• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 twist rate

strider09

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
wichita KS.
I'm looking at gettting a new upper from white oak, and theya re giving me a choice of 1:12 or 1:7 twist rate, I see alot of posts about the 1:8 and 1:7 but have not heard anything about the 1:12. what would a 1:12 be good for?
I'm assuming that I should go with the 1:7 but before I do, I'm wondering how each would effect the gun?

Re: .223 twist rate

The 1:12 is only good for the real light weight bullets. I would go with the 1:7 if you are going to shoot long range. They are able to stabilize the heavy bullets needed for long range shooting.

If you are building a varminter then the 1:12 twist would give better accuracy shooting 45-55gr varmint bullets. For longer range paper punching the 1:7 is better since you could shoot 77-80gr bullets.

i use 1:8......it has been good for anything I can buy from the factory between 50-77 grains

what these guys said^^^

i have a .223 on a M7 with 1-12" twist. i like it but it is only good for bullets up to 60 grains or so. still, with the 53 grain TSX and the variety of nice 50-55 grain bulets, it is worthy of keeping. i shoot to 500 meters with it and get very reliable results as long as the wind isn't howling.

but i also have .223 AI rifles in 1-8" and 1-7" twist, and these are my default twists in .223, and i consider them both equal and either 7 or 8 twist are very useful. they shoot the lighter bullets ok, but shine whith the heavies. i shoot a lot of the 75 A-Max and 62 grain TSX bullets. i have used the 70 grain TSX, but seem to loose too much velocity, and the TSX bullets thrive on velocity.

well said, depends what you plan to use it for. I killed a ton of "chucks" in my "ute" out to 350 with a 22-250 1 in 12 and 55 gr softpoints. If you want to shoot away out then a 1 in 7 or 8 for 70-80 gr bullets makes sense. That's what my DPMS Sweet 16 223 has and it won't shoot light bullets worth a damn but feed it 77 SMKs and it drives tacks.
DSCN2713.jpg

Honestly, I know you guys are all gonna laugh, but I don`t really know what I want to use it for.... I wanted something accurate that was fun to shoot. I knew I could use the 308 for deer/coyote/target practice so I got one of those, then I decided to get a 223 too while I was waiting for the 308 to come in. but like I said I want something accurate, even though there is no long range ranges here that is not to say that I`m not going to move somewhere in the future that has them. I guess I could use it for target practice, coyotes, prairy dogs..... not sure what else.... What do you all use yours for?
If I understand correctly if i go with the 1:7 it will shoot heavies good and lights only decent, But if I go with the 1:12, it will shoot the lights good with the heavies like crap. would either ruin the barrel? if not, sounds like maybe the 1:7 would be good and then if I am shooting varmits I can use lighter with a little reduction in accuracy but if I need accuracy I can always go up to heavies for when I need them.
It`s gonna be a 20" barrel, wish I could get another but the deal I made with the wife is that these are gonna be the only two guns I have for the forseeable future.

The 1:7 or 1:8 twist will allow you to shoot any length .224 bullet except for the 90gr SMK or JLK. It will shot the lighter bullets with no problems. In my rifles (1:8 and 1.7.7) I sometimes shoot the 52gr SMK and it does very well.

The 1:12 twist will simply not shoot anything heavier than a 60 grain bullet and as they get longer, the results will be worse. You may not even fine the bullet holes on paper much past 50 yards.

Select the twist that will allow you to shoot the longest bullet you are likely to shoot. You will not go wrong with a 1:7 twist.

If you are not sure what you will end up using it for, and it's one of only two rifles, go 1 in 7. That way you won't have to buy another upper if you get interested in long range rifle shooting.

ANd if you ever want to sell it, the 1 in 8 will be far easier to sell than a 1 in 12

+1 on 1:7 or 1:8 All my 1:8's shoot 55-69 really well. Punch paper...69 smk, Shoot Pdogs...55 V-Max

I'm surprised that John has given you only those 2 choices! When he built me a match upper, I could pick any twist rate I wanted. The only thing was he had some barrels on hand and if I wanted something else, it would be a longer wait time. No big deal. I went with a 1:7.7 twist.

IMG_0625.jpg

Thank you everyone. I'm gonna go with the 1:7. I appreciate all the input.
tlfm- I didn't ask him about it because it was stated on his web site 1:7 or 1:12 for 16"-20 , 1:8 or 1:12 for 22"-26" barrels.