• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223AI Varget vs RL15

*Nine

Tactical Operator
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2009
USA
Now that my .223AI is put together, I'm looking to develop a good load for it. From what I've found Varget and RL15 are the two most popular choices. It seems I see more loads with the RL15 though. I think I remember seeing something somewhere once where people were talking about RL15 giving them higher velocities than Varget before they got pressure signs. Right now I'm using Varget to fireform my cases, but I'll be buying some powder soon and I'm just curious about the pros and cons of these two powders. I'm shooting 75gr AMax out of a 22" Lilja barrel.

Re: .223AI Varget vs RL15

I've been running Varget in my .223 20" LTR and it hums with 75 A-maxs. 25grs and no pressure and geting around 2890 fps. It's an absolute chuck slayer. Too bad it's gone becouse my custom is just about done. Plan on running the same bullets though. Let me know how you make out.

Thanks,
Jamie

PS - It's been my expreience with the A-max's they like to jump a little most between .010 and .017 off the lands.

I use to run Varget in my .223ai w/75's. Made the switch to R15 when my varget was gone.

Running less powder and getting higher fps then the Varget.

Like SS said, you will get more out of '15. It gave me better accuracy also. I'm a Varget slut but my 223AI got '15.

I've been running 26.0-26.25 gr of varget in my 223ai with the 75s. How much of 15 have you guys been running? Or at least compared to your varget loads?
Thanks

I have been running 26.7gr Varget with 75gr amax in WW brass but having sticky case issues, not necessarily pressure related. 3022fps, 24" tube. When I run out of Varget I plan to look for some -15 but I have 500 rounds worth of the stuff and don't use it in anything else

I was running 26.7g of Varget to hit 3050 out of my schneider 1/8", 22". I'm currently running 26.2g of R15 to match that velocity.

What brass SuperSeal110?

I am a little disappointed with the velocities I am getting out of the AI compared to what has been reported here, I would like to switch from WW to Lapua brass and intend to but I can't get any until October.

I like TAC for the 223AI. Cant remember the velocities, but it was the highest and also had the lowest ES/SD of anything I tried. A little temp sensitive though.

Thanks guys. I'll pick up some RL15 and really get down to working up a load.

Might take a gander at H 335.

It's somewhat temp sensitive though. WA winter loads would probably have been a bad idea to shoot for you last week.

H335 and TAC are good. They both meter VERY WELL. Like Varget, in my rifle they didn't give me the velocity of '15. That being said, all three were within 100 fps of '15.

I was only getting 2800 ft/sec with 26.2 grains of Varget. 22 inch, 1 in 7.5 twist Rock Creek, 80 grain Amaxes. Shoots very well. Just not getting the velocities I thought I could get either.

I was also having early pressure signs with this load.

Eddie

Playing with quickload RL15 really looks like the best powder for .223AI with 75s, or Win748

anyone tried 748