• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .223 or .357 Mag for hunting wild boar?

Gunfighter25

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
Hawaii
Going hunting for wild boar soon and have a small dilemna. Have a choice of a 16-inch, Win 94 AE in .357 Mag , iron sights or an AR-15 with a Weaver Extreme 1.5-4X 30mm tube with Dual-X/red illum dot. Will be under heavy cover/trees so light will be very low. Clear open shots ranges from contact (< 10 feet) to about 25 yards due to the trees and brush.

Piggies usually come out just before dusk and move uphill into real heavy cover around just before dawn. Already selected a 158 gr jacketed soft point @1240 fps for the .357 mag. Looking to use a 64 gr, soft point, .223 round running a little hotter than 3000 fps in my AR. AR is a 16-inch, 1:9 twist, light barrel (.625" under the gas block). Zeroed both rifles for POA/POI at 50 yards.

Other concerns - terrain is hilly, with heavy vegetation, brush-busting required. Shots will likely be down hill, into the wind. Weather can be wet and cold instantly. Would use my 24-inch .308 Rem 700 but it's slow to swing around for a quick shot and is not a good setup for hunting four-legged targets in brush.

These are my choices - will probably take both but hunting regs here say you can only carry one weapon while hunting. Which would you take? BTW - if there are better choices in ammo, let me know too.

Thanks for your time,

Gunfighter

Re: .223 or .357 Mag for hunting wild boar?

mag lims in the AR,

a 223 is most unsuitable for the task however faced by the situation and given the same choice you do,

a few full 30 round mags, one fmj or even better TSX/similar bullet to every other SP or just the good TSX/high quality ammo all the way through,

I would keep on shooting at the one pig until it goes down, and yes headshots and pelvis shots would be my main targets unless they are really small pigs,

I have seen 7,62 bullets of good standing NP, fail to reach vitals after some low angle shots, made for a bit of stresser for that hunter.

But hey above ideas are just mine, I have a well founded respect for boars and there ability to soak up good shots and keep on going.

Best regards Chris

Are these absolutely the ONLY two calibers you have available to you? While a .223 is an O.K. caliber to put them down with solid head shots, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it in brush (bullets deflect too easily) and if you were to be charged, it would take a perfect shot to down one with the .223.

The .357mag with a 16in. barrel with a heavier round would be a better choice to avoid as many bullet deflections and on the off chance you get charged, I'd feel more comfortable with the .357 muzzle to fur.

Ideally, I would go with a .44 mag or some higher energy carbine, 444 marlin etc. If you don't have any other options the .357mag would do the job at hand.

Main thing, be confident with your shots and only take good high quality shots to avoid a wounded boar in heavy cover. I hunt hogs with dogs and have seen what they are capable of when cornered and angry. They are not something to take lightly and especially in the heavy cover, where you are at a disadvantage. Thats my .02 cents on the matter. Enjoy your hunt and get us some pictures when you get back.

Chad

I'd take the 357 and use some very hard cast lead. It's going to drill bone, armor plates (cuz that's what those boars are packing).

Friends of mine in SC shoot them with 22 mag in the ear in the same kind of cover you're talking about, never liked the idea much, but I took every chance I could to tag along.

Load 158 cast into the 357 over a good solid dose of H110 or another similar powder and whop the heck outta the piggies.

I've killed wild hogs with a .223 AR, as have a lot of people, and never felt undergunned. I use the Sierra 65 grain gameking and it has done the job quit nicely.

Given those two choices i would pick the AR. Soft nose bullets would not be a great choice for hogs. Now if you changed them to FMJ or even better hard cast bullets then you got a winner.

And if you pick a solid bullet like TSX or heavier 75gr bullet the 5.56 will also make a great round.

Ive killed boar with a 223 shooting military 77gr FMJ
Ive also killed boar with a 45-70 lever gun

For distance shots Ive put down a 180 pound hog with one shot with a 6.5 creedmoor. its all about shot placement with a boar.

Been reading the feed back and I'd like to hear more about the TSX bullets and what makes them better penetrators.

Agree that shot placement is critical, especially a quick shot at less than 50 yards. Height over bore comes into play also for the close-in shot.

Appreciate the comments,

Gunfighter

You do not need any fancy ammo to kill hogs. A .223 will kill hogs and anything else in Texas. On a Hog just wait for a headshot, behind the ear if possible. I have also killed them by shooting them behind the shoulder, be prepared to do some tracking by trying this.

