• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223AI throat and COAL

longrange2

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2008
Rocky Mountains
I just picked up a .223AI Bartlein barreled action with only 200 rounds fired so far, and built by a fairly well known shop. This rifle seems to have a very long throat. I expected it to be throated for heavier bullets, but the 75 grain AMAX doesn't have a full bullet diameter of bearing surface inside the neck of the case and will barely fit an AICS .223 mag. The OAL when touching the lands is 2.555

The 77 grain Sierra is somewhat better but the 69 grain Sierra almost falls out of the case. I know that the throats are cut longer on many .223AIs to maximize powder volume with heavier bullets, but this seems excessive. The smith said don't worry about seating depth, just seat bullets to base of neck and shoot. All of my other custom rifles I am typically only 0.005 to 0.025 off the lands.

Before I waste a bunch of time and components I was just wondering what throat lengths others have and how they shoot.

Attachments

• photo47857.jpg
    photo47857.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 13
  • photo47858.jpg
    photo47858.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 21
  • photo47859.jpg
    photo47859.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 9