• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Upper (Precision)

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Was trolling around for a precision upper (small frame) 223.

Found Compass Lake recommendation. Problem: Match uppers have a free float tube that looks like it would not be good for bipods and all the other crap we strap on our rifles in PRS (Mainly the bipod/arca rail).

Because my name is not "Timmy" I shied away from the "Tactical" uppers but is the barrel that much different? I saw the match barrels were about 0.10 inches wider--I could be wrong. Tactical ones have the mlock handguards to slap an arca or bipod with a slightly less beefy barrel, and lets be honest, I shoot PRS for the giggles not the podium.

ANything wrong with those tactical uppers? Are there alternatives to get the proper "handguard"

Yes I could build one--I really don't have the time--too many irons in the fire.

Was trolling around for a precision upper (small frame) 223.

Found Compass Lake recommendation. Problem: Match uppers have a free float tube that looks like it would not be good for bipods and all the other crap we strap on our rifles in PRS (Mainly the bipod/arca rail).

Because my name is not "Timmy" I shied away from the "Tactical" uppers but is the barrel that much different? I saw the match barrels were about 0.10 inches wider--I could be wrong. Tactical ones have the mlock handguards to slap an arca or bipod with a slightly less beefy barrel, and lets be honest, I shoot PRS for the giggles not the podium.

ANything wrong with those tactical uppers? Are there alternatives to get the proper "handguard"

Yes I could build one--I really don't have the time--too many irons in the fire.
You can just swap out the handguard on the CLE upper, or build an upper and just buy a CLE barrel with of choice. Since you don’t have the time, I am sure CLE will put a different handguard on for you as well.

I would recommend.936 gas block barrel, thicker is better unless you are trying to keep it light weight and don’t plan on firing longer strings of fire.

Reactions: camocorvette
If you’re going to swap the HG you might as well just assemble one at that point. You’ve gotta remove the entire gas block assembly since they all use their proprietary barrel nuts so at that point the upper is apart and it’s a full reassembly anyway plus you’re adding the disassembly process.

Get a mega MML set or a VLTOR MUR and whatever HG you want, a proof SS, BCG, GB, CH and slap it together. You could have all those parts by the end of the week.

Reactions: ELCO82 and 346ci
Take a look at White Oak Armament SPR or 3 gun uppers. They all include bcg and ch. They just had their pirate day sale last month but may again for black Friday.

Reactions: simonp
I was going to suggest checking the WOA national match complete uppers. I have 2 of the ( both with Bartlein barrels. Both are sub moa.

Reactions: simonp