Minnesota
    You'll likely be outclassed by 6mm and 6.5's. You could be competitive to 500-600 with little wind. After that you are gonna need to be on point with your wind call.

I say go for it. It will be a fun learning experience. I compete at local matches purely for the joy of shooting and learning about myself and my gear. Each match I've always had fun, and I always learn something about my gear or what my skill set is lacking.

Cjwise5

Owner PRN
    Minuteman
    May 23, 2014
    Missouri
    www.youtube.com
    what the others have already said is valid. I’ll add that RO’s will have a lot of trouble spotting your impacts on targets with that .223 unfortunately. That will likely cost you more points than the caliber will. .223 simply doesn’t haven’t enough energy at the longer ranges to significantly move the target.

camocorvette

Send it
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Apr 1, 2010
    Minnesota
    Might get lucky, they might have target flashers. If some one is on good glass and paying attention that would help. Spotting misses can be a MF some times.

Still vote go for it.

Reactions: paulo_santos

Crabcore

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Aug 2, 2019
    Milwaukee, WI
    If it is what you have, go for it. There are better cartridges out there for sure, but you still need to learn to read wind, operate a ballistic calculator, build positions. All of this can be done with a regular 223. I have shot an AR in 223 with 73 ELDM. It was fine. Made hits to 850 yards (the target had a flasher. The plate will not move at that distance lol). Better to go with what you have, learn what you need, and then make an informed decision about what gear you may need/want in the future.

Reactions: camocorvette

paulo_santos

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jan 4, 2006
    NJ
    www.spdcrossfit.com
    I just want to do it for fun to start out with at local matches. Then if I enjoy it and get good enough, I would consider getting something else. If component’s become more readily available soon, I’d consider checking out the 6mm ARC. I’m not sure I want to mess around with some of these new cartridges until they became more mainstream because I made the mistake years ago with dumping a ton of time and money into the 6.8 SPC.

paulo_santos

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jan 4, 2006
    NJ
    www.spdcrossfit.com

i can’t recommend a 75gr 223 for match use in general, let alone in a gas gun. if you want to shoot and have fun, go for it. but don’t expect to be competitive.
    I’m using the Hornady 75 Gr BTHP because the Sierra 77 Gr SMK shoot about the same out of my barrel, but the Hornady’s are half the price. I think the Sierra 77 Gr TMK are the best available bullets in .223, so I’ll give them a try and see if they shoot better.

paulo_santos

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jan 4, 2006
    NJ
    www.spdcrossfit.com
    what the others have already said is valid. I’ll add that RO’s will have a lot of trouble spotting your impacts on targets with that .223 unfortunately. That will likely cost you more points than the caliber will. .223 simply doesn’t haven’t enough energy at the longer ranges to significantly move the target.
    I heard that before. That is the one thing that really sucks unless the range has those electronic shot markers.

Reactions: Cjwise5

paulo_santos

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jan 4, 2006
    NJ
    www.spdcrossfit.com
    If it is what you have, go for it. There are better cartridges out there for sure, but you still need to learn to read wind, operate a ballistic calculator, build positions. All of this can be done with a regular 223. I have shot an AR in 223 with 73 ELDM. It was fine. Made hits to 850 yards (the target had a flasher. The plate will not move at that distance lol). Better to go with what you have, learn what you need, and then make an informed decision about what gear you may need/want in the future.
    Reading the wind is where I am lacking. I’d like to find a good class to take to help me out with that. In the meantime, I just have to keep practicing.

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Apr 18, 2010
    USA
    If you’re in NJ, the Mason Dixon Series is fairly close to you. A number of NJ shooters come down for it. A good number of gas gun shooters this year too and it may be a good opportunity to learn to drive one. .223 is perfectly competitive at the distances in that series.

paulo_santos

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jan 4, 2006
    NJ
    www.spdcrossfit.com
    If you’re in NJ, the Mason Dixon Series is fairly close to you. A number of NJ shooters come down for it. A good number of gas gun shooters this year too and it may be a good opportunity to learn to drive one. .223 is perfectly competitive at the distances in that series.
    Thank you so much for the info. I checked their site and I’ll be checking some dates. I also know a guy that competes out in PA so I may contact him and see if he goes there.

jetracer013

Private
    Minuteman
    May 13, 2014
    Philadelphia PA

Our targets are made for 223 (they swing like crazy.). 1-10 scope puts you in recce division, everyone else will have the same scope limit. Use the 75's, they work great.

