• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Tac Division Build

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    So I’m looking to switch it up for 2024 and run a 223 for tac division coming off running a 6cheatmoor and dasher the last few years. I’m looking for a direct to go with the build, it’ll be either off my “spare” origin or on the current workhorse TL3 in a manners PRS1, but don’t know barrel length or what twist is optional.

I'm running a 24" 7 twist proof comp contour with a TBAC Magnus for my 223 Tac Div rifle this year. Can reach the speed limit without hitting pressure with several powders.

I'm running a 24" 7 twist proof comp contour with a TBAC Magnus for my 223 Tac Div rifle this year. Can reach the speed limit without hitting pressure with several powders.
    I’m going to assume 75ELDM, I’m looking to run them over the lot of varget I’ve got sitting.

His .223 was also flatter than my BRA.
    that was such a good shooting gun. just a little bit of butt hurt it caused at the Finale. too bad the ejection was a pain

24" 7 twist. heavy palma. 75gr JLK at 2980. 24.8gr varget

longer barrel will just give you more free speed. kelly shoots a 26" proof prefit on an origin now and it works great. not quite as easy to load for but still perfectly acceptable with some work. my Tac build was pretty exceptional tbf

im moving to xbr8202 for 223. easier to get and can get the same speed. save the varget for my 7SAW and Dasher

I'm also working on piecing together a .223 PRS build and I'll be following this. I'm planning it for a Origin with a Bartlein (not sure of the contour yet) mounted in a MPA Matrix Pro. A couple questions I'm trying to find answers for...

Is the 75 ELD-M in a Wylde chamber the best bang for the buck in this scenario?

What about the 77 TMK?

Other than the MDT mag, what other magazine options are there?

Reactions: King_beardsly
    A 7 twist 26" barrel is the way to go. If you're planning on using 75 ELDM's a standard 223 wylde chamber works great. The Origin or TL3 will feed well from MDT Polymer 223 mags in my experience.

That would be my exact answer. I would not go longer than .223 Wylde for freebore as with the Wylde and the 75 ELDs you can load to .020" off lands at 2.470". You will not want to load longer and that length is safe in the MDT poly mags with an over all length of 2.550". Poly mags run flawlessly in my Manners stocks.

I run a 26" 7 twist Comp contour PVA barrel on my TL3. Get with @bohem and pick one up and you will be happy.

Varget and 8208 both work great in this combo and a friend also uses VV N135 and I picked some up to try but haven't tried it yet.

That would be my exact answer. I would not go longer than .223 Wylde for freebore as with the Wylde and the 75 ELDs you can load to .020" off lands at 2.470". You will not want to load longer and that length is safe in the MDT poly mags with an over all length of 2.550". Poly mags run flawlessly in my Manners stocks.

I run a 26" 7 twist Comp contour PVA barrel on my TL3. Get with @bohem and pick one up and you will be happy.

Varget and 8208 both work great in this combo and a friend also uses VV N135 and I picked some up to try but haven't tried it yet.
    I’ve got a few barrels for him and all have been hammers, so I’ll give him a call when it’s time.

Problem is Proof only has a standard .223 Rem chamber. Not what I would use for a Tac rifle.

I’m pretty sure the Proof Chamber is a Wylde chamber. I shot out a PVA 223 wylde and replaced if with a Proof Prefit. Same exact load shot great and was within 15 fps. It’s been a year since I switched so I’m fuzzy on the exact details, but distance to the lands was comparable.

I’m pretty sure the Proof Chamber is a Wylde chamber. I shot out a PVA 223 wylde and replaced if with a Proof Prefit. Same exact load shot great and was within 15 fps. It’s been a year since I switched so I’m fuzzy on the exact details, but distance to the lands was comparable.

They list it as a .223 Rem and I have heard from people it’s shorter freebore than Wylde but guess we would have to check with them. What were you loading 75s to for oal?

Proof told me the 223 Impact prefits were a Wylde chamber when I asked a few months back.

Will have to check if others like Zermatt prefits are too as like I said I have read complaints about them being short throated and standard .223 Rem so maybe they listened and changed that.

While I actually had luck with a 1-9 twist barrel, the safe plan unless shooting 55 grain varmint bullets is all you ever want to load, the 1-7 twist is the safe bet. thinking of going really heavy, a 1-6.5 is the answer.

On the 1-9 barrel, “Luck” is the key word.

