• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Trainer

anginaprinzmetal

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2014
Planning on a budget 223 trainer. Not really excited about reloading 223/556. So that I would like to shoot factory stuff, whatever I can get. I do realize that accuracy may suffer. Would you guys do a 223 Match chamber w a longer throat or a 223 Wylde w/ less inherent accuracy?. Thx

Planning on a budget 223 trainer. Not really excited about reloading 223/556. So that I would like to shoot factory stuff, whatever I can get. I do realize that accuracy may suffer. Would you guys do a 223 Match chamber w a longer throat or a 223 Wylde w/ less inherent accuracy?. Thx
There’s nothing less inherently accurate about the Wilde chamber.

^ I get that, I meant to say what would be the advantage of a 223 Match chamber over a Wylde? Throat length allowing for heavier pills? but if so it would be at the expense of not being able to shoot 556? Even if good quality ammo.

I do reload but my point is that I don't want to reload for 223/556, just want to shoot factory (good or bad stuff). So that the 223 Wylde is starting to make sense. Thanks

Wylde chamer=match chamber + generous freebore.

Kinda of hard to go wrong with that unless you're AR mag restricted.

Wylde chamber all the way for me. It will shoot the factory ammo just fine.

I do reload but my point is that I don't want to reload for 223/556, just want to shoot factory (good or bad stuff). So that the 223 Wylde is starting to make sense. Thanks

“Match” doesn’t really mean anything to me. Its really only something you see with custom guns, and is a reflection of the gunsmith’s preferences when he ordered the reamer.

The Wylde is a pretty good do-all though. For reference, the freebore for the .223, wylde, and Nato are .025, .062, .070 respectively. My personal ”match” reamer has .025 freebore which works with Varmint bullets, and I throat out to suit heavier bullets

Why build another rifle? Why not just shoot out your barrel and get another spun on?

I guess I never understood the trainer idea, especially in terms of saving money. A trainer should mirror your comp rifle, so another rifle, optics, rings, then ammo. Now, if you’re running on an action that allows prefits and bolt swaps, that makes sense. Building a new rifle for a trainer for saving money, doesn’t (imo).

Reactions: Supersubes
I got a RPR in .223 back when they were still available have since been discontinued but sm sure theres some in the used market. It has since become my “trainer”

My five '223' rifles are all either Wylde or 5.56 chambered; no chambering issues/accuracy problems with loads (both factory and handloads) that are seated to magazine length.

Greg

I tried the 223 trainer and ended up getting rid of it. With cheap ball ammo it sucked. With good ammo it was a hammer. In my case I thought I was going to be saving money, and i would shoot more. That didn't happen. Shooting cheap ammo was frustrating as i couldn't tell if it was myself or my ammo causing my misses (1-2moa). It was shooting well under 1/2" with good ammo, but then I was almost spending as much as my 308 ammo cost. I didn't like reloading the smaller cases either.

I am looking at getting a 223 conversion for my ax308, but it would be for prarie dog towns with a high rate of fire.

Now I have a 22lr and shoot it a lot. And it actually is pretty cheap to shoot even with good ammo.

I have a trusty Rem700 5R in .223 with 1/9 twist barrels and it shoots 69, 77, 80 grain SMK's very accurately. I know a lot of people like a .22LR trainer, but the best trainer IMHO is the .223 bolt gun. Mine is a laser. I added a Timney, bedding job, Karsten cheek riser and NF NXS 3-15 and shoot it out to 1,000 yards. Great to learn wind and fundamentals.

I give you a big thumbs up for a .223 trainer.

PB