• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Remington Load - H4831SC??!?!

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    Anyone know if 20Gr of H4831SC will work with 52 SMK or A-Max bullets in 223 Remington?

(Hodgdon H4831SC.....)

Is this a functional load? ...a dangerous load... anyone know?

Re: 223 Remington Load - H4831SC??!?!

Maryland,

From what I know, H4831SC has the same burn rate as regular H4831, the SC stands for short cut, which helps in metering.

If you look at a burn rate chart, you will see that H4831 is relatively a slow burning powder.
    http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

I shoot H4895 or Varget in my 223 loads. The last load I made up with the 52 SMK was 27 grains of Varget with a <span style="font-weight: bold">Moly</span> coated 52 gn SMK, pushing it around 3180 fps (out of a Bushmaster V-Match). That is on the hot end so back it down if you are going to try it. Also take off 1 gn due if you are using non-moly bullets.

So my conclusion is that 20gn of H4831SC in a Rem 223 would be a safe, underpowered load.

From what I know, H4831SC has traditionally been used for heavier bullets in the larger magnum cases.

4831 is to slow. 4198 would be a betteer choice.

Thanks. I screwed up and used an older reference chart to make 100 rounds.

I'm trying to determine if the bullet pulled is coming out..

Bring out the bullet puller. Velocities will be disappointing, and if you're using a gas gun, the pressure curve will not be compatible with expected port pressures.

OTOH, it might be marginally useful in a bolt gun with a fast twist, long barrel, and bullets at the heavy end of the spectrum. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Greg

A look at the load data and it was fora bolt gun.

So... I took out pulled..