• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Hodgdon Powder

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
What are the best Hodgdon powders to use for .223 ammo?

52gr.?
62gr.?
68-69gr.?
77gr.?
I am new to reloading and would like to try this powder first.

Also Can you reload Hornady TAP casings? Better? Problems?

Thanks guys.

Re: .223 Hodgdon Powder

I'm liking Benchmark so far with the 50's.
Varget worked very well with the 69-75's.

I'm seconding the Benchmark for 50's. I haven't played with any larger ball because I am developing a Varmint load.

I'm shooting a 55 Gr Blitzking right at the top end load for BenchMark. I have been getting roughly a quarter size group at 200 yards with it.

The Varget I have been having problems with. One day I get some quarter size groups at 200 the next time I try to replicate the load I might get Moa or a bit larger. I am in the 25 Gr of Varget range right now and climbing.

H335 I had great groups when the temp was in the 50's and 60's and then when it warmed up I was getting three inch groups with the same load.

IMR4895 I have got some respectable groups with it in the mid 24 Gr's of powder.

All of this is shot with a 55Gr Blitzking.

Some of my early work ups were with a 52Gr Speer Hpbt it did well also with groups.

I had bought some 55Gr Hornady Bulk Bullets and they blow as far as groups go.

I have been getting good accuracy with BL-C2 with all weights, and it throws perfect. I have used Varget, but not as good and you have to weigh it. I got a deal on RL 7 and it seems to shoot OK. I really like the BL-C2 and it will also work in my .308s if I run out of Varget.

Just use Benchmark we loaded 760 thousand rounds of 223 for pest destruction with benchmark and 55gr projectiles it is perfectly balanced for the case and projectile weight and it flows through the powder thrower as well as ball powder.

if you find a load that shoots that well stop looking for the holy grail if you already have it you are just waisting your time and components.

As for the heavier projectiles H4895 works well for projectiles up to around 77gr but when you go over that use varget, Varget is the best powder for projectiles heavier than 69gr bar none, also a trick with heavy projectiles in a 223 use Remington 7 1/2 primers they burn hotter and help with case fuls of slower powders like Varget. I also use a case full of varget with the 90gr Sierra and they shoot past 1000 yards realy well they will shoot 4" high groups at 1000 yards and at 300 groups were .320" high and .860 wide off a bipod with no wind flags. the chamber was a Nato chamber so it had a long throat and i was using 25gr of Varget. DO NOT LOAD THAT START AT 23GR AND WORK UP

Bill,
Benchmark like Varget is an ADI powder right?
Do you know its military application?
I presumed the Benchmark was for 5.56 and Varget for 7.62.

H335 gives good groups for me at various temps, but it's temp sensitive. It's great for light bullets up to about 60gr or so, 50 and 55's it's wonderful.

I've used BLC-2 for up to about 75gr bullets, beyond that I haven't shot heavy bullets in my AR-15. The BLC-2 is temp sensitive too.

Neither powder has shown groups opening up as the temp changes (not appreciably anyway) but it does change the POI.

Yes benchmarkk and varget are ADI powders neither are actualy military powders but close.

The 223 ss109 powder is between Benchmark and H322 it is a batch made to suit the velocity they are trying to obtain. in Australia we have benchmark1 that is faster than H322, H322 is called AR2219 here, Then the Australian 308 was loaded with a discontinued powder called AR2206, AR2206 is slightly faster than a powder called AR2206H, AR2206H is H4895 they stoped AR2206 because they have stoped making 7.62 factory here in Australia if they start up they might re release the powder. Varget is sold here as AR2208 and is best suited for projectiles heavier than 150gr in a 308 or heavy projectiles in a 223.

as a side note
Benchmark1, AR2219 and Benchmark2 are not as temperature stable as the other powders like AR2206H or AR2208. The AR2206H was only made for many years for your market being sold as H4895 so our market was not large enough to keep making it in small lots so they just renamed H4895 and placed the H for Hodgdon on the end.

Ar2206 and Ar2206H are very similar their granual size is the same and the only diference is that Ar2206H has more deterent coating to slow its burn rate slightly to match the specifications for H4895.

