• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

223 target gun

RANGER_MAC

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Disclaimer: My search skills may be limited, but I have been all over look.

I was looking for the minimum and/or optimal barrel length for a 223 AR built. I found a great article a little while back on swat testing. It showed that 308 doesn't begin to lose velocity dramatically until shorter then 20" and the 300 win mag was at 22".

I am new to an AR target concept. We have 16" barrels on ours, but that is mainly for CQB requirements.

Can I built a 16" heavy barrel varmint/target AR and still optimize the round or does the 18,20, 24" benefit from increased muzzle velocity. What barrel twist?

I know by reading generally the shorter barrels have more rigidity, I really just want it to be a good shooter, still portable, and be able to group well at 300 yards and some work with a little more.

I just bought an LTR for longer work. THANKS FOR the help

Re: 223 target gun

It comes down to the length that you feel comfortable with. At 300 yards, I don't think it is going to be a major issue. What is important is the right twist of the barrel so that you can use the heavier pills. Now if you want to stretch out to 500-600 yards, then perhaps a longer barrel will give you a bit more fps.

I am thinking 500 max. I would like for it to preform well at 500, but most will be at 100,200, 300.

I am leaning towards a heavy barrel (maybe fluted) 16" with 1/8 twist. I like the accuracy from the heavy barrel and the length and flutes should allow me to easily be mobile with it for an occasional run and shoot.

The other option is to get two uppers for it and have one for targets and range and the other for run and shoot scenarios. I like the modular style of the m4. I don't know how much run and shoot I will do, I do it very frequently at work so thinking mostly targets out to 500 as stated above.

If you are going to push to 500 yards, then I would go with the 20". It's not that much more cumbersome, since standard issue M16 is already 20". This will give you enough oomph for the heavy pills.

IMHO:

Dont need anything over a HBAR, IMHO: No need for a BULL Barrel w/ Flutes, if thats what you mean by "Heavy".

HBAR or Med/HV profile is fine.

16" Middy Gas w/ mid-range mag. optics is GTG. RECCE Style
18" Rifle Gas w/ mid-range mag. optics is GTG. SPR Mod 1 Style.

Both will get you there w/ no prob. to 600. 18" w/ MK262 or similar to 800.

For your intended "range" I'd opt for the REECE style 16" w/ 1.5x-6x; or 2.5-10x optics on a QUALITY SS Wylde Chambered tube 1:7 or 1:8 Twist

<span style="font-weight: bold">Specs like "sgtlmj" - "Ultimate Recce"</span>
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1350803

EXAMPLES from SHide Members:
<span style="font-style: italic">fwiw: *Pics are from various Snipershide threads from members here & not mine. Just trying to help. Hope the owners fo these Fine Rigs/Shooters dont mind. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">AR15 REECE build(s):</span>
1003073gt2.jpg

1001606pz1.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Above 2x: "Black-X"</span>

IMG_2938Large.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Above: "michaelj"</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">AR15 SPR Mod 1 build</span>
743Q0592.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Above: "Kevin Deaton"</span>

These ALL will fill the role intended, just up to what you want & need.

Have a great one,
FTK

The Mk 12 Mod 0 or Mod 1 "concept" rifles are hard to beat for portability, accuracy, and flexibility. Mine has an 18" WOA SPR barrel and is a Mod 0 variant. With a 10X USO, my GF made first round hits off a ruck at 565 yds on a life sized steel crow and fox after I set the elevation and called the wind.

A floated SASS-type or REECE rifle would be fine as well. If you are not into the clone thing, then your basic heavy barreled 16" inch mid-length gas system barrel with whatever floated handguards is gonna make a fine rifle for 300 yard work. A carbine length gas system is a waste on a 16" rifle. Go mid or full. Save the carbine length for the SBR.

You don't need to "optimize" the 223 for 300 yard work. Optimum for the 223 is about 30" if velocity is the goal. You don't want to go there period in an AR, let alone for a 300 yard rifle.

thanks for the help. I will take a look at those options. What is the down fall to having the carbine length gas system on a 16" heavy/varmint rifle?

18" AR's are the way to go, who ever you choose. Most folks talk about their 100yd accuracy and under a moa. We test our rifles at 500yds and guarantee under a minute.

An 18" AR is a great compromise for what you want, some CQB and accuracy out to 300 and beyond.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.