• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Wylde SPR Barrel Selection- 16" QPQ vs 18" Stainless

s11033

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2018
Hey guys,

I've been taking friends shooting pretty often and am wanting to build an inexpensive SPR-style upper in .223 Wylde to save the barrel life on my higher-end rifles in 6 ARC, 6 Creed, and other more powerful calibers. 95% of the time, we shoot between 50 and 200 yd, so I'll be loading inexpensive Hornady 55-62gr FMJs that are decently accurate. I always teach them on a .22 LR, but think most would have more fun stepping up to an easy-shooting scoped rifle than to my defensive carbine (14.5" mid-length, 3x Prism), which is usually what I let them try once they settle into the .22 LR.

I'm thinking about picking up a Primary Arms 3-18x50 SLx DMR scope, which has a nice ACSS reticle but looks like it can also be dialed decently well. I liked my old PA 4-14x44 for what it was, minus the turrets. This SLx seems to be much better in that department with locking turrets and a zero-stop. I think it will make a good match for an inexpensive, good'nuff fun gun / trainer. I can pick one up on Amazon for $399.

Ballistic Advantage SPR barrels are on sale at Primary Arms, and I can pick up a 16" QPQ-treated mid-length, or an 18" stainless rifle-length for $120 and $135 respectively. There's also a 20" stainless, but I don't think I need any more velocity than the 18" offers. When I take my gas guns past 600yd, they're wearing 6 ARC uppers (12.5", 20", or 24") anyway. The lower is nothing special but has a LaRue MBT-2 and a LuthAR MBA-1 stock.

Which of those barrels would you suggest for my application, and why? I've heard QPQ-treated barrels tend to last longer, but these both appear to be turned from 416R, so I'm not sure if the QPQ actually makes a difference or not. 55-62gr .223 doesn't exactly chew through barrels anyway... I'm leaning toward the 18" just because I tend to find rifle-length gas systems to be pleasant and don't have anything in 18" yet, but I don't want to do much cleaning on this one, so I'm open to the QPQ if that will make my life better.

The sale ends tonight, so I'll pull the trigger within the next couple of hours.

Thanks!

Lawndart

Last edited:
For your application it literally won't matter if you use a 16" or 18" barrel, QPQ or normal stainless, just pick one. The velocity difference between 16" and 18" is nominal and since you're loading anyway it's pretty moot, especially considering that you're only shooting out to 200 yards most of the time.
Yeah, agreed, the barrel length isn't really a factor. I was mostly curious whether QPQ would make my life better or not, but I feel like with a .223 shooting at a slow rate of fire, it probably won't matter either. I may just go with 18" since I don't already have one.

18''

This is why,
I'm leaning toward the 18" just because I tend to find rifle-length gas systems to be pleasant and don't have anything in 18" yet
That and because SPRs generally came equipped with such.
So, if yer gonna add another to the herd, why not spice up the party?

I've had a few of the 18" nitrided ballistic advantage SPR barrels, they are good plinker barrels. Had one dud but they replaced it with another. Accuracy is usually 1-1.2MOA with match ammunition. One of mine was a very good shooter and grouped 5/8" out of a mechanical rest using handloads.

Green Mountain Stainless barrels are good plinkers as well. My 16" has always shot right around 1MOA. The first time I fired it I got a 3/4" group at 100 using handloads.

A ballistic nitried 18" SPR barrel, some kind of quad rail, whatever muzzle device would be a good cheap wannabe SPR rifle.

Reactions: GhostFace
Thanks for the input guys. I'm kinda getting cold feet on BA after reading a lot of mixed reviews.

Should I just get this KAK instead? I'm going to be ordering A5 buffers from them anyway. I wanted to find a heavier contour barrel, but I guess this could be good enough.

Best,

Lawndart

Thanks for the input guys. I'm kinda getting cold feet on BA after reading a lot of mixed reviews.

Should I just get this KAK instead? I'm going to be ordering A5 buffers from them anyway. I wanted to find a heavier contour barrel, but I guess this could be good enough.

Best,

Lawndart
Owning a couple BA's and KAK's, I'd go KAK.
Came in here to say some things but it's already been covered, go 18" RLGS just for the softer shooting, beyond that no appreciable difference between 16"-18" for what you're doing.

Reactions: GhostFace
Owning a couple BA's and KAK's, I'd go KAK.
Came in here to say some things but it's already been covered, go 18" RLGS just for the softer shooting, beyond that no appreciable difference between 16"-18" for what you're doing.
Will do, thanks. I've had at least 1 KAK and it's been good to me. I wasn't sure about the lighter profile, but I figure it shouldn't matter too much for casual slow, aimed fire.

Do you guys think I can get away with a 1-10x Atibal X I have kicking around? I've been using it on a 12.5" 6 ARC SBR upper, but the laws in my state are changing, and I'm disassembling that upper until I get SBR paperwork on one of my lowers. I think $399 is pretty good for the PA 3-18 SLx I spotted on Amazon, but I could be persuaded either way. I guess I could always check it out and return it if it doesn't impress, since it's Amazon...

