• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Rem 700 SPS upgrades and Barrel replacement

minn_wild1

Pirate
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I bought a used Rem 700 SPS in .223 Rem. Unfortunately it has a 12 twist barrel. Put it in a KRG bravo chassis and added a KRG SV bolt handle. KRG branded 10 round AICS mags. I tried several bullets in the 52 - 62 grain range with 4 different powders including Varget, 8208, BLc2 and H335. Using Lapua brass and BR4 primers. Didn't get very good data or groupings from anything. It seems .223 barrels are tough to come by right now... I found this https://www.bulletcentral.com/produ...-cal-b11-medium-palma-7-75-twist-31-blank-5r/ and think it is placed in the wrong category. They have it listed as a .22 blank. I called Bullet Central and the guy seemed to think I was right. Any input on whether this barrel is the correct one for use with .223 Rem? I went ahead and ordered it. My intention is to use it as a trainer on our 600 yard range. Will chamber in .223 Wylde. I hope to use 68 gr BTHP's as I have a bunch and a good load worked up for an AR using them. Do any of the polymer mags feed well in .223 bolt guns? Would truing the action be worthwhile? I am just hoping for sub MOA at this point. Wasted a bunch of bullets and powder trying to make it work. Time to move on.

You’re gonna hear the following:

Tricking out a 700 is not worth the money. A Bighorn Origin and pre-fit barrel will get you miles ahead then what you have, by the time you get a Smith to true the action and install the barrel.

Reactions: Maciej
I bought a used Rem 700 SPS in .223 Rem. Unfortunately it has a 12 twist barrel. Put it in a KRG bravo chassis and added a KRG SV bolt handle. KRG branded 10 round AICS mags. I tried several bullets in the 52 - 62 grain range with 4 different powders including Varget, 8208, BLc2 and H335. Using Lapua brass and BR4 primers. Didn't get very good data or groupings from anything. It seems .223 barrels are tough to come by right now... I found this https://www.bulletcentral.com/produ...-cal-b11-medium-palma-7-75-twist-31-blank-5r/ and think it is placed in the wrong category. They have it listed as a .22 blank. I called Bullet Central and the guy seemed to think I was right. Any input on whether this barrel is the correct one for use with .223 Rem? I went ahead and ordered it. My intention is to use it as a trainer on our 600 yard range. Will chamber in .223 Wylde. I hope to use 68 gr BTHP's as I have a bunch and a good load worked up for an AR using them. Do any of the polymer mags feed well in .223 bolt guns? Would truing the action be worthwhile? I am just hoping for sub MOA at this point. Wasted a bunch of bullets and powder trying to make it work. Time to move on.
I'm confused about your caliber question because it is a 22 cal barrel. The Origin is a great starting point but if you already have the gun and ordered the barrel might as well roll with it. With a 223 most people don't seem to be burning up barrels so a quick change isn't as big of a selling point as it is in a faster chambering.

Reactions: TurdFerguson
I'm confused about your caliber question because it is a 22 cal barrel. The Origin is a great starting point but if you already have the gun and ordered the barrel might as well roll with it. With a 223 most people don't seem to be burning up barrels so a quick change isn't as big of a selling point as it is in a faster chambering.
There is a tab for .224 (5.56) barrels and one for .22 barrels. I would assume that the .22 barrels would be for rimfire. The tab for .224(5.56) barrels had no in stock barrels. I clicked on the .22 tab and I found the barrel in the link I provided. I wasn't 100% sure that it was not a rimfire barrel, so i called Bullet Central and spoke with a guy there. He wasn't 100% sure either, so i made an assumption that being a 7.75 twist that it is not a rimfire barrel. I hope I am right, but can't find any info on Bartleins website to help me ensure it.

Last edited:
I see that now. I feel like that's just bad descriptions. With no bore/groove dimensions it's hard to imagine those specs as anything for a 22lr.

Reactions: minn_wild1
I just clicked on the .224 and there are two barrels in there, a 7.5 and 8 twist, but out of stock. Looks like the .22 page has a few .224 barrels in it also. Looks like a screw up on their part. I doubt there are 7.5 twist .22RF barrels as I don't think Bartlein makes that fast of a twist in rimfire. Give Bartlein a call on Monday to check.

ETA: To answer your questions, MDT polymer .223 mags work great in my rifle. They allow loading out to 2.550" and feed great. 7.5 will work fine with 68 and heavier. I have a 7 twist and use 75 ELDs and have shot them to 1150 yards.