The .223 is a great round for open area shots that are deliberate, not so great for brush with animals that may be on the move. Not sure of the size of hogs over there but we get some big ones here in GA (caught some 450+lb hogs) and I have shot them at point blank with a .44mag only to watch them shake it off (body shots not head to avoid hitting one of my dogs) they do die but don't always drop. Hogs are some of the most hardy animals I have ever hunted and can take a beating before going down. On open groud with ample time to take a very well placed shot, I'd go with the .223 but the cover and chance of moving shots makes the .357 mag better from my experience.

Chad

Here is a pic of one that was caught and shot with a .44mag that didn't go down with the first shot...
hunting006.jpg

New to this site but wanted to comment on this topic. I'm an avid hunter in Louisiana and have hunted wild boar many of times. I have taken them down with a .410 slug, .45 ACP, 20 gauge buck shot, 12 gauge slug, 7mm Weatherby, .300 WM AND .45-70 Gov't. But to answer Gunfighter25's question I would use the .357 mag and forget the .223. But if you do use the .223 use a Barnes TXS bullet and make sure that you are carrying a side arm (40 cal or .45 ACP). Also if they do charge make sure that you pull at that side arm and get eye level with that boar and unload some nice hollow points into the skull. I know that sounds crazy but it works. Good luck.

i have never hunted hog my self but i would consider this a chance to get a new rifle or a new upper in a more suitable caliber by that i mean much larger but then i hunt deer with a 375 H&H

edit: that is if you can aford it

.223 is fine as long as your confident shooting it, and shoot some real close so you can see where your rounds are hitting at close range. unless your a quick lever action worker, you can pump more rounds out more accurately with an ar. main problem ive seen with people hunting with .223 on hogs unless you have standoff and can take headshots, is not enough penetration from type of animal and ammo. varmit bullets are for light skined animals, such as varmints and deer not hogs. the barnes are good stuff, corbon makes some good ammo, i would even recommend 5.56 62gr green tip. its got a steel penetrator, and when it hits itll break up decently and will punch through the other side. it penetrates steel 1/2 steel almost 2x what a .308 fmj will do. the 77gr SMKs are good if you get a good clean vital hit, but if you hit the shoulder you probably wont get much affect on vitals, depending on size of hog of course.

I have shot them with everything from a 223 to a 50bmg. With the exception of the 50 I have better luck with them going down with one shot with a 308 out of my LWRC, if you use a 223 try to get a shot behind the ear, the majority of the one I have shot behind the shoulder will do a lot of running afterwards. They are very tough animals, I have put solid hits on them with a 45-70 with 435gr buffalo bore ammo at 1900+fps and watched them drop only to get back up and run 100 yards or more before dying. I am still amazed at how tough these pigs can be.

It must just be me or perhaps wild boar in the US are less agressive but I would still be careful and I am not at all in to the,

"get then behind the ear, 223 will slay all fourlegged things in Texas and so on",

shit I have had a 300 lbs boar charge me from beneath a pine sapling at less than 2 meters, it was a contact shot with my 9,3x62 with a 320 grain Woodleigh bullet,

result, I was alright and the boar toppled

I am not sure a 223 would 55 grain fmj or other would have the same effect,

but sure, just stick it behind it´s ear and you will be ok.

Dude take care and do give them a reassurance round to the head asap as the stop or fall down.

I guess it´s a swedish thing, but here the boars do come around for a last and rather bloody stand given half a chance they will make your life feel more valuable or a reason to get new underwear.

Best regard Chris

100_0408.jpg

This pregnant sow was shot with a .308. The rifle was an M1A. The load was a Sierra 150 grain SBT gameking over 44.2 grains of W748.

100_0404.jpg

The larger one was shot with a .357 Mag. The rifle was a Marlin 1894 with a 24-inch barrel. The load was a Hornady 158 grain XTP hollow point over 14.1 grains of W296.

100_0272.jpg

This one was shot with a 20-inch barreled .223 AR. The load was a Sierra 65 grain SBT gameking over 25.2 grains of W748.

All of these pigs were dropped with one shot. All were fairly close shots done at night. I think the farthest shot was 50 yards.

Not looking to take a 400lb+ pig with my .357 or .223 but I'm thinking 150-200 lb would be enough meat for the summer BBQs. Especially smoked.

Gunfighter

Gunrunner
Been on pig hunts with dogs before. Harry was one of these crazy guys who hunts with a knife. Seen what a cornered pig can do up close even after getting cut and shot in the head. Got me a healthy respect for those tusks.

Thanks for the load data. How much would you recommend backing off to work up a load for the .357 and the .223? Your .223 load sounds pretty close to my 69 gr SMK load for W748.

google hogs by helicopter. that guy is absolutely wearing them out with a AR. I don't know what type bullet he is shooting but they are dropping left and right.

