• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 in a BH Origin??

m700.308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2013
Anyone out there running 223 through a Origin? If so, any issues feeding, light primer strikes, etc.?

I am running a Origin chambered in 6BR and it cycles fine...starting a trainer build, thinking about building a twin.

I am. So far , no issues at all.

I have an Origin with a WTO SwitchLug. Switch between 6CM and 223. No problems at all. The 223 is quickly becoming my new fav.

I have an Origin with a WTO SwitchLug. Switch between 6CM and 223. No problems at all. The 223 is quickly becoming my new fav.

Awesome, glad to hear it! 223's becoming the fav seem to be the common theme...I cant wait to get this thing together.

thanks for the info!

Paging @padom.

I have a .223 in an origin right now and I previously had a savage prefit barrel in 6.5 creedmoor on it. I just haven't had a chance to do any load development on it.

Anyone out there running 223 through a Origin? If so, any issues feeding, light primer strikes, etc.?

I am running a Origin chambered in 6BR and it cycles fine...starting a trainer build, thinking about building a twin.

Nope, zero issues what so ever. Feeds great. No ignition issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: m700.308
Whats the question?

Homie OP is asking whether a .223 in an origin has any issues. I can only testify to the dry firing being fine. But I more or less have you designated as the Origin expert.

i built two .223 Origin's for my son and I. Prefit barrels from PVA. We run Black Hills 77gr 5.56 factory ammo. ZERO issues feeding from MDT polymer magazines.

I have a 223 PVA barrel spun on my Origin currently. I have not had any issues at all. Calvin elite single stage, MPA Chassis, and a mdt magazine.

Sweet! Bolt head is going on order today, going to start hunting down MDT mags as well. I will post the results once this thing is together. I really appreciate the input!

Sweet! Bolt head is going on order today, going to start hunting down MDT mags as well. I will post the results once this thing is together. I really appreciate the input!

I have two mdt mags and 1 accurate mag. The mdt both have the follower hang up on them every once in a while. Accurate mag is much smoother feeding also

I have a .223 with tl3 shouldered barrel running on my origin with the hunt's tl3 compatible recoil lug. Very fun to shoot.

Update for those interested...

Got the 223 together, it’s hammer! Not only that but the Origin hasn’t missed a beat. Picks up the rounds with no problems.

I did have some issues with the MDT mags. Switched over to Accurate mags, they have been great. Opened up the mag well a little to allow for a bit more room in the mag.

Here are the notes from my load for those interested:
Running a 26” barrel with an ultra 7 can
- Lapua brass
-h4895 -24.3gb
- 75gn ELD-M .0025 off the lands
- CCI 400 primers.

3015fps SD 7, no pressure issues

Thanks guys

Reactions: Olen_4504
I have one in a KRG Bravo using mdt polymer mags with no issues. Mucho fun.

@RFutch Nice!

I shoot in fairly dusty environments, so maybe that contributed to the follower hanging up in the MDT's. Glad they are working out for you. If it goes down in the future don't hesitate to grab an Accurate mag. A few buddies have thousands of rounds through their Accurate mag with no issues.

I have an accurate mag too that I use in my savage/cdi 223. It fits the mag well better than the mdt. Nice thing about the bravo is I can adjust the mag well to fit the mag.

I have an origin that I've been running in 223 with MDT mags. I've noticed that if I use factory ammo that is standard length the follower will occasionally nose dive. With my hand loads ( that are 2.450 long) the issue is much better but I have notice will happen occasionally if I run the bolt slowly.

For those with accurate mags, do they still seem to run consistently after modifying them for the longer OAL ammo?

@DRichardson I havent had any issues with the Accurate Mags since opening it up. The sleeve comes apart easily, then I hit it with a file. Opened it up to around 2.550" of mag.

Heres a picture...mag is super dirty, still running strong.

IMG_1780.jpg

eres a picture...mag is super dirty, still running strong.

I did the same thing with my metal mags - they work great. I love that I can crank out .223 loads on the Dillon and the accuracy is sub-MOA. And I can make as many rounds as I have time for ....until my bad shoulder gives out and needs a break. Conveniently I use the same powder charge for 80's loaded long as I do for 75's loaded to AR mag length. All I have to do is adjust my seating die and run with it.

I've got a TL3 ...but it's similar to an Origin - I've had one or two feeding issues in rapid fire stages in NRA Highpower competitions....but I can't guarantee that it wasn't my fault. I certainly didn't blame the action.