• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Rem reloading advice

Sev308

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
Canada
Hello,

I'm looking to get some advice on making my groups tighter for my 223 reloads.

I'm fairly new to reloading and recently tested out some loads using BL-C(2). I loaded 55 rounds starting from the starting load in my reloading book and working my way up to the highest load. I started off with 25.5 grains and went up to 27.5 grains by incrementing the powder load by 0.2 grains. So 25.5, 25.7, 25.9, ... , 27.3, 27.5 grains. I loaded 5 rounds of each, and was hoping to find the node and the best group I can. Unfortunately, pretty much all my groups were around or slightly under an inch at 100 yards. There wasn't any noticeable difference. I know that the rifle is capable of way better groups. I was not able to find any satisfying results and came here to ask on what I should do and test next.

I asked a few friends of mine, and some suggested to try out match bullets like a 68 grain Hornady, some suggested to play around with the OAL, and others to use different powders. The other powder that I currently have but have not tried yet is the CFE-223.

I have a feeling that the ball powder form of BL-C(2) might be temperature sensitive to the cold and might be giving me some inaccurate results. However i'm not certain. I live in Canada, and while testing my rounds, the temperature was around -10C (14 F). Would this be an issue for the powder?

I also don't have a chronograph to check any velocities (yet).

Here is my rifle information:
  • Savage 10T-SR
  • .223 Rem
  • 24" Barrel
  • 1:9 twist
Reloading info:
  • Powder: BL-C(2)
  • Bullet: 55gr. Cam-pro FMJ SBT
  • Primer: CCI No. 400 Small Rifle
  • Brass: Remington
  • C.O.A.L: 57.40mm (2.259 inch) (I took this length from the bullet manufacturer. The bullet is seated right in the middle of the cannelure.)

What should my next step be to squeeze out a bit more accuracy? Also, I was planning on trying the same method for my .308 win.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would try an extruded powder and a different bullet. Cfe223 is very similar to blc2 possibly a modernized blc2 but its not as temp stable as some of Hodgdons extreme powders . I have several savage 1:9 barrels they all like the 55 60 & 69 grain bullets. FMJ's are not normally the most accurate bullet but I havent used the brand you mentioned. If your getting 5 shot groups under an inch with blc2 and fmj's thats pretty good imo but your savage should shoot better with a quality varmint bullet or 69 sierra matchking. A Chrono is nice but for years I didnt have one, its another tool in the tool box.

I would try an extruded powder and a different bullet. Cfe223 is very similar to blc2 possibly a modernized blc2 but its not as temp stable as some of Hodgdons extreme powders . I have several savage 1:9 barrels they all like the 55 60 & 69 grain bullets. FMJ's are not normally the most accurate bullet but I havent used the brand you mentioned. If your getting 5 shot groups under an inch with blc2 and fmj's thats pretty good imo but your savage should shoot better with a quality varmint bullet or 69 sierra matchking. A Chrono is nice but for years I didnt have one, its another tool in the tool box.

Thanks for the advice! I will try and get some extruded powder on my next trip and get some better quality bullets. Is there any specific powder you would suggest? I'll also try our some different bullets and see if that gives me better results.
Thanks again!

If you still have the factory barrel, you might be looking at about the best its going to do already.

My son had a Savage 9 twist 223 as well, cheap version, and it shot very well with 60 grain Vmaxes. I believe that I was using Varget but its been a few years. .5-.75 MOA groups. You may be able to get smaller groups simply by changing bullets, and likely you can seat them closer to the lands as they're probably jumping quite a ways with your current cartridge overall length. Hopefully you are NOT crimping the cases into the cannelure.

Lots of powders work and meter well... Winchester 748, CFE 223, varget, VVN-133 , H-335 to name a few.

If you were getting 1moa out of 55gn FMJ's consider yourself very fortunate.

BL(C)-2 is a little slow for 55gn bullets, but it works. You literally can't fit enough of it into the case to blow up the gun.

If it were me, I would use powders that are a step faster like H322, Benchmark or AA2200, AA2230, Ramshot Xterminator.

What distance are you intending to shoot? It will make a difference in bullet selection. 52gr Sierra Matchking, or 69gr Matchking for >300yds. If you are limited to 300yds then the 53gr SMK is a flat based bullet that is great for sub 300yd accuracy. As noted there are other manufacturers equivalents. As for a varmint bullet I highly recommend the Nosler 60gr Ballistic Tip.

As for powder, I would look at Benchmark or IMR 8208xbr when available.

Since you’re in the frozen tundra, I would also recommend you look at developing your loads with Magnum primers. CCI 450, CCI 41, Rem 7-1/2. I would do that regardless of the powder chosen.

Here’s a warning. The spherical (ball) powders mentioned above ARE temperature sensitive. If you’re developing loads at 14F, at 80 F they may be hot. Best advice is don’t go above the book maximum.

Don’t sweat the chronograph. It sounds like you are trying the load development method called OCW. Look up optimal charge weight and Dan Newberry. As for advice, be careful of getting too much advice. You can end up trying too many things at once.

Missed that you were using FMJs. 1 MOA is better than any FMJ bullet I have tried. I am a big fan of the 50, 53, and 55 V Max bullets. 26.4 of Varget will shoot any 55g in any 223 I have tried.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
You aren't going to get a fmj to shoot better than that. Get some 69 grain match kings. Your powder is fine. Nothing inherently wrong with spherical powder accuracy wise.

I agree with the others. You won't get a FMJ to shoot really great. Try any one of the plastic tip varmint bullets from Hornady, Nosler or Sierra. Maybe even some of their soft points. Of course, the Sierra Match Kings should shoot much better than those FMJ's.

As noted, 1 moa from a FMJ isn’t bad. Get some 69 SMK’s or another match bullet if your looking to shoot small groups.

My Savage model 12 FV has shot the 55 Gr FMJ’s very well, but Once i learned to use the CBTO method my groups really tighten up.

I just went through some load development with a savage .223 1/9 twist. I conduct an OCW test first and then go to seating depth. You will be surprised how the groups will change in relation to BTO adjustments. Here is a pic, 50g vmax on top target, 69 SMK on bottom.
IMG_5316.jpeg