• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Wylde or 5.56 bolt action

Beezer911

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2020
Midwest
Hi everyone,
I wanted to throw this question out to you all to see if there’s anything I’ve missed in my searches. I’m looking for a bolt action in either .223 Wylde or 556. I have a ton of 5.56 ammo sitting around and would like to be able to shoot it through something that eats it slower than an AR (also nice when teaching kids to shoot). I know that extreme accuracy and 5.56 don’t belonging the same sentence, but I can hold pretty good groups through an AR so a bolt should be as good or better - but my expectations are realistic, no holes in holes at 300 yards (unless I’m lucky).

That said, the only production guns I’ve seen that are chambered in Wylde or 5.56 are the Ruger American Ranch (16 barrel, too short) and the Thompson Venture. The Thompson has a sport profile barrel and I’d like something a little heavier. Is there any other option out there that you all have seen short of going with a custom build, which gets into big bucks? I’m fine doing that for something like a 1000 yard 6.5 CM, but I’d rather not for something like this. I suppose my other option is a cheaper Savage and rebarrel it right away.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you may have and Happy New Year!

I bet any factory .223 will be fine shooting 5.56. I wouldn't worry too much.

I bet any factory .223 will be fine shooting 5.56. I wouldn't worry too much.
I had heard that shooting 5.56 through a .223 in a bolt gun was likely fine with respect to pressure (much stronger chamber and breech than an AR) but you’d erode the throat pretty quick.

Wylde has slightly more freebore if I recall correctly but it’s only a few thousandths, so effectively they’re the same. Like the others have said, no issue regardless. Buy the rifle you like.

Get something like this and see how it shoots. Might not need to change the barrel out. I had a Savage .223 years ago and it shot really good.

Erode the throat into.....say.....223 Wylde/5.56??? ;)
I kind of thought the same thing, but was worried that there was something I wasn’t considering. Honestly, when I heard of throat erosion it was from Howa when I asked them about whether their .223 would handle a 5.56. My first reaction was - so after it erodes a tad it’ll stop cause it’s kind of a bastardized Wylde at that point?

Last edited:
If you're only shooting light weights <70 gr, I wouldn't worry a out it. I'd be more concerned with barrel twist. I like to shoot my 223 out past 1000 yds, so I would go 223W and a 1:7 twist. Depends on what you want to do with it.

Reactions: camocorvette
OP: Not exactly what you asked for.... but have you taken look at the SAKO Model 85 Varmint .223 Rem. 1/8 R twist: a quality well build factory rifle.

In a bolt action I wouldn't worry. If you are aiming to shoot light bullets the pressure difference between 556 and 223 chamberings wouldn't matter in a bolt gun. If you are shooting heavies you likely aren't using a standard reamer to begin with.

In a bolt action I wouldn't worry. If you are aiming to shoot light bullets the pressure difference between 556 and 223 chamberings wouldn't matter in a bolt gun. If you are shooting heavies you likely aren't using a standard reamer to begin with.
I’d shoot heavier .223, but my 5.56 stockpile is mostly 55gr. I never thought about the fact that I’m shooting light bullets. That does make it less punishing.

My 223 bolt gun used a standard reamer that I then used a uni-throater on to get the throat I wanted for 88 elds and it is loaded way beyond any factory load 556 and has no pressure issues.

I would probably suggest going with a 7 twist with a wylde reamer because of the longer freebore (think it is 0.0619) or match reamer (0.090) for seating 75+ gr bullets out further. Should work with most stuff though it may be able to blow up some 55 gr if pushed hard.

Reactions: m1marty
I'm doing the same sort of project for the wife. Bolt action 223W to take advantage of the large amount of 556 and 223 match ammo we have for the ARs. Using a Krieger 1/7.7 M24 contour finished at 26. Ammo will be 55-77gr.
Should be lots of fun and super easy on her shoulder after a day at the range.
Using an old McMillan Rifle Team stock, the Krieger I mentioned above and an 80s Remington varmint 223/Leupold 12x as the donor- It won't break the bank either.
received_351496922857212.jpeg
20201202_153818.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
I just ordered a Ruger ranch 556. Exited to try it out. Wanted a short bolt gun. 16” barrel, Saker ASR 556 suppressor and Hogster R35 for night hunting

Have 700 hornady steel match HP laying around. Hoping it likes them

I know that extreme accuracy and 5.56 don’t belonging the same sentence

Who says that? There is nothing whatsoever preventing "extreme accuracy" from .223/5.56

Buy something with a fast twist and poke an AI reamer down there. It will shoot 5.56 just fine at a lower pressure than the .223/wylde chamber and if you reload (Which you really should) there is no reason NOT to do it in a bolt gun. Even if you don't reload (yet), still do it, shoot factory ammo and save the formed brass for when you decide to start shooting 75-80 grainers.

Don't worry too much about throat erosion, barrels are consumable and .223/5.56 are not a high erosion cartridge.

Tikka makes a t3x varmint or CTR in .223 now just be careful which one you pick cause they have 1/8 twists and one that has a 1/12. Go with 1/8.

Who says that? There is nothing whatsoever preventing "extreme accuracy" from .223/5.56

Buy something with a fast twist and poke an AI reamer down there. It will shoot 5.56 just fine at a lower pressure than the .223/wylde chamber and if you reload (Which you really should) there is no reason NOT to do it in a bolt gun. Even if you don't reload (yet), still do it, shoot factory ammo and save the formed brass for when you decide to start shooting 75-80 grainers.

Don't worry too much about throat erosion, barrels are consumable and .223/5.56 are not a high erosion cartridge.

I agree you can get great accuracy from .223. 5.56 for the most part is mil spec ammo and doesn’t have the consistency of good .223 ammo. I know that 5.56 match ammo exists, but I’ve never come across it, only .223 match. At least that’s been my experience.

Ive had good luck with 223W, accuracy wise I prefer shooting 223 out of it, even though it will shoot 556 just the same, I will use fort Scott 556 for hunting. This is in a AR platform however.

I agree you can get great accuracy from .223. 5.56 for the most part is mil spec ammo and doesn’t have the consistency of good .223 ammo. I know that 5.56 match ammo exists, but I’ve never come across it, only .223 match. At least that’s been my experience.

I wouldn't waste a bolt gun on just shooting the same ammo with the same accuracy at a slower rate than you already can.

Turn off the gas and manually cycle it if you want to shoot slower or with the kids.

If you are planning on reloading all your ammo, Id get the 5.56 chamber. You'll have both more flexibility in commercial ammo as well as a little more wiggle room.

Would depend highly on magazine as well as some mags allow you to load out to 2.550" and some are down at AR mag restricted OAL.

I have a 7.5 twist Mullerworks barrel with a Wylde chamber. Awesome shooting barrel with 40 vmax on up to 80 eld. No reason to go 5.56 chamber in my opinion. If you want to shoot the 88 a 7 twist would work for 50 grain vmax on up to 88 eld. Still I would go wylde over 5.56. If you want a rifle that’s similar to your ar RPR used to make a 5.56