• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Remington with Dillion 550

One_Feather

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2006
South Dakota
www.onefeather.org
OK my question is I'm going to use all 4 stations.

Presized by redding small base body die on single stage press.

Dillion 550
Station 1 for Redding Neck Sizer with expander ball/Prime.
Station 2 for Powder Drop.
Station 3 for Redding Comp Seater
Station 4 for Lee Factory Crimp or Dillion Crimp.

What die would be the most benifical, the Lee Factory or the Regular Dillion Crimp?

Re: 223 Remington with Dillion 550

If you must run a crimp, most people will say the Lee FCD is one of the best crimp die there is. I do not crimp. .003-.004 neck tension is good enough for me, never had a problem, even in full-auto.

On my Dillon, I only run 2 dies (drop and seating). I full length resize in a totally different step since I trim and clean the lube off before priming, and dropping the powder into the case.

I pretty much run the same way Bacarrat does.

Station 1 - prime
Station 2 - powder charge
Station 3 - bullet seater
Never needed to crimp .223

All brass sizing is done before hand on a Rockchuker.

ET

Yea, dont worry about crimpin.

I do all my .223 chores on my 550 using Dillon dies. I only differentiate for the rounds I choose to hand weigh.

Is there a difference in function between the two crimp dies? The Dillon people have told me there isn't and they aren't too happy about it, if you get my drift.

I just get the initial weight down and then just let the Dillon do the work. I might check the thrower every 50-100 rounds, but for the most part I do not weigh every charge on the Dillon. It goes without saying that stick powders will be harder to get a consistent charge. Ball powders like H335, Tac, BLC-2, A2230, ect will all meter well in the Dillon.

Curious,

Just be careful and watch the powder charges if you're using stick powder. The sticks can get hung up and then dump too much in the next case, or dump out after you've pulled the case back down. I visually inspect each case by looking down it after it comes down from the charge die. Some folks use a powder check die in a station before the seating die.

Do a google search on polishing the dillon powder funnel and you should be able to get the info on getting stick powder to flow easier.

I've shot msany "cleans" at 300 yards in highpower competition using rounds loaded on a dillon 550. It will be plenty accurate.

For 600 yards and out, I start weighing charges and single load then.

If you go to the Dillon website, they have an article in their publication "Blue Press" that gives the loading procedures that a rifle team, I think in Arizona, uses to load their .223 match ammo using the 550. If it won't Google, then just call them. They will set you up with the article and webpage.

I use hornady dies. They stick a lot of cases, avoid them.

I load all of mine progressive unless I have reason to believe that the cases need to be trimmed. I use a Lee FCD.

I don't crimp my bolt gun ammo, but I see no reason not to crimp my non-match AR ammo, so I do crimp it lightly.

I wouldn't bother with stick powder in the Dillon powder measure. Varget was a disaster in mine.

I shoot ball powder in my blasting ammo, and stick powder in everything that matters.

I load all my 223, including 600 yard match ammo on my 550. All the charges are thrown.
I clean all the cases, then use spray hornady 1 shot lube.
size
prime
charge
seat
next..
Only time I don't do this is when the cases need to be trimmed.
My match ammo is loaded with RE-15. If I lose a shot to vertical..it was my fault.

I recall an article in Accurate Rifle or similar publication. The author tested his match hand load which was a consistent .4 performed against the same load prepared on a Dillon 550. If I recall correctly, he gave up only about a .15 on his agg using the progressive.

I just started loading for my AR, and plan to set up my Dillon for the .223 as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Curious_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What bullet weight do you suggest. I was thinking of the 77g SMK with Cannular. </div></div>

Depends on what you are going to use the rounds for.

If you're just plinking or blasting, I'd go 55 or 69 gr. If your competing past 300 yards, and want to stay at magazine length, I'd go with the 77. I personally wouldn't spend the money on the 77s if you're not going out to and beyond 300.

ET

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recall an article in Accurate Rifle or similar publication. The author tested his match hand load which was a consistent .4 performed against the same load prepared on a Dillon 550. If I recall correctly, he gave up only about a .15 on his agg using the progressive.

I just started loading for my AR, and plan to set up my Dillon for the .223 as well. </div></div>

That would have been John Feamster. He also wrote the book: <span style="font-style: italic">Black Magic: The Ultra Accurate AR-15</span>. The comparrison was documented in the book also, IIRC.

You are using the same setup I have for years. IT WORKS GREAT!
I load only 55 grn FMJ w/c b/t bullets and the Lee crimp die is the best. NO issues at all in my M-4.
FWIW: I use H-335 powder because it meters so well.
Respectfully,
LG

Set your Dillon measure after confirming your powder weight on a scale that has been setup with a Check Weight Set. The Dillon measure is Very Consistent. If you are anywhere near a max load, use the Check Weight Set. The RCBS deluxe set will likely enable you to zero your scale for the Exact weight you want to throw.

I use Redding FL Type S die with neck bushing. No need to crimp

Get a Dillon 600 if you will be using surplus cases. Surplus cases are the way to go.

I load my 223s by FL sizing with a dillon rapid trim in station 1. Then use a lyman m-die in station 3. It smooths out the inside bur and puts a slight flair on the case. I have several thousand 55 flat based bullets I bought a long time ago. Then I run them all thru again with another head and prime, seat the bullet and use a Lee factory crimp die to remove the flair. It also removes or flattens out any burr on the outside. Some of my 223 ammo actually shoots better with a very light factory crimp. It has never hurt accurcy when done lightly but other then to remove the flair is not really needed.

I only use my Lee crimp for a light crimp on my 62 grn cannelure rounds. Works like a charm in my Dillon 450 w/upgrades. I did change one of my PM's to the Hornady w/case activated drop, love it!!

A couple of suggestions:

1. Use a type S small base bushing die on the single stage press. You can run it without the bushing so it will work the same as the body die. However, since it has a decaping stem you will be able to clean the primer pockets.

2. Don't use a Redding seater die with 77 grain bullets as they sometimes can for a compressed load. This will result in a broken seater stem. I would recommend a Forster seater. FWIW, the Forester quality is on par with Redding, but does not have the outside finish Redding does.

3. Don't crimp.