• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 on 650 Dillon

Re: 223 on 650 Dillon

I make 2 passes on the 650 when loading 223...usually. YOu can do it all at one pass but things dont always go as smooth, so what I do is deprime/size in one pass, then run them back thru seating primers, powder and ball. That way, you arent sizing while doing everything else as sizing causes the most press movement/force. That way, you aint got powder splashing up out of the cases all the time. I also use a lee decapper with a modified rod in stage 1, then stage 2 is my dillon carbide size die without the mandrel.....I dont like running things into the case mouth. If the cases are boogered to where i need to do so, they get tossed into a box to get used at a later date....those are rare though.

Otherwise, just be sure your press is set up correctly, indexed, etc and have at it. Watch for corncob pieces cause they will jam sheet up quickly than you can believe. Ball powder is the way to go, but if you must run stick, be sure you are using a powder check cause that stuff will bridge on ya. I also use rubber bands on my powder bar to give it a swift kick back after dropping the charge. Seems to help things a bit.

After tens of thousands of rounds of 223, I still aint got it perfect yet! (I load all of our jr HP program ammo so my press..and me...get a heck of a work out!)

John

My 650 is set up just like the video tape and instruction sheets advise. I have no problems with it. I have a target of a 30 shot group. The first three shots "walked" into the group. The remaining 27 rounds are in one 1 1/8" hole. I still have the target hanging on the wall.

My trick is to have the brass ready to go, and as others stated, make two passes.

I also refuse to use stick powder in the Dillon powder measure.

I run a Hornady case activated powder measure on my 650. The cases are checked for case length, spray lubed and run through all the dies. Including sizing and priming. Usually loaded with surplus WC-844 ball powder, but I have used varget to load 69 noslers.

dillon%20.223.jpg

Other times, sizing is done off press, then trimming and other case prep before being run through the other steps.

image9.jpg

If the shells are coated with lube, a tumble in my vibratory tumbler to remove the lube, then they're boxed for the range.