• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .223 to .260 conversion

cheddar

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Madison, WI.
Whats needed? I have a Savage 10FP in .223 and I was reading great things about the .260 round. Obviously a new barrel. What about the bolt?

Re: .223 to .260 conversion

Bolt face diameters are different, don't know if replacement bolts are easily avail.

You will have to get a new bolt head, I believe it is the standard bolt head but I would email or give these guys a call. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

bolt heads should be under factory parts.

EDIT: You'll probably have to do some modification's to the internal mag system, or you could just buy a detachable mag (also from sharp shooter supply).

I don't understand their website's explanation of the DBM. I will call Fred sometime...anyone else?

Get a detachable mag system for it, or set it up to single feed the 260. The mag has a spacer in it and the internal mag has narrower feed lips for the 223 rem. Replace bolt head and barrel.

Get a DBM from CDI, then you can use AI mags (for .308) for it, then change the bolt head (same as .308), get yourself a 6.5mm barrel and you'll be good to go...

Call Fred at SSS.

I've seen several of SSS's guns, and every one I've seen and shot have been excellent pieces. Fred and Lisa are a small operation and they get a lot of work. According to one friend, this may be impacting their ability to do quick turnarounds or handle CS issues. I figure small operations get this way when business is busy, and I'm willing to be understanding about it. I have only dealt with them once, it was a very pleasant experience, and my partner who deals with them often has a similarly high opinion of them.

Greg

You'd probably be money ahead buying a 260 and keeping your 223 the way it is.

I think thats whats going to happen. Thanks for all the input. I'm talking to SSS about the DBM for shitzngigglez.

Actions with .223 bolt faces are hard to find.
Actions with 260 bolt faces are easy to find.

I have converted rifles from 8x57 to 300 Win Mag, and that is ok.

But from 8x57 to .223 is a royal pain, welding up and tuning the extractor.

So I have been looking for 223 actions.
They are all busy being .223s.