• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223ai completed

223ai

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2006
Texas
Well, after what feels like forever, my 223ai is finally complete. The first gunsmith I took the components to did a fine job of truing everything up, but the barrel was chambered incorrectly and the brass would blow in half. Unfortunately, the problem was not corrected in a satisfactory manner and I took it to a different gunsmith to re-barrel.

The new gunsmith got the rifle in September, the Rock 8 twist barrel came in about 6 months later, and it took the new guy about 3 months to re-barrel. Needless to say, this has been the project from hell...until I shot it today.

I fireformed about 50 rounds today, and the rifle shot really well. No special load, no special brass, just 24.2ish grains of varget (I think), fed small rifle primers, and 75 amaxes in virgin winchester brass. I alsop used some factory black hills. No problems with brass fireforming, and I think the target speaks for itself.

223ai1.jpg

223ai2.jpg

FFbrass.jpg

Fire-Formed brass vs. standard loaded .223 round.
target.jpg

5 shots. Pulled the last one...I really need to work on my shooting.

I was going to sell it to fund another project, but have definitely decided to keep it. Lesson learned on vetting the gunsmith prior to sending projects, but I am happy with the results. Can't wait to start load development with the FF brass.

Re: 223ai completed

nice looking rifle, well worth the wait now that it is in hand. I am building one right now.

Josh, I'm glad to see it finally worked out for you. I was wondering if you were going to run out of patience with the project? See.....I told you that FF loads can shoot well. (grin)

It looks great!!!!

Thanks Brad, after seeing the results of your ackley, I couldn't NOT build one. Thanks for the help with everything.

Josh

Finally!

I am just glad that it is done so that I don't have to hear the bitching and moaning anymore. lol

How was the chamber messed up from the first smith? I am no gunsmith by any means, but it just seems to me like it cant be that hard to chamber a barrel correctly. I am sure there is more to it than it sounds. It seems pretty straight forward. Find center make sure you are straight and cut! Anyway what was wrong?? Rifle looks nice!! Lee

I'm not a gunsmith, so I can't speak to the difficulty. I can say that the first gunsmith did not use a PTG reamer, and that he did say that his go/no go gauges showed that it was chambered properly. The brass showed otherwise, as I used factory loaded ammo and my own loads with the bullet kissing the lands to fireform initially, and lost 75% of the brass. The other 25% did not look anything like what they should.

At the end of the day, I firmly believe that the headspacing was off.

Glad it's fixed, and really enjoy this rifle.

Yo boys, it was good to meet you (and put up with Barcarrat...:).)at the range today. Rifle looks good, once you get your loads worked up we need to strech it's legs on the long range!

Looking forward to it. It would be great to get a group together for some training down in Kingsville at some point as well...I'll provide the Dos Equis!

Also, thanks to you, I am looking to convince my wife on a .300 whisper...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How was the chamber messed up from the first smith? I am no gunsmith by any means, but it just seems to me like it cant be that hard to chamber a barrel correctly. I am sure there is more to it than it sounds. It seems pretty straight forward. Find center make sure you are straight and cut! Anyway what was wrong?? Rifle looks nice!! Lee </div></div>

I sent one out the door to a really nice guy in TN that did the same thing! He took it to a local smith to have it checked.... Who'd done the same thing to a 15 rifle order. Long story short, there are some long headspace gauges out there. I've since replaced mine.

I am wanting to have my .223 made into an Ackley Improved but the way the economy is right now I will just be able to rechamber the factory barrel. Then I will save up for a 20" Rock 5R and chamber it for the AI.