• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 twist rate for 3 gun matches

thefiremeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Nevada
Whats the best twist rate for bullets in the 55 to 69 grn range?

I might shoot some thing a little heavier but don't expect to. This upper will be for 3gun matches

I was looking at a RRA upper and it looks like I can get either a 1/9 or a 1/8.

Re: 223 twist rate for 3 gun matches

So what's the heaviest bullet you can reliably shoot with a 1:9 barrel?

Either 1/8 or 1/9 should be just fine for 55's and 69's. I wouldn't get too hung up on shooting 77's for 3-gun. Most of the matches have close up stages where 55's do just fine. For the stage or two at longer distances, 69's will do great.

in an ar you are best staying under 69gr with a 9 twist but the 8 twist barrels will also shoot 55gr projectiles well and the 75-77gr projectiles are awsome in them also the 69's shoot realy well throught the 8 twist barrels.

Work out what projectiles youa re going to shoot the most and if you are never going to shoot heavier than 69gr go the 9 twist but if you want to try the heavier projectiles get the 8 both will work for you.

If in doubt, go faster.

Faster twist will shoot lighter bullets better the slower twist will shoot heavier bullets.

Check out this chart.

Twist%20compairson.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Faster twist will shoot lighter bullets better the slower twist will shoot heavier bullets.</div></div>

Just for clarification sake...that is backwards, but I know what you were trying to say.

Faster = 1 complete revolution/twist of the rifling in fewest inches of barrel. i.e. - a 1:7 twist is FASTER than a 1:9 twist.

A FASTER twist (like the 1:7...1 complete twist in 7") will stabilize the heavier/longer bullets better.

A SLOWER twist (like the 1:9, 1:12, 1:14, etc.) will stabilize the lighter, shorter bullets better.

For 3-gunning purposes, unless you really want to shoot heavier, match bullets, there is no reason to go faster than 1:8. If it were me, I would opt for a 1:8 twist which will give you arguably the best bang for the buck in terms of what you can run. A 1:8 will run very well with bullets from 52gr-77gr without missing a beat.

No sir, its not backwards.

For example, a 1:7 will shoot 55 grain bullets better then a 1:12 will shoot 69 grn bullets. The faster twist is NEEDED for heavier bullets.

Meaning a faster twist will shoot lighter bullets better then a slower twist will shoot heavier bullets.

Again, look at the chart I posted.

As my tubes are getting burned up I have been moving everything to 1:8 twist tubes. Most of the time I shoot stuff in the 55gr range but if I wanted I can shoot 80gr bullets as a single shot.

If you are only going to shoot up to 69gr bullets then a 1:9 is all you need.

1:7 is not needed at all for any one it does not stabalize 80gr bullets any better than a 1:8. You will not be shootin 90's so there is no reason for a 1:6.5 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No sir, its not backwards.

For example, a 1:7 will shoot 55 grain bullets better then a 1:12 will shoot 69 grn bullets. The faster twist is NEEDED for heavier bullets.

Meaning a faster twist will shoot lighter bullets better then a slower twist will shoot heavier bullets.

Again, look at the chart I posted. </div></div>

DOH!! I see what you were saying now and I agree 100%. I missed/misread how it was stated, thinking you were simply saying that faster works better on lighter bullets, but instead, you were saying you can better run a lighter weight bullet with a faster twist than you can run a heavier bullet with a slower one. My goof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either 1/8 or 1/9 should be just fine for 55's and 69's. I wouldn't get too hung up on shooting 77's for 3-gun. Most of the matches have close up stages where 55's do just fine. For the stage or two at longer distances, 69's will do great. </div></div>

I figured 55s and 69s would be good for the 3 gun. I don't plan on shooting any thing heavier

Just got off the phone with sierra and was told I can shoot 45gn high velocity bullets to 77gn with a 16" 1/8

Or

A 1/7 twist will shoot just about anything.

A 1/8 twist:

will shoot 45gn high velocity bullet to 77 grn bullets in a 16 inch barrel

You can shoot 45 gn to 80s and maybe 90s in a 20 inch
1/8 barrel the 90s may be marginal

With a 1/9 twist in a 20 inch barrel

Can shoot down to 40 or 45 gn high velocity bullet.
Will shoot a 69 grn bullet well.
Will shoot a 77 grn bullet but may be marginal
Won't shoot a 77 gn bullet very well in a 16 inch barrel.

I like the 1 in 8 twist myself.

I have ARs with 1 in 9 and 1 in 7 twists. The last match I shot 55 Grain FMJ PMC ammo in the 1 in 7 twist at distances of 20 feet on paper to 300+ yards on 8" steel plates and had no problem. But, I could have done the same with the 1 in 9 twist gun too. This just supports the fact that 55 FMJ bullets will stabilize properly in the 1 in 7 twist.
The trend I see now is more and more manufacturers shipping guns with the 1 in 8 twist barrels. I think that is the way to go. My 1 in 8 twist 223 bolt gun shoots the 77 SMK into tiny groups out at very long ranges.

I was looking at the RRA upper and I wanted to go with the crome moly barrel but it has a 1/9 twist. The stainless has the 1/8 twist and a wylde chamber.

I'm leaning towards the stainless with the 1/8

CM barrels are fine with conventional rifling and chrome lining. S&W has the inexpensive Sport rifle out now. It is a CM 1 in 8 twist with 5R rifling (not chrome lined) and those guns are shooting great. Not real familiar with RRA barrel options but I thought their S/S barrels were 20 to 24 inch affairs. At any rate, you won't need anything longer than 16" for the 3 gun game.
You might look at one of these:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/s...playErrorView_Y

Thanks for the link but I wanted something a little more simple. Has to tacticool but not all railed out and I'd still like to have a A2 sight on it.