• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Trainer Build

browning442

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2014
Hey gents,

Looking for some input as i go to build a 223 trainer rifle. Thinking i'll do a KRG Whiskey 3 chassis, wondering what those of you who have one did for a few of the following options:

Action - Thinking a more budget ended option - Kelbly, Tenacity, Origin. At one point i've had or still have all 3, all three good options, just wondering which anyone prefers specifically for a 223. I like a lot of things about Kelbly (bolt lift, mech ejector, nitride). The Tenacity is just a solid, cost effective option with good refinement. The origin seems good too, they are really flexible with swappable bolt heads, etc.

Barrel length and profile - was thinking M24, probably 20" and run suppressed

This will be for practice off the bench, light training for NRL type stuff, and for weekend prairie dogs.

Thanks

it was easy for me as i only shoot origins. and they're more affordable which is a plus

origin and a proof prefit is the easy button (i prefer the 26" length anyways)

it probably doesnt matter too much to run a different action than your comp gun...but matching is a plus

besides it's super easy to pull the 223 barrel off and throw a magnum on for hunting

I do like the tenacity and origin for the prefit availability factor! Seems to me like the tenacity runs a hair smoother, but I've never had an origin with more than 200 rounds on it so maybe they smooth out a bit.

I bought a Tikka Varmint 223 - 23.7 inch barrel, 1-8 twist - and had local gunsmith thread. Dropped into KRG Bravo with MDT polymer mags. Just another option.

I bought a Tikka Varmint 223 - 23.7 inch barrel, 1-8 twist - and had local gunsmith thread. Dropped into KRG Bravo with MDT polymer mags. Just another option.
Was actually considering this option as a lower cost one as well. They have the correct twist which is handy.

Reactions: fclassparadise
Origin. Literally every smith that makes prefits offers them so options are endless. Add the ability to swap bolt heads and the best CS in the industry and its a no brainer. Oh and the actions are bad ass too. Its not even a contest in my eyes.

Nuke was in the running too... i have a Gen 1 nuke and its home to my 20 Tac barrel, I do like the nukes.

Reactions: DJL2
Definitely the Origin. Mostly due to the reasons mentioned about everyone offering prefits and the bolt head being easily changed so down the road you want to make it a standard .308 sized or magnum you can swap easily.

If you like 20" then go for it. It will work fine but my .223 is a 27". Rifle feels just like my larger match rifles and I can run it in TAC if I wanted. But in the end it's what works for you and your uses so a 20" with a can will be fine too.

Appreciate the feedback from everyone... thinking i will go with an origin and a proof prefit to keep it simple.

Reactions: RFutch and Rob01
I threw my old Tikka T3 223 Tactical rifle in a KRG X-ray stock and never look back. The barreled action is smooth, and with it's 1/8 twist 20 inch barrel loved 77grn bullits. The chassis super light weight, ergonomics, adjustability and assorted accessories makes this an economical and super accurate system that can hold its own with any other 223 setup out there.

Decided to shitcan the build… had an origin lined up with comp contour proof but need to pay off things first. Eventually I probably will do either a Tikka, or an origin with prefit

So for now the budget is extremely small

You can get an mpa pmr pro 2 barreled action which is a curtis with a lothar Walter hand lapped barrel for I think 12 or 1300. Or you can get the whole rifle with the ba comp chassis and tt diamond for 2499. I bought the whole rifle and love it! Now I have a brux chambered in 223ai on it

Decided to shitcan the build… had an origin lined up with comp contour proof but need to pay off things first. Eventually I probably will do either a Tikka, or an origin with prefit

So for now the budget is extremely small

Shit happens. You can always do it later. Sometimes the hobby has to take a back seat.

For sure.. will eventually get one done, appreciate everyone’s input, definitely some good points here that I’ll use when I do rally a build

20220902_122614.jpg

Sweet setup there! If I ever get my 224 grendel sold, a 223 may be closer than further

"I know people that have won national level competitions with a savage that just had its lugs lapped and receiver face lightly touched off."

You don't have to do that with a custom action...

"I know people that have won national level competitions with a savage that just had its lugs lapped and receiver face lightly touched off."

You don't have to do that with a custom action...
Right?! Go buy an ugly shit box Savage, spend money on the bolt/lugs to throw a barrel nut prefit on it in the name of saving no money. Bighorn is 900$ proof prefit is what 650? Slap a trigger in and be done. Oh and Savage aftermarket support is so much better than a 700 clone right @fclassparadise?

Right?! Go buy an ugly shit box Savage, spend money on the bolt/lugs to throw a barrel nut prefit on it in the name of saving no money. Bighorn is 900$ proof prefit is what 650? Slap a trigger in and be done. Oh and Savage aftermarket support is so much better than a 700 clone right @fclassparadise?
try like $450 for a proof prefit...barely more than a barrel nut prefit

Sucks to be you. Some of us just like nice things. You don't have to be a "top competitor" to do so. If I can afford a custom for my 223 why in hell would I use a lesser factory action.
Exactly my thoughts. Piece of mind for a couple hundred bucks... no brainer

My thinking was.. a trainer is going to get more use than your hunting rifle, probably more use than a comp rifle, etc…. So spend the money on the thing you’re gonna use the most is what made sense. A bighorn is a perfect working man’s action, and the resale is much better for those like me who like to trade shit around!

