• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 223 suppressor for SBR

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
So I have a Colt 6920 which I plan on converting to a 10.5" SBR. I realize that you can't use any old suppressor on a SBR, and it sorta seems like a trade off between durability and noise reduction. I was looking at the Thunderbeast 223A. I've read that Ti cans don't hold up as well to wear but they rate this one for full auto 7.5" SBR. How does this can compare to the competition with regards to noise reduction, weight and durability? I sort of like the idea of a can that attaches to a brake as the brake will take some of the wear off your first baffle (or so I've read). This will be my first suppressor, so please excuse the ignorance.

Edit: Accuracy is also an important factor, of course.

Last edited:
If you want something really durable look at the SilencerCo Saker. Full Auto rated down to a 7" barrel. Rock solid mounting system.

How does the 223A compare to the 223P-1?

I am curious about this also, as well as how it compares to other suppressors not rated for short barrels. Is it just an increase in price and weight or do you loose sound suppression as well.

It's very close, maybe a couple dB louder. The aperture has a little more clearance and it's a little bit shorter than the 223P-1.

Do you guys have a spec on this? Very close and a couple dB could be quite different when I consider sound pressure level doubles every 6 dB...

Last edited:
A couple dB is right at the minimum you can tell a difference between by ear. We don't compare the two cans very often because the applications are pretty different, the 223A's live on short SBR's all the time.

A couple dB is right at the minimum you can tell a difference between by ear. We don't compare the two cans very often because the applications are pretty different, the 223A's live on short SBR's all the time.

Maybe I made a mistake, because I bought the 223A for durability and it will spend most of its life on a carbine or SPR.

Hopefully I'll run into someone with a P-1 in the future that I can compare it to or someone will publish a fair comparison.

I can get some more concrete numbers for you the next time we pull the metering stuff out

That would be great. A relative measurement would be fine. I understand that different ammo/guns may produce different results, but I'm now very curious to know. I am looking at buying this can in a few months.

Griffin's M4-SDII. Mounts onto a standard A2 flashhider, and im pretty sure its just fine on an SBR, but a quick call to them would confirm. i use it on an 11.5" and its been nice.

I have a Knights NT4 on my 10.5. Love it. There are some decent sound reduction comparisons of the NT4 to other 5.56 cans on YouTube. They're a little pricey but worth it. Even better, see if you can find one of their QDC cans and a MAMS brake. The TBAC is awesome though too. I'd put the AAC M4-2K and Surefire SOCOM in at número tres...

When I was buying my 5.56 can one of the options was the Allen Engineering AEM4.
Ron said it would clear the FSB on a Colt 10.5".
I wanted quieter so I went with the AE22.
The AE cans have a pretty established lineage of happy customers ;)
Their prices are also pretty fair.

When I was buying my 5.56 can one of the options was the Allen Engineering AEM4.
Ron said it would clear the FSB on a Colt 10.5".
I wanted quieter so I went with the AE22.
The AE cans have a pretty established lineage of happy customers ;)
Their prices are also pretty fair.
How did you come to the conclusion that the AE22 is quieter than the AEM4?

The they are both listed at about 8". The AEM4 uses the mount that essentially has a brake on it, which acts as a preliminary blast baffle that the AE22 doesn't have. I would guess they would be pretty similar, if not the AEM4 being perhaps a bit quieter.

I do admit that I'm very happy with this AEM4 Prototype.

This is my rifle on their website:

aem4bg.jpg

Last edited:
When I spoke to Ron on the phone trying to decide between the AEM5 and the AE22 he suggested that I'd be happiest with the AE22.
My primary qualifiers were sound and accuracy.
He called me back and said that I could also consider the AEM4 which would be slightly(metered) louder and could still go on a 10.5" Colt and clear the FSB.
I am not interested in SBR 5.56 at this point so I thanked him for the option and went with the AE22 as it will be primarily on one AR but at times on a bolt gun that are both threaded 5/8x24.

The issue you should be concerned with is the quality of the upper/barrel (concentric) and how running shorter barrels will accelerate wear on the can.

As you go shorter, the erosion goes up exponentialy. Couple that with poorly threaded barrels and you can a recipe to destroy your Can.

Personaly, I would stick with a 11.5 SBR barrel from a high quality Manufacture (BCM, KAC, ect). This will increase reliability, decrease wear n tear and assure you don't get baffle strikes.