While I actually had luck with a 1-9 twist barrel, the safe plan unless shooting 55 grain varmint bullets is all you ever want to load, the 1-7 twist is the safe bet. thinking of going really heavy, a 1-6.5 is the answer.

On the 1-9 barrel, “Luck” is the key word.
    I’m going to run 75 eldm’s for tac but might play with heavier stuff like the 85.5 from berger, so the 1-7 will be my go to

My 26" 1-8 Loves 77 RDF's & stabilizes 88's NP. Just threw together a few loads with 88's to see what kind of speed I could get. Staball Match, AA2520, & Lever gave 2850 without pressure, but that was enough speed to make me happy. Haven't tried 85.5"s yet. It was built for Tac class so mostly focused on 77's. The Match & 2520 easily hit speed limit with the 77's.

Reactions: hellzna
    My 26" 1-8 Loves 77 RDF's & stabilizes 88's NP. Just threw together a few loads with 88's to see what kind of speed I could get. Staball Match, AA2520, & Lever gave 2850 without pressure, but that was enough speed to make me happy. Haven't tried 85.5"s yet. It was built for Tac class so mostly focused on 77's. The Match & 2520 easily hit speed limit with the 77's.
    Good to know, I looked at the RDF 77’s and they priced close enough with about the same availability as my trusty 105 hybrids that I’ve gotta over look them unfortunately.

I’ve got a 1:7, 24” heavy palma, proof. Hammers. In hindsight I’d go 26” and wouldnt be afraid to go with a heavier contour.

Will have to check if others like Zermatt prefits are too as like I said I have read complaints about them being short throated and standard .223 Rem so maybe they listened and changed that.
    My TL3 Proof prefit COAL to just off lands with 75 eldm is 2.497"

25gr of Varget or 23.6gr of 8208 with 75 ELDMs (or 75 BTHPs for practice) at 1.955" BTO has given me 2900+ fps in 3 or so 26" 7tw .223 barrels now with no issues. Feed great from MDT poly or metal mags.

I need to find one for 500, I know they are out there just need to find one.

Add to cart for extra awesomeness, you can pick up an HLR .150 lug to run TL3 barrels on an origin and still be under $500.

What loads did you run with Staball-M and 88s? I'm using Staball-M with 75 ELDs, and am really starting to like it.

My TL3 Proof prefit COAL to just off lands with 75 eldm is 2.497"

Same, I'm running a TL3 barrels on an Origin with an HLR lug and I'm ~2.493" at the lands with 75 ELDs, running 20 off at ~2.47 feeds great from an MDT poly mag.

To be fair though, when I emailed Proof and asked what the freebore was on this rifle they said:

"Hi Gtscotty,

These are on the tight side of SAAMI.

DJ"

Last edited:
    Reactions: camocorvette
    Add to cart for extra awesomeness, you can pick up an HLR .150 lug to run TL3 barrels on an origin and still be under $500.

What loads did you run with Staball-M and 88s? I'm using Staball-M with 75 ELDs, and am really starting to like it.

Same, I'm running a TL3 barrels on an Origin with an HLR lug and I'm ~2.493" at the lands with 75 ELDs, running 20 off at ~2.47 feeds great from an MDT poly mag.

To be fair though, when I emailed Proof and asked what the freebore was on this rifle they said:

"Hi Gtscotty,

DJ"
    I completely forgot about stockys, and I recently ordered one of the .150 lugs from hunts since I’ve got a few barrels for the TL that could use to be thrown on the origin.

I ran 24.1 - 24.7 with the Staball Match & 88’s. Just set them at 2.5” or 1.934 with Hornady comparator.
    24.7 was 2847
    This was in IVI brass that’s on the small side for capacity.
    My chamber is Wylde.

Reactions: Gtscotty
    Anyone play around with the stuff from preferred barrel blanks? I’ve got one on my RimX and it definitely shoots better then me, also I know holtworks runs them with great success but more options are better than one.

"Hi Gtscotty,

DJ"

Was also told that proof was not Wylde, but within Saami specs.

24.5 Varget gets me 2882 in a Bartlein Wylde Chamber. Good accuracy too.

They list it as a .223 Rem and I have heard from people it’s shorter freebore than Wylde but guess we would have to check with them. What were you loading 75s to for oal?
    I'm at 2.45 OAL. Barrel was ordered around August of 2022 from Front Range.