• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well, .223 Remington or .308 Winchester are the regulation calibers. IF, you are shooting straight .223 Remington ammo I think you would be o.k., as the regulation is on the ammo, not chamber.

The AI would shoot in F-open.

I disagree. Rule 3.4 (b) clearly states: F-Class Target Rifle (F-TR) - A rifle restricted to the chambers of unmodified .308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO or unmodified .223 Remington/5.56mm X 45 NATO cartridge cases.

I disagree. Rule 3.4 (b) clearly states: F-Class Target Rifle (F-TR) - A rifle restricted to the chambers of unmodified .308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO or unmodified .223 Remington/5.56mm X 45 NATO cartridge cases.

Yep, I got it wrong. I remembered incorrectly. Thank you sir for the clarification.

To the OP, it really does not matter what class for the beginner/club shooter. That is the best part of F-Class. You can run whatever you like... just not anything that is too loud (muzzle breaks) or too quiet (cans).

So to the OP if you haven't decoded the conversation above, an AI would be in F-Open.

I think holdoff's first post said F-TR and was edited to say F-Open. Denys disagreed with the F-TR call, but the new site code doesn't seem to show edits.

I can see where this would be confusing and I do not think holdoff edited his post.

I disagreed that the rule applied to the ammo; I pointed to the exact wording that said the chamber was the deciding factor.

Regardless of the ammo the OP uses in his .223 AI chambered rifle, he will be shooting in F-Open.

I apologize for the confusion, I should have made my disagreement more clear.

I knew I could shoot an AI in open, I just wanted to try 90gr in an AI in T/R. I don't have a 223 AI, just something I was toying with building. I have 6.5 Creedmoor build in progress that I plan to shoot as my open gun. Thanks again for the help.