Reactions: NFshooter150
My thinking was.. a trainer is going to get more use than your hunting rifle, probably more use than a comp rifle, etc…. So spend the money on the thing you’re gonna use the most is what made sense. A bighorn is a perfect working man’s action, and the resale is much better for those like me who like to trade shit around!

Not to mention you can easily change the bolt face on the Bighorn Origin and it could be your main comp rifle or hunting rifle also.

Reactions: browning442
Those MDT poly magazines feed ok with the TL3? Reason I ask is mine is going to be a TL3, Proof prefit and I have already bought 3 of the poly MDT magazines.
Yup feed great. I have 6 of them. Can also laod out to 2.550" OAL. I am at 2.470".

Reactions: ncyotecaller
Of the three I actually prefer the kelbly. To me it’s the smoothest, lightest bolt lift. The other two are great as well and I don’t think you’d go wrong regardless how you go. The kelbly service is second to none, and they are prefit compatible as well which people seem to over look for some reason.

As for as the krg and kelbly go there could be some minor tweaking due to the trigger hanger.

I also prefer a heavier profile and longer but If you’d like a 20” send it!!

I would never buy a custom action for a "trainer"

I can think of atlesst 1 reason lots of people do it. So that it is identical to there comp rig. That said I like custom actions, so if you can swing it then definitely go for it. Most people use there trainers more, so why wouldn’t you invest into it.

The kelbly service is second to none, and they are prefit compatible as well which people seem to over look for some reason.

I think its because there are not a lot of people making prefits for them. I know they will do their own but a few popular shops I talked to would not do them. 🤷‍♂️

I think its because there are not a lot of people making prefits for them. I know they will do their own but a few popular shops I talked to would not do them. 🤷‍♂️
and bolt stops breaking...though this has supposedly been maybe fixed

and bolt stops breaking...though this has supposedly been maybe fixed
Which is strange since they may have been one of the first people really doing the prefit thing.

I’ve been told that has been rectified as well, although I’ve never broken mine and I run my bolt like I’m trying to break it lol.

Reactions: b6graham
Those MDT poly magazines feed ok with the TL3? Reason I ask is mine is going to be a TL3, Proof prefit and I have already bought 3 of the poly MDT magazines.
I've used the poly mags and the metal ones. It seems everyone prefers the poly because they have a longer col but actually on the metal you can take out the inner plastic pieces and dremel the front off and then your col is about 2.6

Reactions: Matt_3479
12F6C1E1-D691-42F8-A4BA-DE25258D2710.jpeg

I just bought a Tikka CTR in 223. Actually bought from a guy here on the hide. Slapped it in an Xray Chassis, and couldnt be happier. It shoots pretty damn well and will kill many praire dogs.

Ruger American
preferred barrel pre fit
mdt chassis

if you're poor...

When your budget allows the origin and a prefit is the way to go. Save up and grab a prefit on black Friday. I got my 223 prefit from PVA on black Friday last year. I have two of the earlier origins and one with the newer stainless bolt models. New ones are even smoother than the early ones.

I did a Tikka in a TAC A1 chassis with a prefit from PBB. 22" taperless .900 1:7.5 twist. It seems to really like 73gr Bergers.

Guys the OP is not poor. He just had some shit come up in life that sidelined the build. He ans myself have communicated about quite a few things rifle/shooting related since he purchase a scope from me early this year, we live in same state. He's got a quite a few nice custom bolt/gas rifles and he posted this thread to get the most input on a 223 build path based upon some the entry level custom actions. Even though his project is postponed, hes not gonna go and buy a ruger American or savge or whatever cheaper option, he'll more than likely just wait till time is right. Not that there's nothing wrong with tikka or ruger, I have a few, but I sure as hell like running my Archimedes, fuzion, bat over a ruger American an day of the week. Never have I thought I wished I had all the money back i spent on custom actions and I'd just switch to basic bitch brand X factory action, ever! I mean I have an AI ATX, and for near 5k, I wish the action was a lot nicer, cuz it feels like driving a dump truck(with a sweet trigger) but I still greatly enjoy shooting it cuz the package performs in all situations I've put it.

Where’d you end up getting your hands on one? I’ve been trying to get one for around 2 years now and have had zero luck finding one.

I threw my old Tikka T3 223 Tactical rifle in a KRG X-ray stock and never look back. The barreled action is smooth, and with it's 1/8 twist 20 inch barrel loved 77grn bullits. The chassis super light weight, ergonomics, adjustability and assorted accessories makes this an economical and super accurate system that can hold its own with any other 223 setup out there.
What kind of fps are you seeing out of that 20 inch tikka?

Where’d you end up getting your hands on one? I’ve been trying to get one for around 2 years now and have had zero luck finding one.
I've seen em around. At least listed... Just checked Euro Optic and they seem to be out.

I think I'm going to buy myself another Tikka in .223 to match my Tikka '6.5manbun'

M

Reactions: Joeydias3