• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 using Long Action AICS Magazines?

andrew7rm

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2024
Melbourne
Hi all,

I've been considering a multi-calibre build based on the Zermatt Bighorn Origin long action given the interchangeable bolt heads. Ideally, I'd like to switch between a 7mm and .223. Magazines seem to be the limiting factor though.

Ray from Zermatt isn't aware of anyone achieving reliable feeding of .223 in a long action and Accurate-mag don't offer a compatible option.

Any thoughts? Is it possible to get a .223 to feed reliably from a long action AICS magazine? Are there conversion kits out there?

Seems like Tikka has been able to make it work but I can't find anything out there for Remington 700 clones.

Don't know of any long action .223 workable mags. Are you fixed on long action? Why not use a 7mm short action magnum? That way you can go to the .223 also.

^^^

I've been running 223, 22-250ai, 7 SAUM & 300 SAUM on a short action Origin.

6.5 PRC barrel arrives tomorrow.

Reactions: andrew7rm
Don't know of any long action .223 workable mags. Are you fixed on long action? Why not use a 7mm short action magnum? That way you can go to the .223 also.
That's possible. I was hoping to go with long action so I have the option to move up to .338 or something larger than 7mm eventually, but if I can get 7mm Rem Mag to single feed in a short action I'll do that instead. Already have dies and plenty of 7mm Rem Mag brass so don't want to switch to a new caliber yet.

Reactions: Rob01
You'd be better off trying to fit "7mm" into a short action than 223 into a long action.
Thanks for the idea, not sure why I didn't think of it earlier. Have emailed Zermatt to see whether I'll be able to single feed 7mm Rem Mag into their short action. Already have dies and brass for it so want to use what I already have for now, if possible.

Become a supporter and sell your brass and dies to recoup funds.

Choose a caliber that is proven to function well in a short action and quality brass is readily available.

JMHO