Lawndart

Nitride/ QPQ barrels will last longer than stainless and generally do not copper foul as bad, some 5R are also 60-90fps faster.
If the barrel isn't a real match grade barrel(Krieger, Bartlein, Hart, Shilen, Lilja, Douglas) I see no reason to buy a stainless.

i would pick an 18” for the rifle length gas and smooth recoil.

my BA 18” has been a good grouper, for my needs.

After taking them shooting a few times they should buy their own;)
That's the goal! It's just absurdly hard here in MA.

They need to jump through ridiculous hoops to buy a gun- safety course, lengthy application, referral letters, range membership prior to license issuance, interview with their local police chief, and in some cities, even a practical test on the local police range (which really just serves to delay the process). All in, it took me over 6 months of relentless chasing to get my license. So much for "shall not be infringed"...

But I'm trying to evangelize as many of my anti-gun friends as possible before I GTFO of here. In the meantime, I'll keep taking them shooting if they keep cooking for me, taking me out on boats, etc. :cool:

Lawndart

Last edited:
I found a 20" barrel kicking around in the back of my closet that I had completely forgotten about. It was on a wonky old rifle I got for a song at a pawn shop in MT. I bought it because it had a pre-ban lower, which is very valuable to me here.

It looks like the BA 20" SPR profile but doesn't appear to have any markings whatsoever... It might be an old Green Mountain or something like that. I'm going to take it out to the range this weekend and see how it groups before I buy anything. I forgot I have a dealer account with Faxon, and can get a Gunner 18" for $165, so I may go that route if this barrel won't group well enough.

I threw my Atibal X 1-10x30 on it, but I still ordered that PA SLx 3-18x50 off Amazon since I can always return it if I'm not impressed.

Lawndart

Last edited:
Hey guys, quick update.

I mounted up my mystery 20” barrel and new Primary Arms scope. I quite like it for $399.

IMG_3995.jpeg

I loaded up some 69gr HPBT SMKs and 73gr ELD-Ms over 24gr of Ramshot TAC (weighed charges). The mystery barrel did not really like them, shooting the SMKs between 1.25-1.5” at 100yd, and the ELDs at 1.5-2”.

I brought along a bag of my blasting loads- cheap 55gr FMJBTs over a starting charge of progressive-metered WC844, and I was surprised to see it was hovering right around MOA.

When I got home, I found out the twist rate is 1:10, and not the 1:8 I remembered. All the shots stabilized, but I’m no longer surprised by how the heavier bullets grouped. I’m thinking I might try loading some 55gr and 62gr Hornady FMJBTs over thrown Ramshot TAC charges to see how they do.

I think the barrel could have potential with light bullets. Hopefully I can test that this weekend with rounds shag are loaded a little more carefully than my blasting stuff. Open to suggestions on loads with TAC or WC844.

Lawndart

Reactions: Ernest 5.56
Try some 55gr varmint bullets over 24 or 26 grains of TAC.

I’ll try 24gr. I don’t mind it being a mild load, since 95+% of shooting will be inside of 200yd.

All I have on hand are 55 and 62gr Hornady FMJBTs and 40gr SP Armscors I use for 22 TCM. I’d like to try what I’ve got before I buy new stuff. I try to avoid needing a specific load with unique components for my gas guns. If it can hold MOA or slightly better, I’ll be happy. Given what it was doing with crappy no-name 55gr FMJBTs, I’m thinking the Hornadys are worth a shot.

I’ll try 24gr. I don’t mind it being a mild load, since 95+% of shooting will be inside of 200yd.

All I have on hand are 55 and 62gr Hornady FMJBTs and 40gr SP Armscors I use for 22 TCM. I’d like to try what I’ve got before I buy new stuff. I try to avoid needing a specific load with unique components for my gas guns. If it can hold MOA or slightly better, I’ll be happy. Given what it was doing with crappy no-name 55gr FMJBTs, I’m thinking the Hornadys are worth a shot.

You are not going to get consistent MOA precision with FMJ bullets fired from an AR-15. With the Hornady 55 grain FMJ, you can occasionally get 1.25 MOA extreme spreads, but with a larger sample size of 50 shots, the average ES will be greater than that.

hornady_55_fmj_10_shot_group_measured_01-2890062.jpg

hornady_55_grain_FMJ_training_10_shot_gr-2890064.jpg

hornady_55_fmj_handload_form_krieger_bar-2890066.jpg

hornady_55_fmj_five_10_shot_groups_at_10-2890063.jpg

….

Reactions: Josh555 and s11033
You are not going to get consistent MOA precision with FMJ bullets fired from an AR-15. With the Hornady 55 grain FMJ, you can occasionally get 1.25 MOA extreme spreads, but with a larger sample size of 50 shots, the average ES will be greater than that.

….

….

Thank you for this, super useful. I will give the 55s and 62s a try this weekend and go from there.