• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 primers coming out

BeerAlchemist

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
WA
Finally getting around to processing some LC once fired and took about 40 rounds to the range yesterday. I'm shooting an AR and the loads are 55 fmj-bt with 25 gr varget (if I recall correctly. I know it's at the bottom end of the load data) and using CCI small rifle primers. While shooting I had about 5 rounds kick out the primer. There are no signs of over pressure nor should there be given they are loaded to spec. The only thing I can think of is that I have my dillon super swage set up incorrectly and I'm opening up the primer pocket when processing them. The primers feel like they are seating a little to easy too. I can't find anything in the forums so was wondering if anyone has thoughts on this possibility or any other possible culprits?

Re: .223 primers coming out

You may have named your own menace. If the primers are seating really easy, that's probably your problem. I am a strong believer in Mike Dillon's equipment. But I don't have this particular piece of hardware. Try reading the papers that came with it and changing the setup if needed. Try loading 10 more rounds after checking everything and see how they work. For most shooters, 10 rounds isn't going to break the bank. But I wouldn't process a large quantity of brass until I had made positive everything was set up correctly.

Good luck.

Decrimping with a super swage. I've been taking it slow with the military stuff as I get used to it so have only processed a small amount throught the swage. I'll make adjustments to it and see how that treats me.

I would set up the swage as follows...

Using decapped, fired primers, I would begin by adjusting the swaging to fail, e.i,. not enough to permit primer seating.

I would slowly increase the degree of swaging until the primers did seat acceptably, and stop right there.

I've done the overswaging bit, and it's actually horrifying how far one can go with this and still have no outward indication.

Greg

Sounds like over swaging, just as you suspected. The Dillon swager is a great tool, probably the best out there. But it isn't hard to overdo it. You have to set it just right, or else you will bust that primer pocket wide open and unfortunately, it can go unnoticed to the naked eye.

Also check the diameter of the swage rod...everything has tolerances set into the specifications...could be that you are doing everything right but the rod is too big in diameter. If proper size in diameter, I really have trouble visualizing how "over swaging"the pocket could open it up. Deeper, maybe, but the diameter is rod size dependent...Isn't it? Comments? JMHO

I have seen lots of overswaged primer pockets. I have had a RCBS for 25 years and it has always been good but there are some bad dimensions on some swaging tools.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also check the diameter of the swage rod...everything has tolerances set into the specifications...could be that you are doing everything right but the rod is too big in diameter. If proper size in diameter, I really have trouble visualizing how "over swaging"the pocket could open it up. Deeper, maybe, but the diameter is rod size dependent...Isn't it? Comments? JMHO </div></div>

I think that the end of the swagging rods are tapered, if I remember my buddy correctly.

He just got one and tells me it's easy to muck things up and opening up the pocket too much is a definite thing to watch out for. That's why Dillon and other users recommend swagging one headstamp at a time and then readjusting the crimp for the next brand of brass.

Chris

This was indeed a timely thread, I am currently having loose primer pocket issues with twice fired LC brass in my AI. I was blaming it on 26.5 gr of H4895 pushing an 80gr VLD. Guess I'll study somemore.

Since swaging brass is new to me I didn't have the slightest idea this could happen until it did and that was the only thing that made sense. That said, I will set up my reloading and go back and forth on a piece of brass until I find that magic area that gives the needed swage while still holding the primer tight. Thanks all.