• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 223ai mag capacity

223ai

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2006
Texas
I'm shooting a 700 (with a lengthened mag box), an 8 twist Rock, and an hs precision stock. The rifle shoots lights out, and I was ringing steel at 600 with regularity yesterday (26.4 TAC, formed win. cases, cci 400's, 75 amax). I was seeing ejector wipe and about half of the cases, but it was in the mid 90's with high humidity here in Houston. I'll probably back that load down a bit and rock on.

This rifle is great...except for one thing...I can only fit 3 formed cases into the mag, and that seems weak. I know Glen's system is the answer in the long run, and I am using his gear for my 6.5x47L build. In the interim, is there anything I can do to increase belly capacity? Is it possible that a .308 mag spring will reduce the capacity? I already have a 223 spring on order from Midway (cheap insurance)...

Thanks,
Josh

Re: 223ai mag capacity

I tried the 308 follower and it won't work. I am patiently awaiting the 223 AI mags to become available.

The follower is a 223 follower, and it feeds and functions smooth with factory and fireformed brass. That's what is tripping me up, I should be able to fit at least five in the belly.

Does it have the ears on the bottom of the follower that stick down. If it does, you can cut those off and let the follower ride a little lower.