• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.223 Resize

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I just started Reloading maybe 2 months ago and heard different people say so many different things, I guess what works best in YOUR rifle. Im sure you have heard this question time and time before but here it goes again. I mainly reload for .223 Rem for a AR-15, 6.5 Grendel for a AR, .300 Win. Mag. Custom built now should I FL resize or just neck size? I heard if you just neck size and your only shooting your rifle you get better accuracy cuz when you dont FL the brass is "fitted" to your chamber. I havnt tried it yet but i have been FL sizing and have been getting alot better accuracy as i ever did in factory loads.
The best load i got so far for my .223 setup was:(FL Sized)

Remington Premier match brass
CCI BR-4 primers
62gr Rem. HP match bullets
24grs Hodgdon Benchmark
OAL 2.165"

Will shoot .5" 5-shot groups or under consistently @ 100yrds.
Shot a 18-shot group that measured .59"/ one big hole.
I was surprised when that bullet shot that well, it outshoots any other bullet i tried.
So, should i just keep doing what im doing or try neck sizing?
What about the 6.5 Grendel, .300 Win mag?

Re: .223 Resize

Your AR's need FL sizing. As to which method provides better performance for bolt rifles is an individual opinion. If you have a custom chamber, nothing will improve on a custom FL die. For a factory chamber, NS may provide better brass life. You are probably faced with the opportunity with your 300WM to form your own opinion. How curious are you? The Lee collet die may be an economical experiment. Do you have a run-out gauge?

FL sizing is the only way to go for consistent accuracy in competition shooting. If you want to do like the benchresters, buy 500 or 1000 cases, cull them out to about 20 perfect cases, apply tender loving care to them and use them over and over again. Some don't even neck size, they just load and shoot them again.

FL sizing is the only way to ensure consistency in ammo from load to load.

For my AR rifles, I FL size so that the brass easily fits in the chamber. If you don't do this, you could have problems with the bolt completely closing.

For my bolt action rifles, I prefer to only neck size. Not only do you not have to lube the cases when only neck sizing, but you will not work the brass as well.

Hope this helps.

This question always drives me nuts. You get as many experienced reloaders saying neck size only as you do saying FL size only.

Drives me crazy. I just started reloading for 338LM. I bought a set of ($$$) Redding competition dies. It has a neck die and I am planning to start neck sizing for the first time. My main reason was to maximize brass life since the 338LM brass is so costly. While people debate whether or not neck sizing will increase accuracy, they mostly all agree that it will increase brass life.

I don't.

In my experience, the main 2 reasons I throw away a piece of brass are: 1- the primer pocket is too wide to hold the primer. 2- The case mouth is splitting. Neither of these have anything to do with FL sizing. I prefer to have the load to load consistency of FL sized cases.

For the AR, or any other gas gun, you need to FL size. I have had very good luck using an RCBS mic which will give you the option of bumping your brass back just .002-.004 to ensure it functions properly. It will also extend the life of your brass by not over working it. I believe it is a good idea to FL resize a bolt gun also, tends to more accurate.