<span style="font-style: italic">Thanks for the load data. How much would you recommend backing off to work up a load for the .357 and the .223? Your .223 load sounds pretty close to my 69 gr SMK load for W748.</span>

My Sierra loading manual doesn't list the 65 grain bullet, so I looked at the 62 grain bullet data. 25.1 is the next load down from the maximum of 25.9. I just picked 25.2. My load for the 69 grain matchking is 24.8 grains of W748.

The .357 load is one a cousin gave me. It shoots extremely well in the Marlin so I just stuck with it, I can hit one-gallon milk jugs at 200 yards with boring regularity and the results of those hits are quite spectacular. The pig I shot with it was a frontal head shot and it dropped like it was hit by lightning.

In the .308 load, I'm using Lake City brass and that is the load my M1As like the best.

When picking a starting load, I simply pick the load that is the next down from the top and see how it does.

My favorite pig round was my .44 Ruger carbine for brush hunting.
I'd never shoot hollow points at a pig. It's hard enough penetrating one without splattering a bullet on impact. For the .44 I used 240g semi jacketed flat nose, and 23.2 grains of 2400. I don't know how fast they were going, but they were hot. Pretty flat to 100yds, then fell like a rock.
I shot 11 rounds at a sow one morning using a mini14 and ball ammo. It was a terrible mistake. About 25-30yds, running shots...every shot was a hit and it blew her apart, but she kept running (why I kept shooting). I'm not a fan of light bullets and "shot placement" on pigs...sometimes you don't have time and you need to be albe to aim center mass and count on a knock down. Load your 357 with as big a SJFN bullet as you can, and as hot as you can and aim for the heart.
JMO

just got back from hunting boar with my 243...they are tuff animals..i used 100 grain noslers and they went right threw a pig and it kept running...shot was a little behind vitls so i put another round threw its head and it droped... u can use either or as long as you get good shot placment

alpha,
looked up the TSX bullet on the Barnes site. Seems like the 62 grain Varget load is supposed to be the accuracy load. Watched the TSX bullet expansion video, pretty impressive if shooting a hog with the TSX plays out like the video.

Only problem is the test barrel twist rate listed is listed as 1:12 out of a 24-inch barrel. I will most likely be shooting a 1:7 twist, 16-inch barrel. The load I have on hand is the Hornady 75 grain BTHP factory match going at 2790 fps (factory data). Any field info on how the TSX 62 grain and the 70 grain bullet performs on live game?

BTW - found another glitch in the plan - airline requires ammo to be in original boxes, loaded in baggage separate from the gun case. Don't think they can tell the difference between a factory round and a good handload in a factory box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

BTW - found another glitch in the plan - airline requires ammo to be in original boxes, loaded in baggage separate from the gun case. Don't think they can tell the difference between a factory round and a good handload in a factory box. </div></div>

They don't have a clue between handloads and factory. I've flown with handloads several times.

If you're the least bit worried about it make sure that the headstamp on the cases matches the box, I highly doubt that they're even going to check that far.

I flew with my 44mag and some homerolled ammo with cast boolits in it. I pack them in a cardboard box with the foam insert just like normal ammo comes, I got some of the bulk boxes from Midway that are a plain white box.

I printed a label out with the caliber, bullet type, bullet weight, and "Custom Ammunition for the demanding hunter" on it.

It didn't cause any problems.

I would feel more comfortable hunting elk with a 223 than a feral hog (i say sarcastically). The round is definitely more than capable of taking a hog, but head shots are the best option.

You will realize this after a 200lb hog has turned on you because of a poor placed shot (cough cough LOL) and that was with my .270win through the gut. A quick follow up caught him square in the stout and into the head and dropped him.

I then went to the truck and used my toilet paper.

I was wondering why guys have been asking if I had toilet paper in my pack.

Getting back to the .357. Hornady has a 180 gr JHP in .357. Has anyone used this in a hunting load? How well did it do for a comparison with my Win 94 AE ranch rifle?

Hey Gunfighter where in Hawaii are you located at?

Im on Oahu, I would opt for the 357 for the conditions you mention. I hunt them every week mostly with dogs and knife but on occasion we go a check some spots with the rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not looking to take a 400lb+ pig with my .357 or .223 but I'm thinking 150-200 lb would be enough meat for the summer BBQs. Especially smoked.

