• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Rem match chamber?

Can you be more specific on the chamber? .223 rem has been around a long time, and there are dozens of variations. “Match” doesn’t mean anything really. If you’re able, get the print for the chamber you’re interested in, and compare the neck diameter with a test round.

I am looking to get a Criterion remage barrel in .223 match chambering. I know the PT&G reamer for .223 match neck is .251". I just wanted to know if any neck turning is required. Has anyone tried this barrel/ chambering?

Mike

The term "match" has been slung around like "extreme" and "military grade". It means little, other than maybe the dimensions are a tad tighter than normal. It's a marketing term really.

Personally, I'd consider a Wylde. Look into it if you are unfamiliar!

Reactions: Lunchbox27
I have the criterion reamer prints but I’m on my phone so... can’t post them right now.

That chamber doesn’t need neck turning. It’s got .090 of freebore, the Wilde has .062.
The rest of the chamber is something like .001 tighter than the wylde.

It’s nothing special and for 70+ grain bullets might not be a bad idea but the wylde certainly works well too.

With a factory chambered barrel I seriously doubt if you'll gain any accuracy by neck turning. In fact if you have prepped your barss and trimmed it to a consistant length your most likely better off contine doing what is working for you. Neck turning your brass will likely result in overworking your brass due to to much neck clearance. I've seen several factory Savage model 12 that would rconsistantly shoot sub 0.4 moa with good reloads. In fact I prefer my custom barrels to chambered with no turn necks for .223 based cartridges that will be used for high volume shooting.

Right now with Fed match brass and 69smk I am at .247" neck dia. PT&G reamer for match .223 rem is .251" neck. I think it will be good. I am looking at Criterion remage barrel. Hopefully they use the PT&G reamer.

Mike

This is their match print

12F5C85B-E0E0-4D1F-8BD4-66B3B7F8A4AA.png

Thanks for the print. Looks like a .254" neck dia. No neck turning for me.

Mike

Hm. Don't use Lapua then.

0.254" neck, with a loaded round diameter of 0.2495-0.250" IS CLOSE ENOUGH to cause issues if you don't keep your chamber clean.

It won't shoot any better either.

Stick to thinner brass like Lake City, and you'll be great.

Oh yeah.

And drop the Federal Brass. Crap-o-la.

It’s all about the same. Some guys complained about 2009...I went High Master and P100 with it, so...

Either way, I will tell you it can shoot 1/4 minute right put of the bag with nothing more than a swipe over a mandrel.

More prep may be advised, but it was certainly proof of concept.