As to truing, well up to you. Who is doing the work? It's going to be a cost but if you don't mind paying then might as well and i would say also have them pin the recoil lug so down the road if you did want to do a Remage it would be easier for you.

I just clicked on the .224 and there are two barrels in there, a 7.5 and 8 twist, but out of stock. Looks like the .22 page has a few .224 barrels in it also. Looks like a screw up on their part. I doubt there are 7.5 twist .22RF barrels as I don't think Bartlein makes that fast of a twist in rimfire. Give Bartlein a call on Monday to check.

ETA: To answer your questions, MDT polymer .223 mags work great in my rifle. They allow loading out to 2.550" and feed great. 7.5 will work fine with 68 and heavier. I have a 7 twist and use 75 ELDs and have shot them to 1150 yards.

As to truing, well up to you. Who is doing the work? It's going to be a cost but if you don't mind paying then might as well and i would say also have them pin the recoil lug so down the road if you did want to do a Remage it would be easier for you.
Thank you. I figure I'll wait and see on the barrel. It should be here in a few days. I will start looking for someone to do the work in the meantime. Pinning the recoil lug makes a lot of sense for me and this rifle.

You’re gonna hear the following:

Tricking out a 700 is not worth the money. A Bighorn Origin and pre-fit barrel will get you miles ahead then what you have, by the time you get a Smith to true the action and install the barrel.
Not from this smith.

How do you figure? He already owns the receiver- it's not like he's buying a factory M700 outright planning to have work done to it.
No reason to spend a grand to replace what may be a perfectly fine action. The smith can determine whether the receiver needs anything further than simply facing the receiver ring when he has it in his hands. SIngle-pointing threads usually isn't necessary nor worth the cost for what little accuracy may- or may not-be gained. The OP is far better off putting that money towards a top-tier barrel and a good smith cutting the chamber rather than a new action with a prefit.

JMO.

Bugholes has almost any barrel you want in .223. And in stock. I’ve ordered two from them in the past.

MDT and Magpul polymer magazines feed fine, my AI magazines are strictly range mags, I do prefer Accurate and MDT metal magazines though. I had mine trued when I had it re-barreled and I’d do it again, just for the piece of mind. I get sub MOA groups from most of my hand loads, with minimal load development and frequently stretch my 77 and 80gr. loads out to 800 yards.

16” Bartlein with Wylde chamber. Absolutely one of my favorite rifles, even if it is a Remington.
dUywwBu.jpg

yIK8y7h.jpg

Not from this smith.

How do you figure? He already owns the receiver- it's not like he's buying a factory M700 outright planning to have work done to it.
No reason to spend a grand to replace what may be a perfectly fine action. The smith can determine whether the receiver needs anything further than simply facing the receiver ring when he has it in his hands. SIngle-pointing threads usually isn't necessary nor worth the cost for what little accuracy may- or may not-be gained. The OP is far better off putting that money towards a top-tier barrel and a good smith cutting the chamber rather than a new action with a prefit.

JMO.
Agree. If you have the rifle already and have shot out the barrel or desire a change the action is already in hand. So do you sell it and buy a nuke or origin and be $1000 farther into the project? Going by LRI prices
Full tier 1 blueprint $225
Barrel fitting and threading $450
Total $675+ cost of barrel($450 bartlein shipped) $1125

Bighorn Origin $900
Proof Prefit $650
Total $1550

Now I wouldn't buy a r700 planning to swap it, but I do have a 700 that I plan too rebuild. When I do my 338 lap it will be a ground up on a tenacity action.

The barrel came in today. I don't see any 7,75 twist barrels listed on their website. Perhaps this was custom made for someone??

Attachments

• barrel 2.JPG
    barrel 2.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 66
  • barrel 1.JPG
    barrel 1.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 73
Finally got this done. Smith charged me $240 to true up the action and bolt as well as spin up the barrel and thread it for me. Cut it to 20.5 inches. I helped, so he gave me a deal. Shot some factory Norma tactical 55 grain through it to break it in. Shot some 68 bthp's with Varget from 23.7 to 25.5 and got velocities from 2780 to 3030. Velocity seemed to stabilize right over 25.0 grains. I should get somewhere just over 3000 FPS and be happy. Cleaned it and ran a borescope through it to take a look.

Reactions: ma smith