Gunfighter</div></div>

Don't take a gun for what you Want to shoot, take a gun for what you might Have to shoot. You never know when you'll come across a big one, or a predator. I usually take a .308, 12 gauge, and a sidearm. I've heard too many horror stories to ever trust a .223 and I only use 5.7 (tiny bit bigger bullet with less powder) on the little ones if I can help it. Proper shot placement is key for any caliber, but it's nice to have a heavier hitting caliber if they charge, if there are multiple pigs and you need 1 shot, near instant kills, or just in general is you get an abnormally large one. I almost forgot to mention; you can kill hogs with a .22 even, But, it's all a question of "How Fast Are They Going Down?" and "How Often Are Those Fast, One Shot Kills Going to Happen With This Caliber?". It won't do much good if you shoot one with a smaller caliber and it charges you within that 2 minutes to however many hours of life it has left. Just my 2 cents

I would trade the '94AE .357 Mag for a '94AE .44 Mag. I have one and it's not for sale. When all those pigges you guys keep trying to smackdown with .223's and .357's reach us up here in Central NY, I plan on being actually ready. A 20ga semi with slugs ain't so bad, either.

Hunting feral hogs is not a sport, it's pest control. IMHO, there is no such thing as overkill. I want them to have big holes and NO attitudes.

Greg

In heavy brush go with the 357 lever action. You will be surprised how well this round performs out of a rifle. Plus easy to follow up if needed.

Either round should work fine for you.

I would lean toward the 223 round overall, but at short range the lever is a more natural pointer for me. Use the rifle that gives you the best target acquisition...I wouldn't be using a scope at 25 yards.

As to ammo choice, if folks aren't aware, the Win 64gr PP is a tough bullet with a thick jacket that works well on big game...one of the better jacketed bullets.

If you want to step up to the Barnes, I would go with the 53gr TSX. The extra velocity from the lighter bullet will tear things up more at close range and there is no lack of penetration. The higher velocity aids terminal effect.

In the 357, you should be able to easily get around 1500fps with the Hornady out of a rifle.

For the type of hunting you are thinking about either rifle is well suited to the task. If there is any possibility of a longer shot I would go with the AR, but for close in moving targets, I can't think of a better handling rifle than a 94 Trapper. Mine is a 45 which is perfect for a short range mix-up, but a head shot is the only sure way to quickly stop one of these little tough guys with just about any caliber.

Also do a little research on hog anatomy...they have their vital organs in a little different spot than other animals.

TC

K,
just a little south of you, near McKinley HS. Was thinking of taking a walk up into Nuuanu hunting areas to shake out my gear if I can get away from work for a day. Got to get the smell out of the gear or I'll never see any hogs.

Planning to go to the Big Island for a couple of days of hunting/smoking meat to bring back for the family. An entire generation is growing up without the benefit of freshly smoked pork.

Gunfighter

Gunfighter,

Sounds good was just down that way on 10th ave tonight watching the UFC @ a friends house. Anyway, if you ever wanna chase some hogs with dogs PM me here and i'll get back to you we go every weekend.

Also not sure if you know but Nuuanu is Archery only so just a heads up.

Take it easy!!!

Kawika,

Copy, understood Nuuanu was archery only. Just wanted to get back into moving in the brush without sounding like Hogzilla. Need to get used to walking up and down hills/ravines with my gear and without falling. Too much of that going around lately.

Thanks for the invite, may take you up on it when work allows.

Gunfighter

We run 223 gas guns on the swine w/ 55gr SP. We do a lot of hunting in thick brush <10ft out to 50 yds and have no problem putting them down. If one of them charges at you either hammer on him and change his attitude or just side step him. Remember if you are zeroed at 50yds. When he is 5-10 ft away your POI is going to be much lower than POA. I have seen this cause some problems. Guys aim at the ear and hit in the jowls.

Here is a pic from earlier this month. All shot between 10ft to 50 yds.

MarchHawgHunt007.jpg

MarchHawgHunt002-1.jpg

The 40-60lb swine eat real good.

G25,

Heres one that took 8 hits from a 10mm farthest shot was 10-12 ft and closest was point blank. You can see 2 of the exits in the pic. 2 shots was in the face straight on just under his left eye and the rest in the chest/shoulder and he was still able to get to me and flip me over as I tried to get outta the way luckily I didnt get cut as we were very far from the truck LOL!!!

DSC015561.JPG

Heres one we got yesterday took 3 solid hits in the chest from a 41 Mag and was working on chomping on my partners barrel when one of our dogs and I got thier and grabbed him was a very fun exciting hunt as well.

DSC01823.JPG

DSC01821.JPG

Lemme know if you find the time to go!

Aloha!!!

Yowza! Got some stones to be doing the bump with tusks like that. Looking like three inch tusks on a fairly young pig. I couldn't figure out what that green thing was in his throat. Took a couple of takes to realize it was the stick to hold the jaws open. Where were you guys? Behind Poamoho?