Hope that is clear as mud

Thanks Bill.
It is as concise a description as one could expect.

forgot to specify benchmark is Benchmark2 the slower one of the two you dont get Benchmark1 there.

The best bet is in hot weather run mild loads of benchmark with projectiles of 55gr or less and 25gr is a good top load that you will not have issues with temperature also for primers softer primers work best like CCI BR$, Fed 205, Win, or Russian standard.

if you want to run medium loads with any projectile from 40gr up to 70gr H4895 is hard to beat and still flows through a powder thrower realy well then look with thease loads the primers like CCI BR4, Russian Magnum, Win and Rem 7 1/2 for the heavier projectiles.
If you reduce the loads of H4895 only use the magnum primers or Rem 7 1/2 as the extra deterant coating can be a bit harder to consistantly ignite and good neck tension is also important.

Then for light loads with 55gr to 69gr Varget works realy well and for long range loads from 69 to 90gr Varget is the only choice for a load for all weather. When loading the heavy projectiles the best primer is Rem 7 1/2 a lot of other primers have thin cups or brittal cups and the extra back pressure that the heavy projectiles create will have a lot of primers blow out through the firing pin hole. The Russian MAgnum primers also work well and if you have abushed bolt face the CCI 450's work but i have had some of them let go.

So i hope that also works for you with Varget dont wory about using compresed loads up to 10% compresion is fine and when the loads are lightly compresed the extreme spreads come down and the ammo burns a lot cleaner and shoots very well.

I do a lot of testing here and write articles for the Australian target rifle magazine and am licenced for ballistic testing so i have spent a fair bit of time testing this, I also was involved in a family buisnedd where we profesionaly reloaded ammo comercialy.

So if you need any other info let me know.

Now the only other powders that are as stable as the ADI/Hodgdon Extreme are the Vitavouri 100 series powders they are very good aswell because they are single based powders aswell. That means they have nitroceluloce as the primary ingrediant where most of the other powders are double or even tripple including nitroglyserine as a seccond chemical. Aliant powders most ball powders and Vitavouri 500 series are like this you can get more velocity but they are usualy very sensative to pressure changes when loaded to top pressures.

Benchmark-
50grn bullets- 26.0 grns
55grn bullets- 25.5 grns
60grn bullets- 25.0 grns
75AMAX- 24 grns

Never tried any 69 with Benchmark.

Also, Ive never noticed anything wild with temp swings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Benchmark-
50grn bullets- 26.0 grns
55grn bullets- 25.5 grns
60grn bullets- 25.0 grns
75AMAX- 24 grns

Never tried any 69 with Benchmark.

Also, Ive never noticed anything wild with temp swings. </div></div>

The loads you are running are mild with Benchmark i would not go over them if you did with the 75gr projectiles on a hot day say in the 100's that is only 40 degrees c here and most summer days here push past that in no time. you will be shooting away and then wonder why most cases look fine and you think that you might just be able to seat a large rifle primer into that 223 case that just came out of yout rifle. This happens with all brands of cases and yes lapua is one. at the moment believe it or not we are having best luck with rem 223 cases the win cases wil die in 2 shots with warm loads and the lapua is lunching itself in 3 or 4 but rem is going clost to 10 all in a bolt gun but the same loads.

With 52gr bullets I have had excellent results in the 21.0 - 23.5gr. range of RL10X. Used Varget & IMR 4895 for the heavier bullets.The rifle was a Rem. 700 PSS 26" bbl. 1:9 twist

H322 out of my 1:9 twist bolt gun is the shit with 68-69 grain bullets. I haven't noticed any problems with temp from 40-100 degrees here in the south.

My current favorite is Ramshot TAC (not a Hodgdon powder). I haven't tested it, but it is also supposed to be temperature stable according to some articles I have read (FWIW).

It meters so well it's not worth weighing - it is a ball powder. I've only used it for bullets near 55gr, but is's shooting .75ish groups out of my Remington VTR-15 AR carbine off of a bipod, and I wouldn't win any shooting competitions - someone better could probably get it around .5MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSPKurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H322, Benchmark and Varget </div></div>Agreed, I use 322 under 69 and Varget over 69 to 80