• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Rem BH 68gr Match and 69gr SMK differences?

pell1203

Stay Focused!
Minuteman
  • Dec 27, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Very little info on Black Hills web site on differences... search has not been very helpful.

Background... Myself and two buddies are getting new .223 Rem rifles and want to have some ammo when they get here and were wondering which all around load to try out first. Rifles are 16" and 20" 1:8 twist barrels and will be shot at mostly 100-200 yards, but will also be stretched out to 600 yards. We expect about 25% of our shooting will be at 600 yards once initial break-in and sighting has occurred.

Hoping to get some answers/insight on the following:

1. Who makes the bullets used in the Black Hills 68gr Match load?

2. Is the 68gr bullet also a BT design like the 69gr SMK load?

3. Is one load preferable over the other? Which one? Why?

4. Will the 68/69gr stabilize out to 600yd in a 1:8 barrel? Should we move up to the 75/77gr bullet instead?

Thanks,

Re: .223 Rem BH 68gr Match and 69gr SMK differences?

4. Will the 68/69gr stabilize out to 600yd in a 1:8 barrel? Should we move up to the 75/77gr bullet instead?

no problem with stabilization.

The 68 gr bullets are Hornady Match.

Yes they are HPBT.

Not really, both shoot very good even though the design of ogive on the bullets are different. ie. tangent ogive vs secant ogive. YMMV as to which is best. I use the Hornady the most as it was the first one I tried and I bought the bullets in bulk (bullets only as I reload). I have shot the SMK 69 too, and it really is a matter of which will be cheaper to me. I use the exact same load with the bullet being the only change

Yes they will, as long as the laws of physics are not suspended the day you shoot. Had this happen to me a few times. You can tell by the group size. Usually the day appears much like any other, but you will know. Another way I can tell is I usually will cuss a lot more too. Beware.....

How do they compare to Lapua 69 gr Scenar in your opinion? I shoot 69 gr Lapua Scenar with good results in my .223 Rem LTR

Here's a clip of a fast 6 shots @ 300 meter (45 sec time limit) I shot last weekend in a training competition with 69 gr Scenar, dont think the flyer was anyoneelse than my fault..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICbAraTrFIg&feature=related

Thanks to all for posting. Got the info I was looking for... and more.

Appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.