Nice rigs and nice catch. Jury still out on which rifle to use. Just got a new upper with a 16-inch 1:7 twist for shooting heavier bullets and I haven't had time to run some load tests. On the other hand, just got a new scope 1.5-6 X 44mm with illum reticle for the .357 mag and got to zero the scope and do load tests for heavier bullets. And not enough time to do both.

Decisions, decisions...

LOL yeah that is a stick to prop his jaw open

DOnt know if you tried it but the 53 gr barnes tsx did well in my 22-250 with a 1-14 tw. But if you have a faster twist barrel than id opt for a heavier bullet as well. It will also allow a quicker follow up shot if needed than a lever.

Goodluck!

Kawika,
just caught this thread and was happy to see some Hawaii hog hunting action. I was stationed here (pearl harbor) just last year and have not yet had the opportunity to do any hunting yet. Was in Texas for eight months or so and did some hunting with dogs and a knife and what a wild experience there. Would be interested in hearing about some hunting around here. I am getting underway tomorrow for the week, due back next Monday. Look forward to possibly hearing from you.

I have killed them with .223, .308 Win and .45ACP. All work fine. I do not use dogs, or get them upset. That could make a difference. The largest one I shot was certified at 640 lbs and I have the scale ticket. Shot with a .45 acp and Federal Hydra shocks. One through each side behind the shoulder.(Turned at shot) Ran about 50 yards. I have shot much game in North America and Africa called dangerous, and it all dies quickly with a well placed shot. Never harpooned a whale, but I am sure it would be the same. Of the two you mention, I would use the .223, as it is semi auto, No way a boar could turn and come into a stream of farily well placed .223 bullets.

Thanks for the info. Got a "You got Mail" ticket from USPS. Says NSSI on the ticket so it must be the Barnes TSX and the Hornady XTP bullets I ordered. Gonna load up a few and see how it prints at 100 yards.

Tried some 64 gr Federal PSPs this weekend. Grouped better than the Hornady 75 gr Match in my rifle - difference of 1.5 inches versus 6 inches @ 100 yards in a 5-15 MPH gusty wind. Tried to break the shot when the grass wasn't moving by the target. Federals seem alright for anything more or less than 100 yards. (Alright - the 6 inch group was mostly me, warming up)

Anyone use either for hogs?

The Barnes is a hell of a bullet for Pork'n Swine out of the 223. I don't shoot them often because I have cases of 55gr SP, however we had 20 loaded rounds and we have killed two hogs this year with them and they did really well. Both hogs were in the 150-170lb range. 1st hog was 150 yds broadside, bullet passed through lots of blood hog didn't make it back to the brush. Next one approx 50 yds away, pass through and major blood for 25yds and dead. I would have to say that out of all the 223 pills I've used on swine the barnes would get my vote.

CZ - were the shots clean through and through or did it bounce around? Wanted to know if the bullet hits bone, will it punch through or shatter the bone.

What I'm hoping for is high velocity shock to drop the pig. From the Barnes load data, it looks like the velocities will be below 2900 fps. I may have to drop the bullet weight down to 64-65 gr in order to get over 3000 fps.

I think the 70 gr bullet, if it hits the vitals, will expand as its designed to before passing through. A spine shot hopefully will produce enough shock to drop it. However, a lung/heart shot might be all I'll get if the pig turns to run.

As everyone has pointed out so far, shot placement is the key to dropping the pig and minimizing tracking a blood trail.

My worst case scenario is tracking a blood trail as its getting dark. Anybody got tips for tracking trails in the dark? Anybody got a good PDF of a hog's skeletal and vitals location? Want to hold it up and compare the picture to the pig before I take the shot. (Not)

Another friend is coming along and may have a hard time visualizing the shot placement and why we aim for these spots. The best pictures I found doesn't show enough detail and don't show how low the heart and lungs are or where the spine is in relation to the top of the pig.

Gunfighter25, yes the shots were clean through and through from what I could tell. Might have deviated and inch or so tops. I was most impressed by the broadside pass through shot at 150yds. Bullet entered/exited just below the shoulder w/ dime sized exit wound. The other was shot at 50yds low heart shot and it performed well also.

Here's a link to a real good anatomy picture that we reference to.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/hog_anatomy_2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter25</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Clear open shots ranges from contact (< 10 feet) to about 25 yards due to the trees and brush.

Piggies usually come out just before dusk and move uphill into real heavy cover around just before dawn. </div></div>

Sounds like a job for 00 buckshot. Just saying...
CW

Thanks, CZ. just what I was looking for. Will send this out tonight.

Gunfighter