• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Wylde question

Roadki11

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2013
near Mexico, TX
So I've looked all over and I'm pretty sure it's no big deal, but a basic 5.56 bolt will match up fine with a .223 Wylde barrel, right? (forgive my ignorance) I'm looking at putting together a decent upper for around 500ish yards and the Wylde chambered barrel seems to be the general consensus in the 223/5.56 precision world. Yes I would love a 6.8 or 6.5, but I get .223 from work and have the dyes already to reload .223, and cost efficiency plays a part. I'm looking at a WOA 20" or Criterion. Any specific twist reccomendations as well. Would there be that much of a difference between 1/7 and 1/8?. I'm hoping to eventually graduate to big boy pants and get a 300WM bolt gun to replace my .303 Brit in the future for a hunting/precision hybrid, but for now it's .223 time.

Generally speaking, a basic, mil-spec AR-15 bolt SHOULD be fine in terms of properly headspacing with any number of factory production barrels, however I have seen more than a few be out of spec just enough (whether the bolt itself, the barrel or a combination of stacking tolerances between the two) that you can run into problems.

As with any AR build in which you DO NOT buy a matched bolt with the barrel, it is best to either check it out yourself with a set of gauges, or if you aren't comfortable doing so or otherwise don't have the tools (or want to buy/rent them), get it done by a competent smith to make sure you are GTG before shooting it.

Both of the barrels you are considering are of very good quality and should deliver what you want/need without breaking the bank. In terms of twist...that all comes down to what pills you want to push with it. The heavier the bullet, the faster the twist you'll need to properly stabilize them. A 1:8 AR barrel is a good "all around" twist that will work with a pretty large range of bullet weights (say 55gr-77gr...and maybe more). The 1:7 really shines with projectiles heavier than that or LOOONG ones that just don't quite do it with the 1:8 twist. That said...I generally opt for 1:8 to 1:7.7 twist for .223/5.56 ARs given its versatility and performance. As for barrel length...you don't NEED 20" tube for reaching out to 500yds with accuracy, but if you are running the heavies, the addt'l MV you buy with the slightly longer barrel is nice to have. If you want to go shorter, the 18" WOA SPR barrels are hammers at 500yds with the proper ammo and shooter!

Thanks for the help. In distance/precision shooting do you guys recommend heavier bullets or lighter ones? I have my 16" 1/7 upper for heavy hog hunting rounds, so I probably won't be trying to take anything down at longer distances. Just trying to build this to get into the distance game.

Thanks for the help. In distance/precision shooting do you guys recommend heavier bullets or lighter ones? I have my 16" 1/7 upper for heavy hog hunting rounds, so I probably won't be trying to take anything down at longer distances. Just trying to build this to get into the distance game.

For max accuracy at extended ranges with a .223/5.56, I generally recommend, at least for mag-length reloads, something in the class of the 77gr SMKs or the Hornady 75gr BTHP (not the A-MAX...Berger also offers some impressive bullets in that range, but they generally cost more than the comparable SMKs and Hornady bullets). Depending on the conditions in which you are shooting, you may be able to get away with dropping down to the 68-69gr match fodder as well, but if you are reloading, you won't see much cost savings in doing so and you'll get better performance from the heavier bullets at longer ranges given the higher BCs.

So I've looked all over and I'm pretty sure it's no big deal, but a basic 5.56 bolt will match up fine with a .223 Wylde barrel, right? (forgive my ignorance) I'm looking at putting together a decent upper for around 500ish yards and the Wylde chambered barrel seems to be the general consensus in the 223/5.56 precision world. Yes I would love a 6.8 or 6.5, but I get .223 from work and have the dyes already to reload .223, and cost efficiency plays a part. I'm looking at a WOA 20" or Criterion. Any specific twist reccomendations as well. Would there be that much of a difference between 1/7 and 1/8?. I'm hoping to eventually graduate to big boy pants and get a 300WM bolt gun to replace my .303 Brit in the future for a hunting/precision hybrid, but for now it's .223 time.

Since you are hand loading consider a standard 223 chamber and a 1 in 7 twist. This will permit exploitation of hand loading with bullets designed for long range accuracy without the compromise poised by the Wylde chamber. I have been very pleased with Douglas barrels smithed by Frank White at CLE. With standard chamber in 1 in 7 twist, I am getting under a half minute with irons and sling shooting the 53 and 77 grain Sierra's and 80 grain Berger VLD. I load for ES and SD in single digits to help hold elevation at LR which effectively makes a bullseye target bigger. I shoot the 53 grain bullet on SR and reduces course targets. The 77's are used at 300 yards and the 80's are used at 500 to 1000 yards. The 80 grain bullets are not magazine compliant.

Last edited: