• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Questions

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents,

I'm considering having a .223 built and I have a few questions:

What is the heaviest projectiles that will fire from a .223 and what is the twist required for the heavy stuff?

Is there currently a .223 bullet that works best for both hunting and target shooting (Amax/VLD)?

What experience have others had with hunting medium sized game (pigs/deer) with a .223 (not including head-shots)?

How far out have users been able to launch the heavier projectiles before wind drift makes consistent accuracy a problem.

Does the .223 AI offer significant improvements if hunting shots are limited to 250-300 meters?

Thanks in Advance
Rath

Re: .223 Questions

BBL tiwst-
1/8.

Bullet-
Look no further than the 75grn Hornady AMAX. Beleive me, it is a bullet worth building a rifle around. If youre a bit concerned with bullet performance on deer(which Im not), load up some 75 Sirrocos or 62TSXs and rock on.

Distance-
I shoot steel plates at 1K ala 223AI and 223 with the 75s. Pdogs and such are no different. My 223AI outruns the 223 by aprox 140FPS with the 75s... either way less elevation and about the same wind as a 175VLD/308Win combo. All the while buring 26grns of powder and no recoil, no blast, etc. Its sorta like cheating.

223 or 223AI-
Both have thier pros and cons. Both are fucking awesome. With that said, I will always have at least 1 precision bolt 223, and who knows how many 223AIs.....
grin.gif
Yes, they are that good.

yeah, 1 in 8 is good for 75's. still a little weak on big whitetail tho. ive done it but dont recommend. nice 8 point 1st round boiler room...he charged me 2nd round thru the teeth dropped his dick in the dirt at my feet but...ive used a m1a after that.

I have a 223AI, and I like it, but I could live without it.

AI Pros:
WAY less case trimming
A little more velocity
Looks cool
Keeps you bolt gun brass separate from you AR

Cons:
Having to fire form brass, and keep track of fire form loads, having brass that don't completely fire form, and by the time you get a large stash of good fire formed brass, you are well into the usable life of the barrel. Its not like you are just wasting ammo on the fire form loads, but its another thing to keep track of.

That said, I would most likely do it agian

Ive used a stock bushmaster .223 to hunt deer on a few seperate occasions with great success in Illinois. that was mainly with factory 55 grain hollow points. thats at fairly close,open ranges in corn fields though.