You just missed the pro-am but you should definitely register for the next one. (on practiscore) Tons of fun and well run matches and, we have the best moving target on the east coast.

KnowNothing256

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jan 9, 2020
    I’ll chime in with another vote for “go for it.” You’ll have fun, the Hornady HPBT line is a great budget bullet for this game (larger targets, every hit counts the same, high volume, moderate ranges), and so what if others have tools better suited for the game.

As for wind, try the wind rose tool on here, for your gun’s MPH. If you can go into a shoot with a wind estimate and a hold for it, then spot your impacts, you can compare notes between your plan and the reality. Just sending shots downrange and seeing misses isn’t very useful if you don’t have a frame of reference, this is a gap of mine I need to address too. Good luck!

paulo_santos

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jan 4, 2006
    NJ
    www.spdcrossfit.com

Our targets are made for 223 (they swing like crazy.). 1-10 scope puts you in recce division, everyone else will have the same scope limit. Use the 75's, they work great.

You just missed the pro-am but you should definitely register for the next one. (on practiscore) Tons of fun and well run matches and, we have the best moving target on the east coast.
    Checking it out right now. Gap,PA is 2 hours from me, so it is definitely doable.

paulo_santos

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jan 4, 2006
    NJ
    www.spdcrossfit.com
    I’ll chime in with another vote for “go for it.” You’ll have fun, the Hornady HPBT line is a great budget bullet for this game (larger targets, every hit counts the same, high volume, moderate ranges), and so what if others have tools better suited for the game.

As for wind, try the wind rose tool on here, for your gun’s MPH. If you can go into a shoot with a wind estimate and a hold for it, then spot your impacts, you can compare notes between your plan and the reality. Just sending shots downrange and seeing misses isn’t very useful if you don’t have a frame of reference, this is a gap of mine I need to address too. Good luck!
    Thank you for the info about the wind rose tool.

502Chevelle

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jul 1, 2014
    Charlotte NC
    It may be a little longer drive, but don’t overlook the matches at Pigg River Va. Good matches put on by good people in Va. Go run that AR in some local matches and have fun. Learn all you can, see what others are running, and while you are learning wind and positional shooting, you can decide which way you want to go. Just keep your expectations real.

hookedonbrass

[ ]
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    May 16, 2018
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Don’t let these fools tell you 75g .223 can’t be competitive.

Yes, a gas gun will more difficult because the recoil impulse will make it harder to spot where your bullet goes, and you probably won’t get the speed of a bolt action shooting 75g bullet.

But to generalize and say a 75g .223 in a bolt or gas gun won’t be competitive is horse manure.

Ask me how I know.

Occasionally a spotter may miss a hit on plate on a 900+y target if the mirage is bad and no hit indicator. Other than that it’s not hard to spot a hit with a .223

hookedonbrass

[ ]
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    May 16, 2018
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Most matches on the east coast only have 1-2 stages that are past 800y

And they usually have hit indicators. I’ve been shooting .223 all season and no issues with losing points long range stages.

Occasionally you’ll get robbed a point or two, but that happened to me just as often with my 6mm

.223 can hang with the 6mm all day. You might not win matches but you won’t get crushed.

Bolt gun vs. gas gun is a different story for sure tho (gas gun being more difficult for spotting where your bullet goes)

hookedonbrass

[ ]
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    May 16, 2018
    Montpelier, Virginia

This last part is horse poo.

.223 are a ton of fun in matches. And if you get good with it, you can run circles around some 6mm guys :)

Reactions: paulo_santos

deersniper

What would Burt do?
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    It may be a little longer drive, but don’t overlook the matches at Pigg River Va. Good matches put on by good people in Va. Go run that AR in some local matches and have fun. Learn all you can, see what others are running, and while you are learning wind and positional shooting, you can decide which way you want to go. Just keep your expectations real.
    Pigg River is a great time. Beautiful range

DeathBeforeDismount

Pretty much Infantry
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Nov 20, 2021
    West Coast
    I’m using the Hornady 75 Gr BTHP because the Sierra 77 Gr SMK shoot about the same out of my barrel, but the Hornady’s are half the price. I think the Sierra 77 Gr TMK are the best available bullets in .223, so I’ll give them a try and see if they shoot better.
    Nein.

If you want to win with .223 and by that mean win tactical, you are going to want the 73gr solids from PVA.

They are a significant BC advantage compared to everything else except the 155 solids from Warner that may or may not shoot.

Reactions: deersniper