• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .223, heavy bullets out of 16"bbl. What velocity??

Patrick_S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2006
Lunenburg, VT
Any of you guys that shoot the heavy .223 bullets in your match guns ever throw them out of a 16" AR? I'm just wondering what velocities your seeing. Looking for mag fed loads only, no single loaders.

Thanks
Patrick Scott

Re: .223, heavy bullets out of 16"bbl. What velocity??

I'm getting Nosler 77s to 2650 fps via 24.5gr W748 in milsurp brass. That's is a 1/9 twist 16" chrome-lined Bushmaster barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting Nosler 77s to 2650 fps via 24.5gr W748 in milsurp brass. That's is a 1/9 twist 16" chrome-lined Bushmaster barrel. </div></div>

Hows your accuracy with 9 twist and 77 grainers?

It does about 1.0-1.25 moa at 100 yards on paper, 10 shots. Most will be clustered in about .75 moa with a couple opening up the group.

Seems to hold same out to 500 yds via rock shooting evals.

77s are probably right on the edge as far as stability, but they do work in this barrel.

I should add that I'm shooting with a standard milspec trigger, and a simple Weaver K4 scope, suppoted by a military loop sling from prone.