• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 trainer barrel and chamber specs?

DRichardson

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2017
Acworth, GA
I just ordered a bighorn origin action. I'm looking to build a switch barrel gun with a 6 creedmoor and eventually 6BR (already set to load 6 creedmoor now) and a 223 barrel. What chamber and barrel lengths are y'all using and getting and getting good results with in a 1:7 twist 223. I'm thinking a 24 inch in 223 Wylde. Is there an advantage of a CLE chamber in a bolt gun? I will be running some factory ammo and will be reloading so I can load as long as a polymer MDT AICS mag will allow. This will be a trainer, but I would like to optimize it with good ammo as well, because I have some local matches that stay inside 600-700 yards that a 223 would work well for and not burn up barrels. Thanks

Talk with your gunsmith. I built a 223 24" wylde chamber. It shoots factory ammo well. However the throat is not long enough to take advantage of the MDT magazines with heavier bullets

I planned on talking with the Smith. I am going to have keystone spin up the barrel. I just saw both of those chambers were offered and wondered if anyone had any first hand experience. Is there a point of diminishing returns on barrel length for 223? I planned on 24 since that is what the 6mm barrel is going to be.

CLE is a huge disadvantage in a bolt gun. Its shorter throat means you can not seat the longer bullets further out. I’m using a wylde chamber and still think the throat is too short. I wish it were 5.56 match.

If I were building a gun for the tac division and required to use 77gr or less, say Berger 75 vlds or Hornady 75 ELD, I would go with the Wylde chamber. If I were going to shoot the bigger bullets like the 88 ELD or 90 SMK, I would go with a much longer freebore. Something in the .120 range. You might load the bullet(s) to the length you want and send it to John so he can set your freebore exactly how you want it.

Can't go wrong with Wylde. I am running single feed with 80gr nosler CC out to 2.505" and have achieved 2900fps+ with Varget and a 24" barrel.

Not sure but I had mine setup around the 75gr eldm. It seemed like the best combo of performance and price.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be going with a 24 inch barrel with a Wylde chamber unless the the smith says different.

In a SAAMI .223 Rem chamber I got nosler 85RDFs (at the lands) up to 2800fps in a 24" barrel bolt gun at 5.56 NATO pressures. A longer throat would net you more powder capacity. If you have your 'smith throat the chamber for your favorite bullet you can use as much of your mag length as you want.