• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 options and questions

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
The next rifle I want to add to my stash is a small centerfire. I am leaning towards a 223 but would consider a 22-250 or something similar. Basically I want it for my go to coyote rifle and something I can shoot that is cheaper than my 308. I would like something I don't have to take off the shelf and immediately change the stock and trigger and so on. I am leaning towards a Savage model 10 predator or model 10 precision carbine. I can get those through my dealer for around 700. That's what I am looking to spend. Love the Savages I have now and don't see much reason to change what's not broke but I am open to options and suggestions. I have heard nothing but good things about the Howa 1500. What are some thoughts and suggestions.

Re: 223 options and questions

keep using your 308 223 isnt that cheap anymore and youll gain more familiarity with your 308.

Really just want to add another bolt action. My cousin who I usually shoot with has a 223 also and we could buy ammo in bulk. Honestly in the past year I just got back into bolt actions recently and can't get enough now! Other than my 308 I got a 22LR and a 22mag on order that will be in thursday. So I wouldn't mind a small centerfire.

I just bought an LTR in .223 but haven't received it yet. I chose .223 because I shoot the same ammo in my AR. There are 2 other reasons to go with .223 over 22-250 that have nothing to do with that though. First, 22-250 is expensive to buy. Much more than .223 around here. Second, and more importantly to me, 22-250 eats up the throat of a barrel considerably faster than .223. My $0.02... FWIW.

bump for the LTR in .223. I recently purchased one for the wife to learn on, it seems to have eveything needed for decent out of the box accuracy in a short package.

savage 10PC, lighter than the long barreled ones, the accustock is a great improvement over the standard tupperware stock and they are excellent shooters. Very good trigger, DBM,20" barrel.
What's not to like?

My 223 bolt gun is hands down my favorite rifle to shoot. It started life as an LTR and then got a new barrel, then a new stock, then a new mag system. I had to have it set back and rechambered last fall. It took about 3500 rounds of 80 grain VLDs at 2900 from a 22" barrel for the accuracy to go from .4" averages to 1" averages.

I used that rifle to get two other people introduced to LR shooting. The accuracy, the lack of recoil and the ease that the 80VLDs got to 1k made it a very good teaching gun.

After some research I have narrowed it down to the Savage model 10 carbine, and the LTR. I like the LTR and unlike other Remington's looks like you can get good results without immediately changing the stock and trigger.

Lets see some of your guys LTR pics!

Here mine, I sold it about a year ago when I finished my custom in an AICS.

IMG_6744.jpg

Here is it's replacement : )

IMG_6944.jpg

JamieD
Wolf Precision
All Hogs Go to Heaven

I have an older Savage 110 in .223 had the old stock on it really weak so changed it to a Choate and what a difference. Rifle now shoots 1/4" groups at a 100 with 75gr. A-max same with 62 gr. of anyones.

Get a bottom level Savage 12 action and put a Choate stock on it.

I have a Choate Super Sniper stock on my 12 that started in 204 ruger, I got an OEM take off barrel (new, not used) for cheap and spun it on myself. Last weekend with bulk ammo it was shooting around 1.5" 10 shot groups at 200y. It was good for just over MOA by 600y

You can reload and run the heavy 75's through the factor 1:9tw and do much better I'm sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a bottom level Savage 12 action and put a Choate stock on it.

I have a Choate Super Sniper stock on my 12 that started in 204 ruger, I got an OEM take off barrel (new, not used) for cheap and spun it on myself. Last weekend with bulk ammo it was shooting around 1.5" 10 shot groups at 200y. It was good for just over MOA by 600y

You can reload and run the heavy 75's through the factor 1:9tw and do much better I'm sure. </div></div>

No offense... but you can't be serious about that stock! A Choate Super Sniper??? Seriously???

I have nothing against Savage. I don't own any but I understand they are very nice rifles. Accurate and easy to work with. But for God's sake don't get one of those Tupperware Stocks!!!