• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223AI just shoot match .223 to form cases

pc3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2008
Australia
Is this generally the way .223 AI owners are fireforming for .223ai ? Just find a factory load of .223 ammo that the rifle likes and shoot that until you have plenty of cases ?

Re: .223AI just shoot match .223 to form cases

It doesn't take a lot of cases to feed an AI if you don't beat them up too badly. I have mine separted in lots and my oldest lot of R-P hulls has 19 firings on it now.

I've never fired a factory loaded round in any of my AI's. I just load up the parent chambering in the AI dies and shoot stuff. A worked up FF load usually shoots as good as the rifle can shoot. The last batch of Lapua brass I formed was loaded with 75Amax's and ran out to the 1000 yard line, they shot great, just slower than loads in formed cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 223 case will form a "cast" of the chamber when fire-forming.

Kirk R </div></div>

It really is that simple. 223/223AI and 243/243AI

100_2483.jpg

I prefer to form 223AI cases using primed cases, 10 gr of 2400, fill to the bottom of the neck with malto meal or cream of wheat, and seal with a small cotton plug. When fired the cases are nicely formed, no bullets sent downrange, no wear on bore. Works for me.

pimpgun, have you wore out any of your 223AI barrels yet? My first one had around 4000 rounds through it when I sold it and it's still going strong. Steve Timm has 20,000+ through one of his and its still an MOA rifle. I just never looked at FF'ing as a waste of barrel life, I do hunt with FF loads too.

My buddy uses the COW/pistol powder to form his 243AI cases, but I just have never done it that way.

My second 223ai is being put together on a Rock barrel that I bought from Brad Arnett, and should be done next week. Part of the fun, to me, is seeing how accurate the fireforming load is compared to the actual formed load. I'm a pretty miserable shot, and I look at fireforming as simply another practice session.

Can't wait to get this new rifle out to the range.

I can't wait to hear how that one does for you Josh, be sure and post up a range report!!!

Brad, I have not shot a 223AI barrel out, and I don't intend to do so in the near future. I also see no good reason to wear the barrel, burn the extra powder, or buy the bullets just to FF. I've done all of the above, just choose not too. Either FF method works, mine suits me.