• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 223 trainer

Cbostick

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2017
Indiana
If you were going to build a 223 trainer who's action would you use ? Iooking for reliable feeding.

I'd use the same action and chassis my main rifle uses. The more different the trainer is, the less the practice is going to help you.

If you want trigger control, follow trhough, and sight picture work, that can be done with a .22 or even a quality air rifle, and at 1/5 or less the the cost of .22 ammo

Practice like you want to play.

Have a surgeon 223 which runs and shoots lights out. Also had Moon fit up a 6.5CM bolt and barrel which can be switched out in 10 minutes.

Also if OP doesn't mind what twist and would you Ackley the 223 round for a practice gun ?

I hate the name trainer, I rather use the name groundhog slayer. I have two 223 bolt rifles that are built on Remington 700 actions and are deadly. I have shot the 77 grain Sierra's out to 900 yards numerous times. Within 600 yards they are almost boring unless wind is really blowing intermittently. So, I vote for the good old fashioned Remington 700 trued up and a Bartlein barrel installed.

I have a 223 in both a rem action and a Kelbly Atlas. The Kelbly both feeds better, is smoother, and 16.34 times more sexy. lol

Seriously, a rem is every bit as accurate as a custom, but lose the resale. practically same price as well (after accurizing.)

ESP since Kelbly lowered price of the Atlas to $999

Rem
-action $600
-true $200 ish
-flute bolt $100 ish
-20moa pict rail $100 ish
-melonite $100 ish

kinda seems a no brainer.

GL
DT

I'm in the middle of a .223 build. Although not a "trainer" per se, I think my answers are applicable.
I'm going with a R700 that I will be truing myself. Rock Creek barrel, McMillan stock. I went straight .223 after considering the Ackley. I did so for simplicity's sake. I want, at this point in my life and shooting, easy. I will be shooting FT/R with it this summer a few times. I'm looking forward to that.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

I'm in the middle of a .223 build. Although not a "trainer" per se, I think my answers are applicable.
I'm going with a R700 that I will be truing myself. Rock Creek barrel, McMillan stock. I went straight .223 after considering the Ackley. I did so for simplicity's sake. I want, at this point in my life and shooting, easy. I will be shooting FT/R with it this summer a few times. I'm looking forward to that.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

Just out of curiosity, what complexities drove you away from the AI?

There was just a thread in the bolt action section about .223 vs .223AI, so please let's not turn this one into the same thing lol...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I love the .223, I have always used them for a trainer ( I shoot 75grain ELD's) and we have used them at our shooting school for many years. Always amazing to watch them learn the wind and hit things to 1000 yards. A big confidence booster for sure.

We use a Bat Tactical Action .308 cut on the bottom and a 223 bolt. That way you could swap out the bolt to a .308 based cartridge in the future.

With the Rifle Chamber Cylinder you can now build the rifle yourself. The action goes to the ffl and the barrel with the chamber attached comes to you. We sell a lot of these "trainers" and always have actions and barrels in the works for short turn around times.

Good luck with the build. You'll love it. The twist we use most is 1-7.7 so we can shoot 80 grainers if we want.

Jamie Dodson
Wolf Precision, Inc.
www.wolfprecision.net

My .223 Bolt gun is a Surgeon with 30" L Palma Bartlien 6.5 Twist for 80- 95 grain bullets. X-tream two stage trigger. McMillan A 5 stock. S&B Ultra Short. Very accurate and fun. Surgeon DBM. Feeds well of course. Built by LRI.

RTH

I have two identically setup Howa 1500s one of them in 223. The barrel, while accurate enough, will go into the trash bin as soon as CBI releases their barrel nut prefits. While Howa advertises their 223 to be a 1-9 twist, mine will absolutely not stabilize either the Hornady 68 nor the SMK 69. Both make perfect keyholes at 50 yards. A new Criterion with 7 twist will fix that and allow me to shoot the tons of loaded ammo I have with Hornady 75s leftover from my service rifle days.

I can't figure out WTF is wrong with that barrel because it shoots 52 - 55 gr match bullets like it's on fire.

The WTO switchlug system is great for a practice barrel ("trainer" if you prefer) offering the easiest barrel changes possible in the field.