• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Wylde Barrel Comparison

T-Bone_o.0_

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2020
Scottsdale
I'm starting to assemble (build) a mid range rifle, AR platform in .223 Wylde.

I'd like thoughts on the difference between the Ballistics Advantage Premium 20" fluted barrel vs the Wilson Combat 20" fluted 'super sniper'.
Trying to keep weight down and the WC barrel comes in at 52 oz and BA is 34 oz so I'm leaning to BA.

I'm obviously not breaking the bank with this but want a quality barrel.

I can't remember my BA barrel being a premium but I would spend more and try something else. I wasn't happy with the one I had, it was an 18 inch.

Reactions: RTH1800
I never could get it to shoot as good as I wanted, I ran it 3 years then got an odin works barrel and running it now and it's a little better.

Reactions: T-Bone_o.0_
An 18 inch white oak barrel is gonna cost about the same as the 20 inch Wilson combat you have mentioned. Just buy the white oak and be done with it. An 18 inch barrel will reach 600 no problem. How much more “mid range” do you want.

I can’t comment on your weight dilemma but I have the 20” Wilson ss wylde barrel and it’s shooting the 73eldm quite nicely.

An 18 inch white oak barrel is gonna cost about the same as the 20 inch Wilson combat you have mentioned. Just buy the white oak and be done with it. An 18 inch barrel will reach 600 no problem. How much more “mid range” do you want.
Thanks for the info on the WOA barrel. I thought they were more expensive based on what I remember reading, which was inaccurate apparently.
I think I'll go that route. I'm trying to keep the weight of the rifle down, since I broke my back two years ago and ounces add to pounds... and pounds equal pain. WOA says the fluted barrel saves 5 oz!

Now to just find the lowest price! Let take a look see, I qualify for veteran and retired law enforcement discounts!

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Thanks for the info on the WOA barrel. I thought they were more expensive based on what I remember reading, which was inaccurate apparently.
I think I'll go that route. I'm trying to keep the weight of the rifle down, since I broke my back two years ago and ounces add to pounds... and pounds equal pain. WOA says the fluted barrel saves 5 oz!

Now to just find the lowest price! Let take a look see, I qualify for veteran and retired law enforcement discounts!
The 18 and 20 inch barrel come in lighter than the Wilson barrel.

Reactions: T-Bone_o.0_
Occasionally cheap barrels will shoot decently. More often than not, they won’t. When you buy a barrel, you’re paying for a probability. If you want a high probability that the barrel that you are buying will shoot well, you pay for a top-tier barrel. If you buy a cheap barrel, you’re only paying for a low probability that it will shoot well.

Reactions: hellzna
Occasionally cheap barrels will shoot decently. More often than not, they won’t. When you buy a barrel, you’re paying for a probability. If you want a high probability that the barrel that you are buying will shoot well, you pay for a top-tier barrel. If you buy a cheap barrel, you’re only paying for a low probability that it will shoot well.

So is a WOA a cheap barrel?

I've got an 18" Wilson barrel on one AR and a WOA on the upper I just finished but haven't shot yet

The Wilson Combat barrel/rifle is more accurate than I am.

M

Reactions: Simonsza1

Anyone have any experience with Radical Precision? Seems like a pretty good deal.

Bringing this back up to see what you decided. I’ve shot the 18” version of the ba spr barrel and it was a great shooter with 75gr stuff. Currently building another and looking at the Wilson.

Reactions: Bcamos
I have a 16" BA Fluted premium barrel that I just put into a build a week or so ago. I've zero'd it with bulk 55gr and it's hitting steel out to 300yds so far without much complaint. It didn't really group all that well with the 55gr stuff, but I have a few factory 69-77gr match options to try out once I have the time to give this a real accuracy test.