• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Loads

skep_tic1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
NC
I've got my model 70 out. Its a .223 with 1/9 twist and a 26" heavy barrel. I'm getting ready to take it out and see how it does. Tonight I'm going to load some rounds for it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">For powder I've got RL15 & IMR 4895.
I'll be loading 52gr amax, 75gr amax, 52gr smk, & 69gr smk</span>

Can you guys give me some recipies that have worked well for you include coal? I'm also referencing my books but experience is where its at.

How does this sound

<span style="font-weight: bold">23.5gr IMR4895 w/ 69gr smk @ 2.310" OAL
23.5gr IMR4895 w/ 75gr amax @ 2.430" OAL</span>

OAL for both of these was determined by backing off little by little until the rifling just did quit leaving marks on the bullet

Re: .223 Loads

My LTR Loves 75 HPBT Hornady with 25.0 of Varget NOTE I use MOLY so if you find some varget start lower and work up.

Its not much help with the powder that you listed but its a FYI to ya.

I have shot a few thousand of 15 gr Blue Dot 35 gr Vmax moly, 2.17" OAL, 3500 fps.

The advantages of that load:
a) Barrel stays cool at 100 shots per hour.
b) Barrel stays very clean even after hundreds of shots
c) Better groups at 100 yards than heavier bullets and charges with more recoil
d) Low pressure load give low stress to brass
e) quiet
f) cheap
g) explosive on rodents
h) flat to 180 yards, with one elevation hits rodents out to 180y

Disadvantages
a) Flake powder can hang up in powder measure
b) 18 gr max load does not fill the case
c) Requires diligence in loading to prevent case failure
d) Bullet has the ballistics of ping pong ball and needs a foot of elevation and windage at 230 yards.

Ok, how does this sound

<span style="font-weight: bold">23.5gr IMR4895 w/ 69gr smk @ 2.310" OAL
23.5gr IMR4895 w/ 75gr amax @ 2.430" OAL</span>

OAL for both of these was determined by backing off little by little until the rifling just did quit leaving marks on the bullet

What do your manuals say about these loads?????

I can't speak for anyone else but I know you don't know me. Why should you trust your face, eyes and smokepole to my "wisdom"!

My Hogdon manual says you are .3 grains shy of max on the 75gr AMAX and .2 gr over minimum on the 69 GR SMK.

Safe on the 69 gr and pushing your luck on the 75 gr.

But I am a stranger...

I started with 75 a-max and 24gr. of RL-15 working it up, never looked back, in a stock PSS

Hey..... Thats the same thing my Hogdon manual said. I only had a few of the 75gr amax's so I thought I'd go ahead and load them warm. I do normally like to use a lighter load however. Those damn amax's just look like they are begging to be hot.

I have found in my 1:9 twist 20" remington the 75"s like 24.3gr of IMR4895. I load to an OAL of 2.455. Just barely off the lands.2860fps.
69SMK's like a full 25.0 gr. YMMV
Rob

Rob, do your cases show any kind of pressure signs at that load? Are you using new brass? Group size?

I have loaded a lot of .223's with 25.3 gr of either Varget or RL15 with the 69 SMK or 68 Hornady match bullets. Haven't shot them over the chrono yet, but they shoot very well in both of my AR15's.