• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 or….

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I’ve got a tikka 223 that I don’t have glass for, and won’t be using for a bit, thinking of changing barrels and opening the bolt up, but I’ve got over 1000 77smk that id like to use, and go to heavier bullets after… what are my options with the current 223 bolt face ?
    Or to take advantage of 80-90 projectiles, am I looking at a 22CM?

I have a Maven 5-30 new if your are interested

Last edited:
    223AI. Cheap brass and projectiles and excellent barrel life. 75 eldm at over 3000 fps with less than 30grs of powder is just fun.
    Is the ackley that much more efficient over standard 223?
    I’ve got a 24” barrel spinning the 77’s at 2820 with 23.4gr of 8208

You will gain some performance over a standard 223 wylde chamber but you will never have to trim brass and brass lasts forever. I get 3050 fps with 75ELDM and 8208 out of a 20” AI. I can get a little more speed but the accuracy at 3050 is outstanding

Reactions: Aftermath
    You will gain some performance over a standard 223 wylde chamber but you will never have to trim brass and brass lasts forever. I get 3050 fps with 75ELDM and 8208 out of a 20” AI. I can get a little more speed but the accuracy at 3050 is outstanding
    That speed is great with a 20”! I’d love to have mine that length. 24” with a can gets long and awkward to move around.
    What mags are you using? Any feeding issues?

That speed is great with a 20”! I’d love to have mine that length. 24” with a can gets long and awkward to move around.
    I run MDT metal aics mags and plastic ruger aics mags with zero feeding issues.

Last edited:
    I run MDT metal aics mags and plastic ruger aics mags with zero feeding issues.
    That’s good to hear. I’ve got the plastic mdt aics 223 mags.
    Googling the AI speeds, seems 80eld does really well, but I’m guessing I could get my 77’s smokin pretty good. It already hammers at 650-700

I'm loving mine. Running 80SMK's at 2980 out of a 24". Did well the other weekend out to 700yds. Vertical DOPE is pretty much in line with my 6.5cm out to 500yds. drops 0.1-0.2 more than the 6.5 to 700.

No feeding issues with metal Accurate Mag or MDT polymer mags.

Last edited:
    I'm loving mine. Running 80SMK's. Did well the other weekend out to 700yds. Vertical DOPE is pretty much in line with my 6.5cm out to 500yds. drops 0.1-0.2 more than the 6.5 to 700.

No feeding issues with metal Accurate Mag or MDT polymer mags.
    Is it an option to have my current barrel reamed to ai? Or am I looking at a new barrel for this set up?

Is it an option to have my current barrel reamed to ai? Or am I looking at a new barrel for this set up?

I don't see why not. I know its possible to get barrels redone like like that, but you'd probably have to check on your own for that for your specific barrel.

What twist rate are you guys running?
    I don’t see myself ever shooting anything lighter than 75, and probably up to 88.

8 twist or 7?

What twist rate are you guys running?
    I don’t see myself ever shooting anything lighter than 75, and probably up to 88.

8 twist or 7?

Definitley 7.
    I’m running 8 in my 223AI and my gyroscopic factor with 80’s is getting close to 1.4 “minimum” that’s recommended. They have done great out to 700yds but the 85gr+ bullets are no bueno in mine.

Definitley 7.
    I’m running 8 in my 223AI and my gyroscopic factor with 80’s is getting close to 1.4 “minimum” that’s recommended. They have done great out to 700yds but the 85gr+ bullets are no bueno in mine.
    Cool deal. With the 7 twist, the 70 grain stuff will be good to go also?

Cool deal. With the 7 twist, the 70 grain stuff will be good to go also?

You should be good with a 7 down into the 50’s. I’ve ran 50gr Bergers, 50gr Varmint Grenades and 52gr Vmax out of 7 and 8 twist no issue. As In, they got pushed hard and didn’t blow up, no significant loss in accuracy.

You can always run the 53gr Vmax if you just want one option. Those have the longer bearing surface.

Remember that military rifles were switched to 7 twist when M193 was still used and that’s 55gr. (I’m like 90% sure on that) lol

20" Kreiger 1:7 in 223AI, 80 gr Berger VLD's exit at 2850 (suppressed), 26 gr BLC-2. Stupidly accurate and near zero recoil.
    It has become my favorite rifle to shoot.
    That’s awesome! I’m going to pull my tikka barrel this week and post it and the chassis and after Christmas, I’ll re do it

That’s awesome! I’m going to pull my tikka barrel this week and post it and the chassis and after Christmas, I’ll re do it

My next barrel, I'll probably stick with 223AI, but I want to go longer. I think I may do like a 28-30" 223AI, then do my 6.5cm in a 16-18" barrel, or maybe the opposite, idk lol.

either way, my 223AI has been on of my favorite rifles so far and is just a joy to shoot. Good luck with yours.

My next barrel, I'll probably stick with 223AI, but I want to go longer. I think I may do like a 28-30" 223AI, then do my 6.5cm in a 16-18" barrel, or maybe the opposite, idk lol.

either way, my 223AI has been on of my favorite rifles so far and is just a joy to shoot. Good luck with yours.
    Thanks. I’ve had 16-18 and 24” 6.5’s and currently have a 24” for matches but found 18” to be a good compromise.
    I’ve got a 16” 308 and think the 20” 223ai will be awesome. If I can get the same speeds for more out of a shorter barrel, I’ll be happy

What 223ai dies are you using?

Thanks. I’ve had 16-18 and 24” 6.5’s and currently have a 24” for matches but found 18” to be a good compromise.
    I’ve got a 16” 308 and think the 20” 223ai will be awesome. If I can get the same speeds for more out of a shorter barrel, I’ll be happy

I'd love to just have a really long barrel to wring out every last drop of the caliber and a really short barrel for easier handling and suppressor use. Both would also just be fun to play around with. I don't compete, and if I get more into hunting, I'll probably just get a hunting barrel or another rifle.

What 223ai dies are you using?
    I'm running a Redding full length sizer and Micrometer seating die. I believe it is a match set or something, not sure, I bought it used. Has worked great for me over ~500rds so far.

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
    I’m reading that with a AI, the barrel needs to be set back .004 or so after chambering…. Wondering if everyone making pre fits does this?

I’m reading that with a AI, the barrel needs to be set back .004 or so after chambering…. Wondering if everyone making pre fits does this?

From what i've read its pretty common knowledge. I think getting that done correctly would be in the category of hiring someone who has a good reputation.

From what i've read its pretty common knowledge. I think getting that done correctly would be in the category of hiring someone who has a good reputation.
    I’ve got blanks from raggedhole barrels before that shot amazing… they do prefits now and I was looking at them, or preferred barrel blanks for the 223ai

I’ve got blanks from raggedhole barrels before that shot amazing… they do prefits now and I was looking at them, or preferred barrel blanks for the 223ai
    Preferred barrel blanks makes a prefit with a 223 AI chamber with .120 freebore, ideal for heavy for caliber bullets. Make sure to buy a 223 AI go guage and a 223 go guage that ends up being an AI no go.