• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.223 Rem with a 1:8 Twist 18" Barrel?

Will_Power

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2012
An Okie in Orygun
Guys,

I'm dipping my toe into handloading and precision shooting for the first time and could use some advice for my first set of component purchases.

This is for an AR-15 with this 18" 1:8 twist 410 stainless barrel from BCM.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bullets</span>

Given the 1:8 twist rate, would I be better served by going 68/69 grain or 75/77 grain?
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Hornady Match 68gr - BC: .355[*]Nosler Custom Competition 69gr - BC: .305[*]Sierra Matchking69gr - .305[/list]<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Hornady Match75gr - BC: .395[*]Nosler Custom Competition 77gr - BC: .340[*]Sierra Matchking77gr - BC: .362[/list]
<span style="font-weight: bold">Powders</span>

I'm totally in the dark here. Totally.

Supposedly I should go with a slower burning powder for the "heavier" bullets....?

I've seen plenty of powders listed, but the frequent ones are:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]H-4895 [*]Reloader 15 (Reloader runs really dirty?)[*]Varget (plenty of people love it, plenty hate it?)[*]IMR 4064 (grains are too big to <span style="font-style: italic">easily</span> load into the .223 case?)[/list]
Really clueless on this.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Re: .223 Rem with a 1:8 Twist 18" Barrel?

I'm running a White Oak 18" 1/8" barrel and it loves Hornady 75gr BTHP being pushed with 24gr of Varget

Don't make the mistake and get the 75gr A-Max bullets though for the AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WillPower</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

I'm dipping my toe into handloading and precision shooting for the first time and could use some advice for my first set of component purchases.

This is for an AR-15 with this 18" 1:8 twist 410 stainless barrel from BCM.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bullets</span>

Given the 1:8 twist rate, would I be better served by going 68/69 grain or 75/77 grain?
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Hornady Match 68gr - BC: .355[*]Nosler Custom Competition 69gr - BC: .305[*]Sierra Matchking69gr - .305[/list]<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Hornady Match75gr - BC: .395[*]Nosler Custom Competition 77gr - BC: .340[*]Sierra Matchking77gr - BC: .362[/list]
<span style="font-weight: bold">Powders</span>

I'm totally in the dark here. Totally.

Supposedly I should go with a slower burning powder for the "heavier" bullets....?

I've seen plenty of powders listed, but the frequent ones are:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]H-4895 [*]Reloader 15 (Reloader runs really dirty?)[*]Varget (plenty of people love it, plenty hate it?)[*]IMR 4064 (grains are too big to <span style="font-style: italic">easily</span> load into the .223 case?)[/list]
Really clueless on this.

Appreciate your thoughts!
</div></div>

You just have to dig your heels in and load some stuff up and shoot it, to see what works best.

You've got a good bullet selection, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'd add IMR 4895 for the heavies. Don't worry about 'dirty' powders, as you'll be cleaning your rifle anyhow.

Just load some stuff up to mag length-- ~2.255" and see what you see.

If you want to load some ammo longer than mag length, single feed those to see if you get improvements.

Your weapon/barrel will tell you what works and what doesn't.

You gotta put in the leg work, yourself. We can't do that for you.

Chris

Give IMR 8208xbr a try as well. Any of those bullets will work, just let your barrel decide.

24.0-24.5gr Varget with a 75gr HPBT @ 2.255"...works great & lasts long time. You'll probably give up a little velocity, but that's a "proven" accuracy load in lots of rifles.

Other powders worth using: RL15, 8208XBR, Ramshot TAC.

I've got a 18" 1:8 BHW barrel on my AR and it shoots Hornady 75gr Steel Match factory ammo very well @ 2600fps; might be worth trying as a "baseline" for you.

How about a 1:8" 24" barrel AR (Stag 6 Super Varminter). I am setting up to do load testing with Varget and 69SMK/HDY 75 BTHP.

Thinking something around 24.0 gr. Can anyone clue me in more specific?

Greg

Greg,

24.0gr Varget with a 75gr HPBT at AR mag length has shot sub-MOA for me in two different ARs and two different Savage barrels, with lengths between 18 and 26 inches and 1:8 and 1:9 twists.

I'd think 24.0gr would have your 24" gas gun in the ballpark of 2750-2780fps.

Probably be just fine to start at 24.0gr with stops at 24.2gr and 24.4gr to see if velocities and accuracy are suitable...

I use varget for my bolt gun but for the AR, using progressive press with powder drop, the Varget just doesn't meter very well. I have been using H335 in the AR with the 68 match hornady for quite a while.

I use it both in my 1/7 16" upper and my 1/9 16" upper. Both with excellent results. As a bonus it meters awesome and I am usually dead on with my powder drop (hornady)!

Current load is LC brass, Win primers, 2.005 CL, 2.25 COAL, Hornady Match 68gr, with 23.5gr of H335. Avg. velocity is about 2700.

LD

Roger that, much thanks, B-UP.

Greg

I am using Benchmark in my 18" .223 AI, with 65 gr sierra GK. 8 twist brux, very nice groups, not supposed to be a go to powder with the heavier bullets, but shot much better than others I tried. Its a short grain powder, and meters very well.