• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Rem Load?

bbyars

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2018
Waco/Tyler , TX
I have a Bolt gun and a Ar-15 with essentially the same barrel. Both are 20'' CBI 1:8T. Having a hard time finding a load that works well in both. I know thats alot to ask but I am mainly just looking for MOA accuracy.

I have tried 69gr SMK, 73 ELDM, 75 HPBT, 77 SMK and Varget, XBR 8208, and RL 15.
Brass that i have been using is Lake City.
I also have Winchester Small rifle and GMM 205M.

Have been trying to keep COAL to mag length of AR15 platform.

My loads so far:

73gr ELDM
23gr XBR8208
205M

69gr SMK
26gr RL15
WSRP

69gr SMK
26gr Varget
205M/WSRP

77gr SMK
24gr RL15
WSRP

77gr SMK
24gr Varget
205M/WSRP

75gr BTHP
24gr Varget
WSRP

Most of the loads are aproaching the max or are over max load so if you choose to copy be advised that these are high pressure.(Most are compressed)
Does anybody have any loads in that have worked well?

The simple answer to me would be... get one that shoots excellent in he boot gun, then feed the AR that. No matter what you are dealing with the harmonic being different. I doubt you would find a load that would shoot the same in both guns.

The simple answer to me would be... get one that shoots excellent in he boot gun, then feed the AR that. No matter what you are dealing with the harmonic being different. I doubt you would find a load that would shoot the same in both guns.
Most of those loads shoot like .5" groups out of the bolt gun. I flip around and shoot them in the gas gun and its like 1.5" groups.

I load Remington 7.5 primers any brass 25 grains benchmark 55 vmax at 2.250” and it shoots great out of all my 223 rifles. Also lc brass cci 450 25.6 grains xtermimator 50 grain vmax at 2.250” shoots well also.

Most of those loads shoot like .5" groups out of the bolt gun. I flip around and shoot them in the gas gun and its like 1.5" groups.

Yea, that's exactly my point. The harmonics of the barrels are way different. It's very doubtful that you will find a load that will shoot the exact same in them both. Gold medal match probably shoots 1 inch or less in both, but it also doesnt have the long range performance as your handloads. Tradeoffs either way. But it seems as though you might have to work up a load for each gun to make an optimum load for each.

I would not shoot a hot bolt gun load out of a AR15. It's pretty easy to exceed the 55k PSI maximum SAAMI pressure in a bolt gun; the same load will reduce the service life of a AR15 bolt.

Could there be other reasons for the difference in accuracy? Recoil pulse, lock time, user proficiency? Curious, as I've had very similar issues with a larger caliber. Final solution was to craft different loads for different weapons. Interesting, factory loads shot similar, but to get the maximum performance out of each system, different loads were necessary.

All loads you listed are solid National Match M16 loads and should group under a minute in a self-loader.

What are the details of your AR and shooting technique?

All loads you listed are solid National Match M16 loads and should group under a minute in a self-loader.

That 8308 XBR load is quite reasonable.
Certainly AR friendly.
It try that with 75/77 instead 23-34 grains is a extremely common accuracy load.

I have not had much luck with the 73’s.

Starline Brass, 52gr SMK 2.260" OAL, 26.0gr Varget, CCI-400/CCI BR-4 primer. 55 V-Max/55 SGK/55 Gold Dot would be a substitute.

Starline Brass, 75gr HPBT-M 2.260" OAL, 23.5-23.7gr Varget, CCI-400/CCI BR-4 Primer. 77 SMK would be a substitute. This load is used interchangeably with Stag Model 6 Super Varminter 24", and Savage 11VT .223 24" in 600yd F T/R comp.

Starline Brass, 62gr Speer Gold Dot 2.260" OAL, 25.0gr Varget, CCI-400/CCI BR-4 Primer. This load is a near equivalent to the Federal Fusion MSR 223 load.

Greg

Could there be other reasons for the difference in accuracy? Recoil pulse, lock time, user proficiency? Curious, as I've had very similar issues with a larger caliber. Final solution was to craft different loads for different weapons. Interesting, factory loads shot similar, but to get the maximum performance out of each system, different loads were necessary.
You takin about .308? ive got a gas gun and bolt too in .308...Both shoot .75'' with same load.

Bench top shooting off of bags.
Both suppressed.
Gas Gun:
BLA Reciever set
Geiselle MK 18 rail 16"
20'' CBI 1:8T---(Probably the only variable in the set up. Bought on here and guy said it had like 300 rounds on it. Patched with Boretech and started shooting.)
Superlative gb
da muzzle device
da suppressor
geiselle ssae
carbine reciever extension
Sprinco blue spring
ST-T2 buffer

That 8308 XBR load is quite reasonable.
Certainly AR friendly.
It try that with 75/77 instead 23-34 grains is a extremely common accuracy load.

I have not had much luck with the 73’s.
I just started using xbr, ill try it with some 77s next.

Bench top shooting off of bags.

20'' CBI 1:8T---(Probably the only variable in the set up. Bought on here and guy said it had like 300 rounds on it. Patched with Boretech and started shooting.)
Are you using a rear bag?

By any chance did you borescope the barrel? What does the crown look like?

Most times I've seen a suppressor helps with precision by damping barrel whip.

24 grains of Varget with a Hornady 75 grain hpbt or a75 grain Berger VLD works well in m700 LTR.

Or, 23.3 grains of XBR8208 works good too.

I just started reloading last summer so I'm pretty ignorant and not a very good shot but I found that AR Comp works well for both my .223 AR and the .223 bolt gun I just put together a couple months ago with a Savage action. It seemed more accurate than Varget and N140. These are 5 shot groups at 100 yards with my bolt gun last week when fire forming new Lapua brass with AR Comp and Berger 77 OTM.