• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 trainer build

kyotekiller25

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2021
USA
Going to start planning my next 1K build. Going to build off my R700 222. Already have the Grayboe Renegade with M5 bottom metal. Trying to mainly decide on twist. Going to go with a Bartlein/Brux 26-28" rem varmint. I want to shoot the 53g vmax for splat factor out to 500 and then also the 75/80g ELDMs for 1K. Do I really need a 7 or 7.5 twist, or will an 8 suffice for the 80s? I read too much and it seems pretty split between a 7.5 or 8. I also might add I'm only at 500ft ASL and Winters here get down to sub zero temps at times. My concern with a 7 or 7.5 is it will rip the 53 vmaxs apart. However the main purpose of this rifle will be 1K steel, so if I really need the 7 or 7.5 for the 80g eldms I'll obviously go that route. Just trying to see if the 8 will work for all 3 bullets. Thanks!

I’ve gotten a 53 varmageddon which is a pretty thin bullet up to 3050 in a 16” 223 that was 7 twist and it seemed fine. 8 should suffice for what you described though and you wouldn’t have the lingering concern.

Going to start planning my next 1K build. Going to build off my R700 222. Already have the Grayboe Renegade with M5 bottom metal. Trying to mainly decide on twist. Going to go with a Bartlein/Brux 26-28" rem varmint. I want to shoot the 53g vmax for splat factor out to 500 and then also the 75/80g ELDMs for 1K. Do I really need a 7 or 7.5 twist, or will an 8 suffice for the 80s? I read too much and it seems pretty split between a 7.5 or 8. I also might add I'm only at 500ft ASL and Winters here get down to sub zero temps at times. My concern with a 7 or 7.5 is it will rip the 53 vmaxs apart. However the main purpose of this rifle will be 1K steel, so if I really need the 7 or 7.5 for the 80g eldms I'll obviously go that route. Just trying to see if the 8 will work for all 3 bullets. Thanks!
Have you tried the Berger twist rate calculator yet? I have just finished a similar build with the same intended use, but I do not intended to push it to 1k. I wanted this build to be some what of a utility build. I have also designed it around the 53gr vmax for praire dogs and varmint, but also wanted something efficient to 600yds say with 68 or 69g bullet. I went with a shilen varmint 26"- 1:9 from northernland Shooters supply. Call James out there, he is a wealth of knowledge on barrels. I have also built a 6GT with a Critereon barrel from him that shoots small bug holes as well.

I too love the 53 V-Max (in my AR), but a 75 will also kill a coyote.
The new 62 eld-vt’s look pretty promising as well.
I’ve been pondering the same lately, I’ll probably 7.5”.

It sounds crazy, but if I ever killed more than a coyote here and there, I’d wrap a rifle around that 53……..

Twist rate calculators are dog shit for 22 cals with plastic tip bullets...they're not even close

For example my 222 shoots 40g vmax at 3500 with a 14 twist into 1/4 MOA but the SF is like a .9 and with a 50g vmax at 3200 its like .8 How does that even make sense? Both shoot lights out to 400 yards....

The 223 with an 8 twist with a 75g eldm at 3000fps is like a 1.25, with the 80g eldm at 2900 it's like 1.19 again how does that make any sense?

If anyone has an explanation for that, I'm all ears...

If anyone has an answer to my original question, please let's hear it...I've already done all the math and it doesn't add up either way you put it into a twist rate calculator...

Well then just change the load to what it likes instead?
Doesn't work like that... are you gonna get a 4 twist to shoot a varmint bullet? Think about it...

Supposedly you need a 1.5 SF to be ideal...show me the numbers that work in a 22 cal for that with plastic tip bullets, I'll wait...

Bullet RPMs also play a factor in all this...

Last edited:
I’ve shot a lot light bullets bullets out of 7 twist 223’s, 224V’s, and a 22-250 without issue. There’s some bullets that will poof but the 53 Vmaxs do very well being spun fast.

I don’t think you need an 7 twist for those bullets though unless you’re going to run them slow. An 8 twist should be fine. I shot a lot of 75gr Amax’s and 80.5gr fullbores out of an 8 twist 223 at distance without issue.

With that said, I’d personally buy an origin and a prefit. You’ll be money ahead after having an R700 worked over and custom barrel spun up and have a better action.

I’ve shot a lot light bullets bullets out of 7 twist 223’s, 224V’s, and a 22-250 without issue. There’s some bullets that will poof but the 53 Vmaxs do very well being spun fast.

I don’t think you need an 7 twist for those bullets though unless you’re going to run them slow. An 8 twist should be fine. I shot a lot of 75gr Amax’s and 80.5gr fullbores out of an 8 twist 223 at distance without issue.

With that said, I’d personally buy an origin and a prefit. You’ll be money ahead after having an R700 worked over and custom barrel spun up and have a better action.
Thank you. I should be able to hit 3000fps with the 75s and 2900 with the 80s from a 27-28" 223 I would think from my research anyway. I think I'm just going to go with the 8 twist, been leaning that way, just need a little extra reassurance.

Factory tikka 8tw didn't like 75 ELDs although they seemed stable at similar temp/elevation to what you listed. No idea if twist had any impact but the replacement barrel will be a 7.5.

New ELD-VT 62 grainers sound like a good deal for splatting things in such a rifle but obviously wont hit 53 vmax speeds.

Reactions: kyotekiller25
I’m running a 1:7 and a 1:8 twist 223. Both shoot 53’s and 75s good. Moving forward I will continue to run 7twist since I don’t see any downside and I think RPM plays a role in splat factor

Reactions: kyotekiller25